Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Just wondering how many hours everyone works per week (to make a living/employment). Also, if you get paid time off (PTO being paid sick/personal/vacation days) if you are not self-employed.

I currently run my own small firm (3+ years) in the green industry and received an offer from a company I sometimes act as a sub contractor for. The salary offered is reasonable and there is a fringe benefits package (a bit underwhelming - 33.3% contribution to family health). Unfortunately, the company only gives 2 weeks of PTO (other companies I've been with usually give 2 weeks of vacation to start PLUS personal/sick days). From what I understand they typically give the week of Christmas off (technically not in the offer).

It looks like they want me to work 55 hours/week on average. It can be a physically and mentally taxing field. They rarely work weekends, however. In the instance you do work an 80 week in busy seasons it would be 5 16s.

Other than the fact that I think most people are overworked (IMO) it doesn't seem too bad.

I've just got my fist kid on the way in the early fall :) and will be leaving the flexibility of running my own thing (profitable for the first time in my third year) for the stability of a full time year round position (if i take it).

Do people working FT+ feel like they still get to be with their kids?

So....

How many hours do you work a week? Do you get a good amount of PTO?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Average 40 hours per week, exactly. I keep track. When I build up extra time, I leave early and "use" it. We get 16 days of PTO.

You should get the Christmas break in writing if you sign on with them. With a family, I would never take a job that is as demanding as you describe, but that's me.

I think anyone who says they get enough time with their kids while working 50 hours a week or more is fooling him/herself. Some say, "Just make sure it's quality time." But the employer demands quantity. That doesn't add up.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I do about 28 patient hours a week, and then the requisite paperwork associated therewith, and meetings, which I find ways to avoid whenever I can.:p

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Average 40 hours per week, exactly. I keep track. When I build up extra time, I leave early and "use" it. We get 16 days of PTO.

You should get the Christmas break in writing if you sign on with them. With a family, I would never take a job that is as demanding as you describe, but that's me.

I think anyone who says they get enough time with their kids while working 50 hours a week or more is fooling him/herself. Some say, "Just make sure it's quality time." But the employer demands quantity. That doesn't add up.

They told me 45 to 50 on average (in email - not offer letter), but subbing for them I honestly see their management working more like 55 (and sometimes far more). I've already negotiated quite a bit so I don't think I can ask for comp time at this point. I either need to take it as is or let it go.

It's an employee-at-will position at least.

40 hours/week is great! My brother in law is a teacher and does that buy I have so many friends in this area who simply cannot find jobs that only require 40.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I have a 9 to 5 salaried job, no OT. I generally arrive 5 minutes late, and leave after 6 to avoid the peak travel times. So I'm at work at least 45 hours, but I enjoy it thus far, so, I'm not really complaining.

4 weeks annual leave. Sick and personal are extra.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I do about 28 patient hours a week, and then the requisite paperwork associated therewith, and meetings, which I find ways to avoid whenever I can.:p

Are you in your own, or a small, practice if you don't mind my inquiring?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
40 hours, but OT if needed. Company starts people at 3 weeks of PTO but starting in June I accrue 5 weeks of PTO, we also get 5 floating holidays so our holidays can line up with the company we work for. I work in IT support as a contractor to a Fortune 50 company. We also get the normal holidays off (Christmas, New Year's, Thanksgiving), the floating holidays allow us to account for other days the facility is closed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I average about between 45 hours a week on slow weeks to about 60 for busy weeks. I can work almost 80 hours during major upgrades, but thankfully that only occurs once every 3 or 4 years.

btw, I'm salaried so all the extra work does not inflate my paycheck :(

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Are you in your own, or a small, practice if you don't mind my inquiring?

Not at all. Currently, and for about the past 10 years, I am working with a moderately large group practice (about 40 clinicians). Some do office practice, but I am in the field working with patients in Nursing Homes.

I had a Private Practice office in the 80's and part of the 90's, but when managed care started in the late 80's, I didn't sign on to the various provider panels because of the incredibly intrusive requirements to get authorization for payments. I hoped they would just go away, totally misreading the handwriting on the wall. After refusing patients who had managed care coverage, my referral sources dried up, and that was that.

At my advanced age :p, not having to hustle referrals with my work in the Nursing Homes is OK. The money is awful...but what the hell, it keeps my off the streets and out of trouble!;)

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
40 hours, but OT if needed. Company starts people at 3 weeks of PTO but starting in June I accrue 5 weeks of PTO, we also get 5 floating holidays so our holidays can line up with the company we work for. I work in IT support as a contractor to a Fortune 50 company. We also get the normal holidays off (Christmas, New Year's, Thanksgiving), the floating holidays allow us to account for other days the facility is closed.

