Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryanscott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Okay, bare with me on this one. I had been using an Apple TV 2 successfully for two years streaming content from my 27" iMac. Occasionally the connection would drop, but that was almost always fixed by a restart.

A couple of weeks ago I had a major hard drive failure on my iMac and had to start from scratch. In the process, I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion. Since then, I have not been able to get Home Sharing on the Apple TV to work. Wasn't sure if this was a matter if just tinkering with settings, or if it might have had something to do with upgrading to Mountain Lion.

My setup is this: The 27 inch upstairs in my office. The Apple TV downstairs in the living room. Prior to the crash, everything had been working fine, including connecting to the network with the iPad, our second iMac, and, of course, the Apple TV. Home sharing worked fine. I need to emphasize here that this was all done without a router.

Anyways, today I tried bucking down and figuring it out. Unable to do it on my own, I contacted Apple Support. Basically they told me that I needed a router to get Home Sharing to work. What she said was that I could not create a wifi network from my computer and simultaneously use Internet Sharing for the Apple TV. Meaning I need a router to get it working. She was flabbergasted that it had worked previously without a router. She didn't think that was possible. At all. She basically thought I was on crack.

So before I go out and buy a router, I thought I'd try this forum. I just don't get it. It seems to me that with the wifi capabilities of the iMac, I shouldn't need a router. And I didn't!!! For the entire time I've had the Apple TV until I installed Mountain Lion!! So I'm stuck, frustrated, and ready to throw our houseful of Apple products out the window. For what it's worth, she advised that I purchase a dual band 2.4 router or an Airport router.

One final note: I tried many of the suggested remedies to network problems. Turning Sharing on and off, restarting, deauthorizing and reauthorizing...nothing.

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It may be silly to ask this but you DID select to turn on homesharing in iTunes on the "host" iMac, right? Also need to ensure you use the same AppleID. Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked.

bryanscott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
It may be silly to ask this but you DID select to turn on homesharing in iTunes on the "host" iMac, right? Also need to ensure you use the same AppleID. Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked.

Yes, and yes.

I keep telling myself that it's just something simple like this, but my conversation with Apple Support (ie, "You need a router!") suggests that it's not.

bryanscott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
I'm really hoping someone can address the router vs. non-router question. I'm finding no definitive answers for this, no matter how much searching I do.

Somebody. Throw me a bone.

Last edited:

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
I'm really hoping someone can address the router vs. non-router question. I'm finding no definitive answers for this, no matter how much searching I do.

Somebody. Throw me a bone.

I am asking this in a sincere way and not being a jerk. Are you sure you already don't have a router? I am wondering how do you connect your ipad to wifi?

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
I am asking this in a sincere way and not being a jerk. Are you sure you already don't have a router? I am wondering how do you connect your ipad to wifi?

Concur with this question...

How does the internet enter your system, cable or DSL? Ethernet into the Mac? You likely have some component in the middle that may include wireless capability. It is at least a modem, possibly a router.

bryanscott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
How does the internet enter your system, cable or DSL? Ethernet into the Mac? You likely have some component in the middle that may include wireless capability. It is at least a modem, possibly a router.

I'm using Cable Internet Service. Yes, a modem is in the middle. Basic Motorola modem—not a router.

Last edited:

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
So cable from the wall to the modem, ethernet from the modem to the iMac, internet sharing turned on (for the other iMac and iPad and hopefully aTV)?

Is that about right?

bhaveshp

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
If you've got multiple devices able to reach the Internet (2 iMacs, iPad, Apple TV etc), then some device in your network is acting as a router.

The router acts to distribute IP addresses to each device, and perform NAT.

Given what you've stated most likely:

1) The Motorola "modem" is probably a modem / router combo. Does it have Wi-Fi built in? Can you find the model #?

OR

2) Your iMac can act as a router.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/26/how-to-using-your-mac-as-a-nat-router/

bryanscott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
So cable from the wall to the modem, ethernet from the modem to the iMac, internet sharing turned on (for the other iMac and iPad and hopefully aTV)?

Is that about right?

