Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

wwdc.png
Apple today announced on its developer news website that it will be "hitting the road" with individual Tech Talk sessions for developers this fall (via The Next Web). The news comes a day after tickets for the company's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) sold out in two minutes.
Enthusiasm for WWDC 2013 has been incredible, with tickets selling out in record time. For those who can't join us in San Francisco, you can still take advantage of great WWDC content, as we'll be posting videos of all our sessions during the conference. We'll also be hitting the road this fall with Tech Talks in a city near you. Hope to see you there.
With the quick sellout, even some developers who thought they were purchasing their tickets in time experienced difficulties with the checkout process, and Apple contacted some of those affected developers yesterday to offer them a second chance at purchasing tickets. For those who missed out on WWDC tickets but would still like to take advantage of some the excitement and opportunities surrounding the event, a free alternative to WWDC called AltWWDC has also been announced.

Still, demand for access to Apple engineers remains high, and the company has apparently seen fit to revive its Tech Talks tour in order to make contact with additional developers who are unable to attend WWDC.

Apple has not yet announced which cities the Tech Talks will take place in, but the company may share more details around WWDC, which takes place June 10-14 at the Moscone West convention center in San Francisco. Apple last held its Tech Talks tour to support the launch of iOS 5 in late 2011 and early 2012, taking its show to 9 cities around the world.

Article Link: Apple 'Hitting the Road' With New Tech Talks Tour for Developers This Fall

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Are we going to have some major new SDK features in iOS 7?

Apple's been keeping a lot of toys to themselves with iOS 5 and iOS 6... a few things that come to mind:

1 - The maps app runs on the lock screen
2 - The maps app has stylized notification banners
3 - The stocks app has a widget in the notification center, as does the weather app
4 - Various apps integrate with Siri (even third party apps like Open Table) - but no public SDK for that
5 - The UIWebView in Safari runs a better version of WebKit than the one in the SDK.

From iOS 2 - iOS 4 it seems like the public SDK was pretty similar to what they used internally, but somewhere around iOS 5 they started showing off new features that third party developers obviously can't compete with because Apple doesn't ever add the needed parts to the SDK. Maybe they'll correct it with the iOS 7 SDK.

Last edited:

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Excellent news for developers! Apple could really do this annually with the massive ecosystem that iOS has now.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Even though I've fallen in love with the android platform, I'm very excited to see what's coming for ios7. Even more excited about the next iteration of Mac OSX, since that's where I spend my time most.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I hope I can manage to get to one of these tech talks nearby. I tried to get WWDC tickets but failed (page error), so HOPEFULLY I can get into one of these.

Ps: WWDC sold out in 71 seconds.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Apple really need to hit a home run this year. Now of course they are still making huge profits, but if they stop innovating like they have for the last two years then things will start to not look so rosy.

The last time I really was wow'd by Apple was when the iPhone 4 came out. The look coupled with the retina display and it's graphical power and speed made it a must have device. Everything since has been more of an evolution rather than a revolution.

The iPad while great IS a big iPhone, the Retina Macbook was hardly a revolution and the rest of the hardware has had only minor changes with the onus on being thinner like the new iMac. They have let OSX and iOS especially stagnate, hopefully this year will be all about software.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
This is an area where Apple could really step up its game. Microsoft used to (still does?) do a great job of promoting its development platform. There are groups all across the US, lots of training opportunities, certifications, etc. And while some will bash me for this, I also think that the early versions of Visual Basic were a great thing: Let's make a development IDE that can be picked up and learned (at a basic level) very easily and allow for instant gratification (drop a few widgets on the screen, write a couple lines of code, and click "Play" to test it out). I'd like to see them make an IDE that could be easily learned by kids as well as put to useful purposes for businesses to make in-house iOS apps.