I worked for a firm with similar hours and PTO for my first year out of college. I think that's great. Especially the floating holidays. I didn't know how great a deal it was until I had a couple of other experiences under my belt. Oh well, such is life.

I average about between 45 hours a week on slow weeks to about 60 for busy weeks. I can work almost 80 hours during major upgrades, but thankfully that only occurs once every 3 or 4 years.

btw, I'm salaried so all the extra work does not inflate my paycheck :(

I tried to take this into account when I negotiated the salary. I miss an hourly gig with OT!

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I work anywhere from 42-50 hours a week. Pretty much never a flat 40.

8 - 5 Monday through Friday. Even if I don't stay late, I rarely get to take an hour lunch, so I always get something over 40.

My current position is not salaried, which is actually a plus, as I've earned about 20% over my base in Q1 2013 due to OT.

We have great health benefits, but they're a bit pricey. I haven't used my dental yet, but I've heard mixed things.

5 days PTO to start. 3 sick days. A teeny 4 paid holidays off that I can think of (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day). The cheap bastards were so kind as to offer the day before Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve as a paid holiday. Thanks, boss!

Then again, I work in staffing (non recruiter role - those poor bastards work 12+ hour days, salaried no OT, frequent weekends - not worth their bonuses in my opinion), so it's no surprise we have no days off and are cheap. I've been looking for something else, but it's a fine job for now.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Unfortunately, the company only gives 2 weeks of PTO (other companies I've been with usually give 2 weeks of vacation to start PLUS personal/sick days). From what I understand they typically give the week of Christmas off (technically not in the offer).

How many hours do you work a week? Do you get a good amount of PTO?

I heard that paid annual leave in the US can be a raw deal. Here in the UK I work 37.5 hours per week. My employer gives give me 33 days' paid leave per year (including public holidays). It's fairly typical.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
The amount of time I'm physically at my work location can vary greatly from 30hrs to 60hrs a week (averaging >40 though) depending on the current state of projects, deadlines, etc. Although I'll note that work rarely stays "at work."

I technically have PTO, but I honestly don't know how much. I "take off" the time I need and as long as things get done there aren't any problems.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
None:p
I don't work at all. Everyday is a holiday, after 36 years I decided to take early retirement, and have been enjoying life ever since.:D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For the first time in decades, 40 hours. They get no more and no less out of me. For any other job and before recent changes in my company, I would average 55-60.

I wouldn't leave a profitable business if you have flexibility in the first year of your child's life.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I heard that paid annual leave in the US can be a raw deal. Here in the UK I work 37.5 hours per week. My employer gives give me 33 days' paid leave per year (including public holidays). It's fairly typical.

Is it

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I wouldn't leave a profitable business if you have flexibility in the first year of your child's life.

I know. I'm really struggling with this. I keep reminding myself of how much time it takes for me to make the business profitable, however. It would offer my wife way more flexibility as well as I could be the breadwinner (at least at this point in our lives). Having said that (Larry David), there's no doubt running my own small firm offers the most flexibility.

Ah, life.... always trade offs. Good to hear a bit of everyone else's work situations (and some advice too). I appreciate it.

Cheers to those retired and enjoying it!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I know. I'm really struggling with this. I keep reminding myself of how much time it takes for me to make the business profitable, however. It would offer my wife way more flexibility as well as I could be the breadwinner (at least at this point in our lives). Having said that (Larry David), there's no doubt running my own small firm offers the most flexibility.

Ah, life.... always trade offs. Good to hear a bit of everyone else's work situations (and some advice too). I appreciate it.

Cheers to those retired and enjoying it!

You gotta do what you think is right and best. I'm far from someone who can give sage advice on good decisions.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
As a teacher I work about 44 hours a week (about 8am to 4:30/5pm), I am salaried to work from 8:55am to 3:35pm.

I get approximately 13 weeks of paid holidays.

What happens when I'm sick:
During the first year of service - full pay for 25 working days and after completing four calendar months’ service, half pay for 50 working days

During the second year of service - full pay for 50 working days and then half pay for 50 working days
During the third year of service - full pay for 75 working days and half pay for 75 working days

During fourth and subsequent years - full pay for 100 working days and half pay for 100 working days.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I'm present at work for a little over 40 but that includes lunches and what not. I also get two weeks vacation, one week of sick days, one week of emergency days, six federal holidays and six flex holidays. Not too shabby all things considered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.