Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oceanzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Madrid, España
Im on 10.5.8 on an early 2008 8-core Mac Pro

I just bought a 5th generation iPod, today, and now it won't work with my version of iTunes, and to upgrade to the latest iTunes I have to upgrade OSX

I have Final Cut pro and Logic Pro on this Mac and Im worried if I jump ahead to 10.8 (from 10.5) I'm worried the software and plugins wont work, then I'll have to pay for them too.

What do you think?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
You will have to check with the developers of the plugins to see if there are compatibility issues/updates for the new OS. In case it interests you, it is possible to run iTunes 11 on Snow Leopard.

oceanzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Madrid, España
Thanks for your reply

10.5 is just Leopard so I guess Im not in luck.

It seems like a giant pain in the ass just to get an ipod working, did not think they would make it so difficult on a Mac

----------

Version 8.0.2 of Logic
version 6.0.6 of Final Cut

uuugh

oceanzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Madrid, España
Great idea.

I was just looking up how much to upgrade Logic,
in the US = $199 but in Spain they advertise the whole of Logic Studio €499 that's like $659

When are Apple going to sort out their new pricing structure?

Aha luckily the UK are up to date £140 for Logic 9 ($225)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Logic 8 works fine on Mountain Lion.

However, you will need to check whether your machine will run ML. Older machines do not have the required hardware.

You need to buy Snow Leopard first, as you can only get Mountain Lion from the online App Store. And the App Store requires 10.6.6!
Snow Leopard may be enough to get your machine running more current versions of iTunes etc, without compromising your other software.

oceanzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Madrid, España
Thanks for all your help

I'm buying Snow leopard from the local online Apple Store, it'll be with me in 2 or 3 days and then hopefully iTunes will work without upsetting my main programmes.

:)

oceanzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Madrid, España
So Snow Leopard has arrived :)

I have 4 hard disks.
One just for OSX and software programmes.

My question is: Will installing 10.6 delete the programmes from the hard drive or leave them there?

Thanks and Happy New Year :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
So Snow Leopard has arrived :)

I have 4 hard disks.
One just for OSX and software programmes.

My question is: Will installing 10.6 delete the programmes from the hard drive or leave them there?

Thanks and Happy New Year :)

If you only perform an Upgrade Install and not a Clean Install, yes.

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

oceanzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Madrid, España
OK Thanks
I'm a bit nervous, the only option says Install. And the customize button only offers stuff like (do you want the printer drivers installed?)
Does the upgrade option come after clicking Install?

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes, as you can see from the guides for the Clean Install, a clean install is more "complicated" and needs your full interaction to delete your stuff.
Just press INSTALL, or click it, and wait half an hour.

Do you employ backups?

oceanzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Madrid, España
Thanks, I've gone ahead and it's installing. My work is backed up but the software isn't but I have the software in boxes if necessary.

Thanks again. Great community here :)

elizstuart

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2013
Oceanzen, how did it work out? I'm considering upgrading from 10.5.8 to 10.6 and am also concerned that my music software won't work anymore without upgrading. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.