Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Sorry if this has been posted but the most recent news from several sources are saying no 5s and iOS 7 until Sept/Oct. So what will they be showing at WWDC in June?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Sorry if this has been posted but the most recent news from several sources are saying no 5s and iOS 7 until Sept/Oct. So what will they be showing at WWDC in June?

You're right, the iPhone is the only product they make, what else could they possibly talk about?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
What they've always shown: iOS and Mac OS X.

I hope they show OSX 10.9, but last year they released the beta in February and we still haven't seen it yet. iOS 7 is a given though, they release the beta right after WWDC.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
You're right, the iPhone is the only product they make, what else could they possibly talk about?

Well seeing as how they pretty much completely ignore their computers these days, you would think the iPhone and the iPad are all they make. There have been what? 3 new iPads and a couple new iPhones since they updated the iMac? Dont even get me started on the Mac Pro...

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I hope they show OSX 10.9, but last year they released the beta in February and we still haven't seen it yet. iOS 7 is a given though, they release the beta right after WWDC.

Yes, it certainly is odd. I remember there was a source claiming that OS X 10.9 engineers were being pulled away to work on iOS 7, which is becoming increasingly delayed. Seems like Ive's involvement in the Human Interfaces team is producing some exciting work, including Mac OS X.

Perhaps this is the year that Apple's software takes the spotlight, especially after a lacklustre iOS 6. As for 10.9, they may be waiting to show off something really cool and different.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Yes, it certainly is odd. I remember there was a source claiming that OS X 10.9 engineers were being pulled away to work on iOS 7, which is becoming increasingly delayed. Seems like Ive's involvement in the Human Interfaces team is producing some exciting work, including Mac OS X.

Perhaps this is the year that Apple's software takes the spotlight, especially after a lacklustre iOS 6. As for 10.9, they may be waiting to show off something really cool and different.

Lets hope so...

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Well seeing as how they pretty much completely ignore their computers these days, you would think the iPhone and the iPad are all they make. There have been what? 3 new iPads and a couple new iPhones since they updated the iMac? Dont even get me started on the Mac Pro...

I don't really think it's fair to compare mobile devices with computers. The latter has remained, as a whole, unchanged for several years. Computers are also more expensive and tend to be upgraded less often, so it's understandable why we see mobile devices updated more often than computers.

However, I do share some concern with you about Apple's seemingly decreasing interest in computers.

As for the iPhone 5S, I'm not too concerned. It's the software that really matters, and WWDC/iOS 7 looks promising this year...

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

The iPhone 5 was released less than 6-7 months ago. Are you saying you want Apple to release phones every 6-7 months? If that was the case how could people upgrade? Masses of iPhone users would not be allowed to upgrade unless they paid full price. The annual release has been around for a while, I don't see why Apple would change it.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Are you saying you want Apple to release phones every 6-7 months? If that was the case how could people upgrade? Masses of iPhone users would not be allowed to upgrade unless they paid full price.

people are upgrade eligible all the time. most are locked into two year agreements and can't upgrade every iphone anyway, and still apple releases a new iphone every year. why do they do this if all the people who bought last year's model can't upgrade? because people are upgrade eligible all the time.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Keep in mind the Software makes the Iphone and every smartphone.So if the new iOS is really good the new Iphone will be a real winner.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Are you saying you want Apple to release phones every 6-7 months? If that was the case how could people upgrade?

Investors are pushing Apple to release them faster. People's upgrades are up all the time. And because Samsung and HTC are pushing out updated phones faster, some people may choose to go with the newer phone. Also, with a regular schedule, it kills iPhone sales over the summer when people assume a new phone is coming out every fall. Apple seems to be testing the waters with quick iPad hardware refreshes. I think in the next year or two, you will see more frequent iPhone updates.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Latest generation of iOS and OS X software.

Maybe MacBook udpates and iCloud updates too.

Hardware will be fall.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Investors are pushing Apple to release them faster. People's upgrades are up all the time. And because Samsung and HTC are pushing out updated phones faster, some people may choose to go with the newer phone. Also, with a regular schedule, it kills iPhone sales over the summer when people assume a new phone is coming out every fall. Apple seems to be testing the waters with quick iPad hardware refreshes. I think in the next year or two, you will see more frequent iPhone updates.

I think you're mistaken. Carriers are still selling a lot of the 4 and 4s.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I think you're mistaken. Carriers are still selling a lot of the 4 and 4s.

Of course they are. I never said they weren't although that has nothing to do with what I was talking about. But investors are not happy with Apple's predictable year long release schedule. It has made it too easy for potential customers to upgrade to a different phone.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Apple needs to skip the useless "S" upgrade and come out with the iPhone 6. Everytime they come out with an S model it makes the upgrade look like a gimmick. If they come out withthe 5S, expect their stock to fall even more.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Apple needs to skip the useless "S" upgrade and come out with the iPhone 6. Everytime they come out with an S model it makes the upgrade look like a gimmick. If they come out withthe 5S, expect their stock to fall even more.

The S models have always sold very well, and I anticipate that the 5s will continue that trend. A lot will depend on the actual upgrades present in the device, but come September there will be millions and millions of loyal iOS users who will be eligible to upgrade the 4s they received 2 years prior standing in line for their 5s. Hell there will be millions of 5 owners standing in that line also most likely. Fact of the matter is, Apple saves a lot of money by reusing the frame of their previous model and I don't see that changing for a while.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

I don't mind the S models. They are always much faster than the original model. I had the 3G and when i upgraded to the 3GS there was a large difference in speed. The problem is that we have reached a point in cell phones where increases in speed and power don't really matter anymore. I don't even think that the software out currently even takes full advantage of the 4S's hardware. Peoples interest in mobile will start to move away from the Hardware and more into the software which is why i am hoping iOS7 will be a game changer which it should be with all the changes in software development currently going on.

What i hate about apple is they release a new software update that you know the previous phone can handle perfectly but make it exclusive to the newest model as we have seen with Siri when the 4S was released, Video recording with the 3GS, even taking pictures while video recording with the iPhone 5 which you can't do with the 4S.

Also if they come out with the 5S then that would mean i would have the most up to date body style for another year! :)

Last edited:

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
If the 5s comes with only an A7 chip, 12-13 megapixel camera and iOS 7, that will be enough for me to sell my 5 and get it. If I dont get the S4 before WWDC :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.