Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm getting really tired of all the topics related to how "poor" the iPad Mini's screen is. They have been popping up ever since it was released. I don't think it would have sold as many units if the majority of people thought the same way these elitists do. I mean, I have one and its perfect.

I go into the iPad forums for other discussions related to the iPad, and do not like having to wade through the same topic of Retina vs Non-Retina. What irks me the most is that people speak about it as if it was a device with 10 year-old technology when the iPad 3 was released JUST a year ago at this point.

We have enough of this junk with the Android vs iPhone users, and even then those threads are more unique than these which go on and on about sharpness and pixels.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Eh, it's like the gun debate in PRSI. I just tend to skip the iPad/iPhone sections unless I see a particularly interesting thread or I have a specific question.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Eh, it's like the gun debate in PRSI. I just tend to skip the iPad/iPhone sections unless I see a particularly interesting thread or I have a specific question.

I agree with this attitude. There will always be threads that some people find less interesting, or don't agree with. If you don't find it frustrating you can post an opposing argument in them (maybe you do already), but other than that it's easiest just to find threads that interest - not frustrate - you.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I mean, I have one [iPad mini] and its perfect.

It's not perfect. It's very, very good, but it's not perfect.

I too have one, as well as an iPad (third gen) and iPhone 5.

In comparison to the iPhone or (any retina) iPad, the mini's screen doesn't stand up. It just doesn't.

However most users will never use it in comparison to other devices, so it's not a problem most people will ever face and that's the important bit.

For the majority of users who use it in isolation it's an excellent screen on an excellent device. Other folk are willing to compromise over screen quality for the form factor. I can understand that too.

And some other folk would rather hold out for a retina enabled mini. That would have been me if I didn't require one as a testing platform.

Whenever a new device (or significantly new form factor of an existing device) is released there will always be compromises. It could be cost, size, battery life, feature set, weight or screen quality.

And that's ok. That's why there's choice.

And you know what? Chances are when a retina enabled iPad mini is released, there will still be the existing model at a discounted price - again giving consumers that choice.

In the case of the tech savy, general public, people will typically be polarised over this issue, along with iOS vs Android or Windows vs Mac or any of the other stuff. They want to believe what they've bought is the right thing, the technology that will last. They want to be seen as to having backed the winning horse, made the right choice.

In the case of tech bloggers and media - well, they'll put whatever link bait controversial headline they can think of to get people clicking. You shouldn't worry about them.

Enjoy whatever you own, and don't let others ruin it for you.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I am a big fan of the mini screen. There are no issues with it from my perspective.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
I'm getting really tired of all the topics related to how "poor" the iPad Mini's screen is. They have been popping up ever since it was released. I don't think it would have sold as many units if the majority of people thought the same way these elitists do. I mean, I have one and its perfect.

I go into the iPad forums for other discussions related to the iPad, and do not like having to wade through the same topic of Retina vs Non-Retina. What irks me the most is that people speak about it as if it was a device with 10 year-old technology when the iPad 3 was released JUST a year ago at this point.

We have enough of this junk with the Android vs iPhone users, and even then those threads are more unique than these which go on and on about sharpness and pixels.

So how exactly is this thread any different or better?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
And I'm tired about reading about people who complain about those who talk negatively about the iDevices. Welcome to the Internet, where everyone has an opinion.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
And I'm tired about reading about people who complain about those who talk negatively about the iDevices. Welcome to the Internet, where everyone has an opinion.

And i'm tired when you go on a Apple forum to discuss apple products with other users and you get people who don't use apple products constantly complaining and saying how their choice is so much better.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
I guess we've established that people are tired. ;)

Since this is Site and Forum Feedback, does anyone have any constructive ideas for change, or is it simply a matter of agreeing that not everyone is going to like every thread?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
LOL. I say we get rid of the naysayers. Really.

I saw this post the other day:

First Reviews of Samsung Galaxy S4: Great Screen, Gimmick Features, Bad Plastic Design
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1574602/

And it's just a blatant attack to stir up an aggressive debate. I don't think MR should give in that easily.

I don't go on Windows based forums to talk about how much their choice sucks. Now do I see people going on about how Macs suck over at those places? Sure. Here at MR, we talk about Macs, and there's very little discussion about PCs. From time to time PC hate gets discussed, but it's brief, and it's not as verbally distasteful as I've seen on some other places.

Most of us understand that Windows users use iPads and iPhones too. Some of us even run Windows on our Macs, and the Windows, Linux & others on the Mac section is done tastefully.

I wish that the alternative section was less debate, and just more chatter in general. How-tos, app discussion, similar to the main iPhone, iPod and iPad area setup. It would be more welcoming.

And we as a whole need to remember that MR is an Apple centric site. What use is it to have people that don't own/have no desire to own Apple products here? It would be like people hanging out around here just for the PRSI section.

There are differences between Android and iOS. We get that. We don't need to have 200 threads dedicated to talking about the differences. The alternative section should really be for us MACINTOSH users really.

As for the iPad Mini, I still think it needs to be toned down anyway. Like someone else said, we don't need to be told why someone's choice is better. It's a discussion that's dead by the end of the first post really, and that's my real issue here. Everyone's either going to agree or disagree, and the same points are going to be pointed out over and over again.

And while this is the internet and you have free speech, it goes as far as the admin of any site will let you go. There is a lot of negativity at MR, which includes and is not limited to:

- The iOS vs Android debate
- The iPad Mini resolution debates
- The size of the iPhone
- How iPods are generally looked at as complete redundant now
- People freaking out over the non-exsisting new Mac Pros (okay, seems to be less now, but still)

And it's the little things like people asking whether they buy a 32GB or 64GB iPad. It's only here where I see those kind of redundant questions.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
I guess I just don't really understand why there's any reason to get worked up over threads that aren't to one's liking. If things are really over the line, they can be reported (posting just to rile people up is a good example, but it's a good idea to think a minute whether or not you're only riled up because you don't agree).

On such a huge site, there are bound to be threads or sub-forums that are more or less of interest to any individual. And everyone's free to start a thread, as long as it's within the rules (which allow for a lot, truth be told).

I think it's perfectly legitimate to complain about these things - I don't mean to put that down at all. I'm just waiting for ideas for how to change the situation to come up. ;) It's possible to be proactive in a good way about these things. Make the discussions more diverse, add other viewpoints to existing discussions respectfully, without crapping on a thread's subject. It's not really the kind of thing the site volunteers or staff can or should try to direct (that's maybe not what was meant by this thread, either - I'm just thinking out loud). I think it's up to the membership to show what they want to talk about by example.

Ultimately, a site is the sum of its members. Rules can only ever be a framework, it's the whole of the content that counts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.