Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a new report forecasting that the product highlight of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), which kicks off on June 10, will be the introduction of new models of the company's MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lines based on Intel's latest Haswell processors. The projection is in line with previous reports from Kuo and other sources, as well as recent claims that Apple will begin ramping up production of the new models in mid-May.

macbook_pro_and_retina.jpg

On the MacBook Pro side, Kuo is reversing his earlier predictions suggesting that 2013 would see Apple discontinue the non-Retina MacBook Pro lineup and shift consumers to the slimmer and more expensive Retina line introduced at last year's WWDC. Kuo believes that continued strength of non-Retina MacBook Pro models, particularly the 13-inch line, have led Apple to continue producing the non-Retina lineup for the time being.
Contrary to our previous projection, we now think Apple will continue to make the MacBook Pro alongside the MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro because the 13" MacBook Pro remains the most popular product in the MacBook line. Also, there is still demand in emerging markets, where Internet penetration isn't advanced, for optical disk drives.
Kuo believes that the updated versions of the non-Retina MacBook Pro could begin shipping very soon after WWDC, but that the new Retina MacBook Pro models will begin shipping somewhat later due to production bottlenecks on the displays.

For the MacBook Air, Kuo also believes that the new models will be introduced at WWDC and ship very soon after, but he indicates that Apple is unlikely to include Retina displays in the updated lineup. He believes that cost, thickness, and production concerns will continue to keep Retina displays out of Apple's lowest-cost and thinnest notebook line for the time being.

Article Link: Notebook Refresh to Be Highlight of WWDC, Non-Retina MacBook Pro to Continue?

Last edited:

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Disappointing. Very disappointing. No rMBA. Delayed Haswell rMBP. And the cMBP will continue in production. I hope Kuo is wrong this time.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
If apple doesn't announce iOS 7
I will move to android and lose all hope in apple
They have billions and they have no excuses to delay anything. If they disapoint
It's doom for apple

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Disappointing. Very disappointing. No rMBA. Delayed Haswell rMBP. And the cMBP will continue in production. I hope Kuo is wrong this time.

Does that hurt you, NO, plenty of people still want an optical drive and plenty of people still use wired network.

I think it is actually excellent news.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Does that hurt you, NO, plenty of people still want an optical drive and plenty of people still use wired network.

I think it is actually excellent news.
This sorta makes me feel better about not having the retina, I might pick up a 2012 15" rMBP if Apple update the rMBPs in June.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
There, stopped reading right at "analyst". Until there is substantial evidence, I have learnt to turn a deaf ear to analysts' predictions.
Kuo is one analyst you should listen to. He isn't always right, but he's pretty darn good.

Among his correct predictions: 1) That the Retina MacBook Pro would appear alongside non-Retina models instead of as a replacement, 2) Discontinuation of the 17" MacBook Pro, 3) October launch for 13" Retina MacBook Pro, 4) The minor internal tweak to the Apple TV earlier this year.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Kuo is one analyst you should listen to. He isn't always right, but he's pretty darn good.

Among his correct predictions: 1) That the Retina MacBook Pro would appear alongside non-Retina models instead of as a replacement, 2) Discontinuation of the 17" MacBook Pro, 3) October launch for 13" Retina MacBook Pro, 4) The minor internal tweak to the Apple TV earlier this year.
What's the latest and greatest MBP? The current 2012 cMBP or the early 2013 rMBP? Or both?

The 2012 15" rMBP is going to be pretty cheap if Apple update the 15" rMBP in June.

jreed91

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2009
Pretty much what I expect, notebook refresh alongside 10.9 release. That's usually what they do. Not surprised they're keeping the non-retinas around. The prices are still a bit to high.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Unless I have missed something, no one outside of Apple knows what will be announced at WWDC.

All the wailing, gnashing of teeth, and rending of clothing over what will, or will not be announce at the conference is all based on speculation.

Much wasted emotional energy, perhaps...:p

;)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I think he's wrong about WWDC. The software would have revealed the retina models so talking about them made sense but there's not likely to be any new product line in the same boat this year.

So I I think any bumps will just get a press release and possibly before WWDC to hit the early part of the US BTS promo

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
If apple doesn't announce iOS 7
I will move to android and lose all hope in apple
They have billions and they have no excuses to delay anything. If they disapoint
It's doom for apple

Cook is quoted saying iOS 7 and OSX 10.9 will be previewed at WWDC. Relax.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
seems pretty obvious.

praying that the rMBP isnt getting a redesign already as my old mbp still looks like the current one and im pretty happy about that :D

yes im shallow i care more about the atheistic than the hardware and id hate having a obsolete rMBP design after only 4 months ^^

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
There, stopped reading right at "analyst". Until there is substantial evidence, I have learnt to turn a deaf ear to analysts' predictions.

Not sure of you point because I stopped reading after you said "stopped reading". I'd be an idiot to listen to someone that didn't even read the article.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.