Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Their greedy bundling of 11 mediocre songs with 1 hit was just a rip off.

It's interesting to look back on, the birth and death of Album Oriented Rock. It made sense when Led Zeppelin forbid singles in the European & American markets, to force people to give the entire album a chance and really get the feel for the wide breadth of what that band was trying to do musically. It certainly was a big part of their success.

But now that we've had a few decades of bands all doing increasingly derivative work, there's less and less of a point, because while there are plenty of good tunes scattered about, every band isn't developing some new & unfamiliar approach to music the listener has to sink into an entire album to grasp & fully enjoy, especially in the current era-rehash pop. Bands today are stuck releasing albums in Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd format, without being anything like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.

Smart production houses & self-publishers pare down & save operating costs, by cutting the filler, producing singles, and saving everyone a lot of time and money.

Last edited:

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
God forbid the artists want their albums treated as a cohesive product and not like a "best of" album with little to no reasoning behind song ordering and flow.
I would imagine the majority of artists are okay with the trade off considering they can actually get paid for their work.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Happy celebration iTunes! I love you!

----------

Or maybe he is an international user who doesn't have a decent iTunes store.

Or maybe he uses Amazon

Or maybe he's smart enough to know that in the past decade music became so disposable that nothing is worth buying anymore

Or maybe he was just trolling. gosh... forum internet users are such acid nowdays. Everyone like to piss off others, whine... cmon enjoy your life and your digital life too!

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
No songs, no movie rentals, no books, no paid apps? It appears that you don't own an iDevice.

Believe it or not, some of us still purchase our media through physical means due to the reduced DRM, lower price and the higher quality of the content.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
I would imagine the majority of artists are okay with the trade off considering they can actually get paid for their work.

And there are plenty of artists who value the completeness and unity of a full album. I just don't see how that makes them greedy, necessarily.

Last edited:

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
My favorite song is also the oldest song on my playlist... Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Believe it or not, some of us still purchase our media through physical means due to the reduced DRM, lower price and the higher quality of the content.

Going to go with this, five dollar rentals? Not going to happen when that is my used blu-ray price. Music is not bad for a song here or there, I also keep an eye out for dollar CD's, so there is a album of music for cheap. Higher quality and cheaper prices are hard to beat.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
So artists should change their visions and intentions just to appeal to fans?

Most artists want commercial success and recognition for their work by an audience they have built.
So some amount of "Selling out" is inevitable.
They can have pure artistic integrity and no audience and starve or they can compromise a little.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Most artists want commercial success and recognition for their work by an audience they have built.
So some amount of "Selling out" is inevitable.
They can have pure artistic integrity and no audience and starve or they can compromise a little.

That's a narrow and fairly narcissistic point of view regarding why a band will have success.

Believe it or not, not every band is hellbent on just maximizing profits. Some actually care about their work and don't just cater to the most people possible. That's why the truly great artists that value their music (The Beatles, Queen, REM, Nirvana...) will have far longer and more appreciated legacies than artists who value the top 20 charts (Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Nicki Manaj...).

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
No songs, no movie rentals, no books, no paid apps? It appears that you don't own an iDevice.

Oh I do (iPhone and Macbook); I get my music by other means, watch my movies via theater or Netflix, not big on electronic books and I only purchase (if I may say purchase) free apps.

----------

Or maybe he is an international user who doesn't have a decent iTunes store.

Or maybe he uses Amazon

Or maybe he's smart enough to know that in the past decade music became so disposable that nothing is worth buying anymore

Bingo! The latter is correct, sir.

Cjm1

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
But yet... Jim Reekes gets no credit for A. The macs startup chime, and B. the first person to coin the idea of iTunes :mad:

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I have hundreds of songs I've purchased on iTunes, however I just recently discovered Amazon's Auto Rip program. Now I am just getting into the vinyl scene. The deal is if you buy eligible vinyl or cds, they give you the digital version automatically.

Anywho, any recommendations on some good sound equipment a guy in his mid-twenties should start saving for?

I've been impressed with the gear by Emotiva. They sell direct on emotiva.com.

For turntables, I'm using a Rega RP3. Quite satisfied with it.

----------

Spot on post Odedia! I couldnt agree more! As im sat here listening to Small Faces on my Rega RP3 turntable, Rega Pre Amp, Yamaha 1020 Amp and Mordaunt Short 902's. There isnt a sound like it. Music has become anti social in the tech revolution and at the gym, in your car and walking about its nice to have portability but you simply cannot beat the enjoyment of that sweet ear filling sound of analog. People really dont know what they're missing being so involved in the iTunes generation. I have a healthy library in iTunes but it no way compares to the enjoyment of that turntable! Its good to see the likes of vinyl returning in a big way. it'll never be what it was but at least it will live on as the only way to truly appreciate a bands efforts, other than hearing them live of course.

Hey, I have a Rega RP3 as well! Great table, isn't it? :D

What cartridge/needle are you using it with? I'm currently with the stock Elys 2 but thinking of upgrading to something more serious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.