Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kvdv

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Hi,

This seems like an obvious question, but after searching, I still haven't found the answer.

It's like this: I've added a network volume at home so it's mounted automatically when I login (an AFP share on my NAS). This works fine, but the problem is that when I use my laptop at work, where my NAS is not available, I get this message saying that the NAS is not available. But osx keeps trying multiple times, and I receive the message a couple of times and it also slows down the general responsiveness of the os.

So I thought: maybe I should start working with Locations? So I made a location "home" and a location "Work". This way I can also change the network adapter from WIFI to Ethernet which is convenient.

However, I have no idea how to link the Login Items in the User preferences to the chosen Location? How do you make these work together? I must be missing something, right?

Thanks,
Kris

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi,

This seems like an obvious question, but after searching, I still haven't found the answer.

It's like this: I've added a network volume at home so it's mounted automatically when I login (an AFP share on my NAS). This works fine, but the problem is that when I use my laptop at work, where my NAS is not available, I get this message saying that the NAS is not available. But osx keeps trying multiple times, and I receive the message a couple of times and it also slows down the general responsiveness of the os.

So I thought: maybe I should start working with Locations? So I made a location "home" and a location "Work". This way I can also change the network adapter from WIFI to Ethernet which is convenient.

However, I have no idea how to link the Login Items in the User preferences to the chosen Location? How do you make these work together? I must be missing something, right?

Thanks,
Kris

Simple answer, you can't, they have nothing in common.

kvdv

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Simple answer, you can't, they have nothing in common.

So the "Login Items" in your User preferences will always open, regardless of the Location you have chosen?.. Hmm.. this is not right...

If this is true, are there tools I can use for this purpose? In other words : tools that will work with different Locations and specific "Login Items", in function of your location?

Thanks,
Kris

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
So the "Login Items" in your User preferences will always open, regardless of the Location you have chosen?.. Hmm.. this is not right...

If this is true, are there tools I can use for this purpose? In other words : tools that will work with different Locations and specific "Login Items", in function of your location?

Thanks,
Kris

It is right and it is how it always worked, location in Network Preferences is just to make it easier to manually switch Network based on location, it is there so that you can use the Menu status to change it fast, nothing more.
It is not an iphone where more is possible.

Sadly I am not aware of such software, just did a quick search, did not show much

kvdv

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
It is right and it is how it always worked,

I meant to say : this is not a good implementation, this could be improved

location in Network Preferences is just to make it easier to manually switch Network based on location, it is there so that you can use the Menu status to change it fast, nothing more.
It is not an iphone where more is possible.

"This is not an iphone" is a bit weird, because we're talking about a powerful laptop with lots of resources and a powerful desktop O/S. It should be able to do more than a smartphone. :)

Sadly I am not aware of such software, just did a quick search, did not show much

I found one myself : it's called ControlPlane, and you can do many, many stuff with it. http://www.controlplaneapp.com/

Thanks for the input!
Kris

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I meant to say : this is not a good implementation, this could be improved

"This is not an iphone" is a bit weird, because we're talking about a powerful laptop with lots of resources and a powerful desktop O/S. It should be able to do more than a smartphone. :)

I found one myself : it's called ControlPlane, and you can do many, many stuff with it. http://www.controlplaneapp.com/

Thanks for the input!
Kris

It indeed could be much better than it is now.

I said "not an iphone because I am pretty sure things like this can be done on an iPhone, on a Mac it might be more difficult since it does not have cellular build in but it should be possible with wireless network connection.

I will check that software out, if it indeed does the thing you want it to do then that is great.
Thanks for the link.

Edit: I did find something similar but it was not up to date and confusing, something like context aware .... with google, but a different site.

This one: http://www.symonds.id.au/marcopolo/

Edit Again: It actually says it is based on the software in the link I gave you here, stupid (Me), should have read better.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.