Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
You should be able to let it function like a mouse on most basic level, but obviously the more time developers integrate it into apps the more things it'll be able to do.

Bing able to grab an image in photoshop and pinch the air to zoom or control / move it around etc.

BetterTouchTools as already started adding support for LeapMotion. So that will add even more usability within the OS and with other Apps.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
This is definitely not the first delay of the leap. When I preordered it towards the end of last year I was told it would ship in either December or early January. Then it was pushed back to the May date, and now July... Its getting to the point where I feel like its never coming. My initial excitement about the whole thing is long gone

I canceled my initial pre-order from summer last year a while ago .. I lost excitement a while back and I am close to loosing interest all together.

T.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
is it really about more beta testing?
or is it because HP's engineers are getting priority access and jumping the queue in front of those who pre-ordered? :mad:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This is definitely not the first delay of the leap. When I preordered it towards the end of last year I was told it would ship in either December or early January. Then it was pushed back to the May date, and now July... Its getting to the point where I feel like its never coming. My initial excitement about the whole thing is long gone

Its only the second delay. But Yes, they should have a better handle on development.

The delays are probably good as I suspect the early units really sucked.

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Its only the second delay. But Yes, they should have a better handle on development.

The delays are probably good as I suspect the early units really sucked.

We're on the Leap dev program and have been playing around with an early device for a few months now.

All I'd say is that it's remarkably accurate and that weird feeling of it being 'magic' in some way is quite uncanny! There's definitely no need for any upgrade to the hardware as far as I can see.

We threw in Leap support for an HTML5 test-game we made and not only was it ridiculously easy to implement, but it actually makes the game more fun.

I definitely don't think it's as gimmicky as the Kinect and can imagine some amazingly creative applications both for entertainment and certain workflows.

The delay is a pain, but I'd certainly stick with it, the thing's rad!

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Hadn't heard about this (that I recall) until seeing this story on the sidebar. After looking at it and thinking about it a bit I went ahead and pre-ordered. July isn't that far away, but I haven't been waiting like many others.

While us early adopters are important we're not really the bulk of their potential profit. When they've got these things in Best Buy and Target and everyone has heard about them and buying them as Christmas gifts, that's when the company will succeed. If they botch the launch then even if they're in the big box stores no one will care because they'll have been told that the product sucks.

Besides, it's only a matter of time before these things become ubiquitous.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Why would I want to be waving my hands around in front of my computer?

It's not just about waving your hands around it is about how you can control the app with your hands. Some apps would feel more natural moving it with hands.

I would like to see a Eve Online integration.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I hope it works...

This is a great and interesting concept. I hope it works the way shown on the video.
Now, how long can you hold your arm up in the air before it gets tired?
I think this will be a great presentation and show-off tool but to replace a mouse? Hmmm. We'll have to wait another 3 months...

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Why would I want to be waving my hands around in front of my computer?

The use i was looking forward to it was in the garage. I take my laptop down to feed an lcd tv on the wall (sling box/netflix/itunes).

Having the computer in the garage is fantastic for pulling up shop manuals, diy instructions/videos etc while tinkering. Or just to kill time.

But dirty hands and clean laptop is a no go, having a garage keyboard and mouse is an option, but then at times you'll end up with clean hands on a dirty device. Absolute first world problem, but whatever, i'm sitting on a bunch of bb rewards and theres nothing really there to spend them on.

I had planned on picking up one of these from bb, give it a try to see if it can suit quick casual use without having to physically touch anything. If it can a pocket will be cut into the workbench infront of where my laptop sits for the unit to be permanently seated.

Plus more importantly i could be a dink and show it off.

As it stands looks like it will be released after my rewards expires.

Last edited:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I once spent two years developing a machined product when I was young, and to reach a target ship date we'd set for ourselves, rushed everything the last 2 weeks and skimped a bit on some refinements we would rather have made. What did people get when they unboxed & installed them? Not products that were the culmination of 2 years of intense design & mfg work. They got a rushed product that felt and worked like one. Handling thousands of complaints and returns destroyed our finances, our reputation, and our will.

A little delay and a few grumbly customers is a small inconvenience compared to issuing thousands of potentially less-than-satisfactory products and dealing with the fallout on an individual basis.

Wise decision. Make sure you're comfortable that it's the best it can possibly be at the time you ship, or don't ship.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'm pleasantly surprised as to far Leap Motion has come. They're starting a whole new era of technology, beyond this one product.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Looking from the demo so far, I can see it works excellently. No lag, no heavy processing necessary for the input itself. Almost like iPad touch input, only we don't touch the display. Smudge free!
I can see Apple could just buy the company. Give them time.

Those people on LEAP going to be rich if it's succeed. And they earn it, I think.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
back-to-formula.jpg

Back to formula?

Petr Fodor

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2013
Survey - who is the Leap Motion typical user

I see there are lot of Leap fans. I am the developer who created two Leap Motion apps Sortee and Midnight. We at Flow want to create more amazing application for the controller. I would like to ask you a few questions on your expectations about this device, such as what type of apps you are currently missing etc. Would you mind filling a short questionnaire? Thanks a lot in advance!

LINK TO THE SURVEY: http://bit.ly/Leap_Survey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.