Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nobbyclark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Perth, Scotland
I have posted this elsewhere, including the Apple support forum, but thought I would try here as there are lots of useful threads and you seem a knowledgeable bunch.

I bought a brand new Mini 6 days ago, primarily to use for watching video whilst travelling. So I transferred a load of films onto it in anticipation. Immediately it became apparent that the screen had a problem. Not the resolution or the brightness, both of which are fine for my needs. But the whole display has vertical lines down it in landscape mode, which are horizontal if you flip it to portrait i.e. they appear to be "burned" in.

Here is a picture taken from my iPhone, with the lines particularly noticeable on the left, although they are across the whole display:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/img0602vk.jpg/

(Note that if I do a screen grab on the Mini, the lines are not present).

Has anyone else seen this problem? The wierd thing is that you can see what is under the lines, it is just that the image looks like it has a vertical grid placed on top it. I have tried resetting to factory settings (twice) but no change. I thought it might have happened after I performed the update to 6.0.1 but I think that is a coincidence.

I have taken it back to the supplying store (Dixons at Heathrow T5) and they acknowledge it is a problem and they are happy to replace it, but only when they get stock in. They have also suggested taking it to an Apple store as they may have more stock (it's a 64Gb White/silver, wifi only). Dixons don't know when they will get stock.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Definitely faulty - get a replacement. Still waiting for my 64GB Wifi+Cellular to arrive and it is always a concern with screens so hoping it won't have colouration problems or dead pixels. My original iPad's screen is perfect.

gustavolopezr

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2013
Hi. Im having that same problem. The only thing is that i bought it on the us and came to notice the lines in venezuela. I thought that it was the original plastic that protect the front and the rear of the ipad. What did you end up doing? I dont know what to do

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
kinda looks like a standard, low definition screen to me when viewing video or photos. But really it is hard to tell from that photo. How much of the screen is that? if you are up close or zoomed into a 2x2 section of the screen it probably will look like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.