I'm a developer by trade, with a BS in Computer Science, and have worked with Visual Basic, .NET, some C#, some web stuff (e.g., PHP), and a lot of SQL, but have been working for the last several years mostly using SAP Data Services for data warehousing purposes. I've been wanting to jump into more fun stuff (iOS development), but haven't had the time to really dig into it, and am honestly a bit concerned about what seems to me to be a more complex environment with Objective C. Plus, I'd like to get my 14-year-old daughter into it, but I'm worried she'll be overwhelmed by the complexity and quickly lose interest. Especially for her sake, I think a more Visual Basic-style IDE for iOS would be great.

I am looking into RunRev's LiveCode to see if that could be a good option.

Last edited:

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Apple really need to hit a home run this year. Now of course they are still making huge profits, but if they stop innovating like they have for the last two years then things will start to not look so rosy.

The last time I really was wow'd by Apple was when the iPhone 4 came out. The look coupled with the retina display and it's graphical power and speed made it a must have device. Everything since has been more of an evolution rather than a revolution.

The iPad while great IS a big iPhone, the Retina Macbook was hardly a revolution and the rest of the hardware has had only minor changes with the onus on being thinner like the new iMac. They have let OSX and iOS especially stagnate, hopefully this year will be all about software.

That's so ignorant it's funny. The iPad is a big phone and there was nothing revolutionary about the MacBook Air...

So the new iMac, mountain lion, iOS 6 the complete redefinition of the table market, a growing market share and their biggest revenue in history and you think the company is in trouble?

We've had no new product announcement for five months and people are bored? They want the OS to be a different colour for the sake of it because evolution of hardware and software isn't 'sexy' enough.

Maybe apple should throw the desktop OS away and give us their version of windows 8, cause that's working out so well for Microsoft!

We don't need change for changes sake, I'm excited for what comes next but when a company is giving back 100 BILLION dollars to share holders cause they are making too much money, I don't think there's an issue....

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
That's so ignorant it's funny. The iPad is a big phone and there was nothing revolutionary about the MacBook Air...

So the new iMac, mountain lion, iOS 6 the complete redefinition of the table market, a growing market share and their biggest revenue in history and you think the company is in trouble?

We've had no new product announcement for five months and people are bored? They want the OS to be a different colour for the sake of it because evolution of hardware and software isn't 'sexy' enough.

Maybe apple should throw the desktop OS away and give us their version of windows 8, cause that's working out so well for Microsoft!

We don't need change for changes sake, I'm excited for what comes next but when a company is giving back 100 BILLION dollars to share holders cause they are making too much money, I don't think there's an issue....

It's true though, and I'm surprised you don't see it. In the late 90's, you were hitting hardware limitations, so every hardware update allowed new features. Airport (now simply called WiFi) was a huge improvement, as was USB. The PowerBook G4's were amazing machines. The Macbook Pro was great, and the unibody brought new structural improvements making it one of the most sturdy consumer computers.

That came out in 2008. Since then, they're removed Firewire, Ethernet, an Audio jack, a lock, and added an SD card (which they should have had since 2006) and Thunderbolt, which is too expensive to be useful.

In their tablet and phone lineup, the iPhone 5 looks like an elongated 4s, which is the same as the 4 in every way excluding siri. Meanwhile, their iPad looks just like the iPad 1, and with the exception of progressive updates (more, faster), is the same as the iPad 1.

Where's the post-PC era where I can use a tablet as my hub? That's right, Microsoft makes that. Where's the materials upgrades that make my computer not dent it when I look at it funny? Again, look to Sony for Carbon Fiber and Microsoft for Vapor Mag.

The only two areas that Apple really was able to make something out of - the ultra book market and the tablet market, they're quickly losing to comodity players. Meanwhile, Apple's losing market share and sales are slowing across the board.

If you want a true view of how backwards they've become, look at their Retina Macbook Pro (flagship) lineup. If you ignore the OS and glowing apple logo, and just look at specs, Apple only has $2300+ laptops for people who require power. Everything else is high markup low specs but in a shiny case.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

sorry, but you don't get how apple rolls. iterative design cycles that continually improve a product is exactly what they do. revolutions are not annual. apple 2, mac, imac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iPad...all years apart from one another. then, as the product matures, it is I proved upon.