That's exactly right. That's how it was when it worked before 2 weeks ago, and that's what it's like now. Nothing has changed except my operating system.

----------

The Motorola "modem" is probably a modem / router combo. Does it have Wi-Fi built in? Can you find the model #?

The modem's model number is SB5102. I have always been under the impression that everything was happening directly through the iMac.

And when I think back to buying the Apple TV, at no point was I ever instructed to pick up a router. This is all news to me!

----------

OSX 10.8.3 has a significantly different hierarchy for networking/wi-fi configurations, so I can't really follow this. (I should add here that while I've considered myself computer savvy since the mid-80s, I find configuring anything network-related on a Mac to be endlessly frustrating.)

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Assuming your Internet sharing is activated (as manifested by imac2 and iPad having Internet connection), have you gone back into settings on the aTV and reconnected the wireless signal?

bryanscott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Assuming your Internet sharing is activated (as manifested by imac2 and iPad having Internet connection), have you gone back into settings on the aTV and reconnected the wireless signal?

Yes. Not sure if I mentioned before, but I can access iTunes movies/tv, as well as purchased music/movies. It's just the stuff in my iTunes library (Home Sharing) that I can't access.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Yes. Not sure if I mentioned before, but I can access iTunes movies/tv, as well as purchased music/movies. It's just the stuff in my iTunes library (Home Sharing) that I can't access.

And ... You lost me.

You can access iTunes movies/tv just not "stuff"?

Home sharing allows me to access my iTunes content (movies tv music podcasts etc) as well as my pics via iPhoto. What precisely can't you access?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Yeah I'm kinda lost too...

iTunes needs to be open on the iMac for the ATV to see the shared library stored there. If you sit at your iMac, can you open your "stuff" with iTunes?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Unlike others in this thread, I actually get what you're saying ;)

There are two things that comes to mind:

Did you update iTunes to iTunes 11 when you upgraded OS X? If so, could you try rolling back to a previous version of iTunes and see if that fixes it?

Could there be some kind of firewall in play, that's blocking certain ports or whatnot? I mean, it's odd that you can see the library but not play the files...

bryanscott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Yeah I'm kinda lost too...

iTunes needs to be open on the iMac for the ATV to see the shared library stored there. If you sit at your iMac, can you open your "stuff" with iTunes?

Apple TV clearly differentiates between "Home Sharing" (that which is in your iTunes library, but not necessarily purchased from iTunes) and everything else, which includes music, movies and television that you have actually purchased from iTunes. The problem has been that the Home Sharing portion of Apple TV no longer connects.

At this point in time, this is all a moot point: I bit the bullet—despite being sick to death of buying into Apple's insidious attempts at global domination—and bought an Airport Express this morning. Everything is hunky dory now.

Thanks all for your help. Despite being fed up with Apple and their inferior products (iTunes 11? Are you ****ing serious?) I do appreciate your efforts.

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It had been a while since I had used Home Sharing to my ATV (a month maybe). I just tried doing it and I'll be darned if it didn't work! Since the last time it worked I have had both a router firmware update and an ATV OS update.

I went as far as to do a restore on my ATV to fix it, with NO LUCK. A quick search reveals that if I enable SSID broadcasting it will work. Now, I live within range of no less than 10 other wireless networks (crowded, I know), so SSID broadcasting isn't something I want to do, even with MAC filtering and WPA2 enabled. I enabled it anyway, got Home Sharing connected then turned off the broadcast and it still works!

Now to get my YouTube and Netflix accounts signed back in....

Machinehead119

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Nashville TN
Not really - this is a awesome setup, I use it everyday with zero problems..streams movies fast (well I guess it depends on your router and location).

May I suggest tho..hardwire is always better. If you have a router..run it to a switch (through the walls to make it nice) and then to apple tv Its much more reliable..its not necessarily the hardware but chances are your computer is in a different room than the tv you're trying to watch on

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Not reading the long post, BUT routers are not there to improve performance, they are there because u HAVE TO service multiple devices. UNLESS you need to optimize streaming with a "router" that is QOS capable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.