Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
My problem is basically that my iPhone 5 wont pair with any bluetooth devices at all. It won't even see other bluetooth devices and when it actually does, well, it ONLY sees my iMac, it wont pair at all.

Any tips? Anyone? :confused:

I've been to Apples support forums and there are about 100 pages of the same problem with the same iPhone and very few problems solved regardless of hard resets or wiping and reinstalling the phone.

Is it a dud 5 or is the 5 a dud in this regard? :(

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Further to this I thought I'd see if my iPhone 4 could use its bluetooth properly and it doesn't either! Both phones are on 6.1.3 and won't find anything, they just have an infinite searching loop with the iPhone 5 sometimes finding the iMac, but never actually pairing... :(

My iPad which is on 6.1.3 also finds every bluetooth device perfectly however! :confused:

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here and what to do so as to rectify this issue?

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
The Auris is the main thing we want connected, we borrowed a friends bluetooth 4.0 headset and also used our iMacs for testing the finding and pairing processes. The iPad has connected to everything instantly and the iPhone 5 has only occasionally even recognised my iMac, but never paired successfully.

I have a Klipsch iGroove SXT dock in the kitchen and at the moment I have to plug in a 3.5mm jack to play music through it. Problem is you have to remove the jack from the Klipsch dock or it remains powered up thinking somethings still active. It's a pain in the butt plugging in and out at the back of it all the time. I just want to use my Auris bluetooth receiver with my iPhone 5, the wife's iPhone 4 sits in the cradle no worries as it's got the 30 pin connector. I can use the iPad perfectly with it through bluetooth, but I don't really want that huge thing just to listen to some tracks.

Last edited:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
have you tried to restore the phone? unless theres a hardware issue, the problem could be software related. i would start there. the phone supports the BT profiles the auris uses. i dont see any other reason why it wont work. i paired my 5 with a bluetooth headset the other day, without any issues. didnt even require me to put in the 0000 BT code. it paired immediately without issue.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
have you tried to restore the phone? unless theres a hardware issue, the problem could be software related. i would start there. the phone supports the BT profiles the auris uses. i dont see any other reason why it wont work.

Over on the Apple support site they said to do a full reinstall, not from backup, it's the only thing I haven't done yet. I really didn't want to have to go that route if at all possible. Oh well, here I go. I'll be back with an update in a while... :(

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Out of the various smartphones I work with as a developer, the iPhone 5 seems to be the best with Bluetooth devices. Mine pairs with my Bluetooth headset and headphones perfectly. Zero problems. I also have paired with my MBA a few days ago. Same thing.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Over on the Apple support site they said to do a full reinstall, not from backup, it's the only thing I haven't done yet. I really didn't want to have to go that route if at all possible. Oh well, here I go. I'll be back with an update in a while... :(

people have had their wifi slider switch and auto brightness sliders not appear in ios. once they restored, they appeared. so a software reinstall should be the way to fix it. if not, i would say it could be hardware related. if you bring it to apple, they will ask/tell you to restore anyways as a starting point.

----------

OMG... 2 hours to download iOS 6.1.3 :eek:

through itunes? you could manually download it from another website then manually restore to it. the IPSW files are like 900MB, so it depends on how fast your internet connection is or how bogged down apples server is.

http://www.ipswdownloader.com/

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Okay, after much time and wasted bandwidth, no change what so ever for the iPhone 5. The wife won't let me touch her iPhone 4.

I suppose I get the happy bonus of being able to reorganise my app icons again... :(

The iPhone 5 now won't even recognise the iMac to attempt a pairing process. The iPad sees 2 iMacs, 3 Macbooks and the Auris bluetooth receiver for the dock in the kitchen.

We don't have an Apple store here yet, it's still being fitted out and is under wraps with the black plastic. Back to Vodafone to see if I can get a replacement that works with bluetooth I guess. :(

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Going from my iMac, I can pair with my iPhone 5 & 4, but it then says "Not Connected" so I click that and get the dreaded "Connection Unsuccessful, iMac is not supported".

The iMac pairs with the iPad perfectly, from the iMac and from the iPad.

Going from the iPhones, neither of them sees any bluetooth connections.

Over on Apples support forums there are over 500 comments about this in one thread alone! There are several threads there on this problem with 4's, 4S's and 5's.

I'll just have to check in-store at Vodafone that the replacement one actually pairs with bluetooth items.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Most Bluetooth devices will only pair with one device at a time. You've got to disable the bluetooth on your other devices first, then put the accessory in discovery and try again.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Most Bluetooth devices will only pair with one device at a time. You've got to disable the bluetooth on your other devices first, then put the accessory in discovery and try again.

Okay, thanks for that. We both use wireless mice with the iMacs, so they are already taken then. The iPad can't see either of the iPhones and the iPhones cant see the iPad, regardless of how many times bluetooth is switched off and on again on either the iPad or iPhones. I made sure the iPad is unpaired with everything this time. The iPad continues to see everything though (iMacs, Macbooks, the Auris receiver) and lists them all as unpaired.

I guess there may be a problem that requires a store visit.

Binkusama

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
After much research, I found that a stock iPhone is set up to be a host device only, so if you are trying to connect to a device for data transfer it won't allow the connection. While the iPad has more liberal Bluetooth protocols. The only way to free up the super strict iphone that I've found is to jailbreak it if you are comfortable with that sort of thing (I'm gonna wait for iOS 7 jailbreak). Also, iOS 6 can only pair with a Mac running lion or later OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.