----------

If you want a true view of how backwards they've become, look at their Retina Macbook Pro (flagship) lineup. If you ignore the OS and glowing apple logo, and just look at specs, Apple only has $2300+ laptops for people who require power. Everything else is high markup low specs but in a shiny case.

sorry but you're ignoring the air lineup, which are the finest ultra books on the market. for 999 you get the best there is.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I also think that the early versions of Visual Basic were a great thing: Let's make a development IDE that can be picked up and learned (at a basic level) very easily and allow for instant gratification (drop a few widgets on the screen, write a couple lines of code, and click "Play" to test it out). I'd like to see them make an IDE that could be easily learned by kids as well as put to useful purposes for businesses to make in-house iOS apps.

Plus, I'd like to get my 14-year-old daughter into it, but I'm worried she'll be overwhelmed by the complexity and quickly lose interest. Especially for her sake, I think a more Visual Basic-style IDE for iOS would be great.

Windows Phone development is still like that!

I agree that the XCode IDE is unnecessarily complex for beginners. A bunch of Nextstep geeks dreamed this up twenty years back and it has not changed much since. It is innovative alright ( how you hook up the GUI to your programs using outlets and ports ) but the learning curve is a bit high.

Compare this to JQuery based GUI programming for the web. It is incredible how intuitively easy and pleasant it is to put together a HTML 5 based GUI. One can learn JQuery in a couple of hours in one sitting. On second thoughts, may be that is what you should let your daughter loose on first. She will love it.

Last edited:

JarJarThomas

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
This is an area where Apple could really step up its game. Microsoft used to (still does?) do a great job of promoting its development platform. There are groups all across the US, lots of training opportunities, certifications, etc. And while some will bash me for this, I also think that the early versions of Visual Basic were a great thing: Let's make a development IDE that can be picked up and learned (at a basic level) very easily and allow for instant gratification (drop a few widgets on the screen, write a couple lines of code, and click "Play" to test it out). I'd like to see them make an IDE that could be easily learned by kids as well as put to useful purposes for businesses to make in-house iOS apps.

I'm a developer by trade, with a BS in Computer Science, and have worked with Visual Basic, .NET, some C#, some web stuff (e.g., PHP), and a lot of SQL, but have been working for the last several years mostly using SAP Data Services for data warehousing purposes. I've been wanting to jump into more fun stuff (iOS development), but haven't had the time to really dig into it, and am honestly a bit concerned about what seems to me to be a more complex environment with Objective C. Plus, I'd like to get my 14-year-old daughter into it, but I'm worried she'll be overwhelmed by the complexity and quickly lose interest. Especially for her sake, I think a more Visual Basic-style IDE for iOS would be great.

I am looking into RunRev's LiveCode to see if that could be a good option.

Hi for your daughter i also would say start with jquery and html.
The most important stuff to learn her is how to solve problems using code.
And here the fast start with javascript is unbeatable.

As next step probably use c++ with Qt/QtCreator.
It is platform independent and an ios port exists also.
Besides that ... it is an easier step from javascript to qt/c++ qt/qml

Using xcode is hard for beginners, its worth the effort because if you know how to use it, it can greatly improve dev times. But it takes a lot of effort learning it

Suspended
Oct 24, 2007
A city near me? Are they coming to Adelaide? That's my nearest city. Still a few hours drive away. Oh yea they only mean US people...

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Pro is not an ultrabook. It's a different class.

I know, that's my very point. First, thejadedmonkey wrote
If you ignore the OS and glowing apple logo, and just look at specs, Apple only has $2300+ laptops for people who require power.

whereupon mdelvecchio started writing about the MacBook Air which (like you wrote) is a totally different class.

JarJarThomas

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
I know, that's my very point. First, thejadedmonkey wrote

whereupon mdelvecchio started writing about the MacBook Air which (like you wrote) is a totally different class.

I can only say that we develope our fluid simulation software on macbook airs and pro retinas.
http://www.flowlines.info

It has more than enough power for most situations.
Sure if you need REAL power there is only one option, having a mac pro or some other xeon based multicore machine.
But for any other stuff the macbooks are more than enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.