Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oventurini

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
Haha, i have to disagree there. On my iPod touch 2nd gen and on laptop itunes, yes its loud and great to listen to! However on the iPhone 5 when i sync up all the same songs they are around 10-20% quieter and is noticeable quieter than any other apple device i have used.. IMO the max volume on the iPhone 5 is not high enough for me :)

----------

Okay thanks i'm attempting a restore right now :)

I have the exact same problem. output on my Macbook Pro and previous Iphone 4 or on my Ipad more than sufficient with my headphone. But way too low with the new Iphone 5. It is a question of headphones impedance but as I said, they work perfectly fine with other devices.

pm2012

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
You are correct

Hi, i'm a new poster to these forums.
Since using my iPhone 5 for about 2 days now i have noticed the music volume in music player is significantly quieter through my beats by dr.dre headphones than on my iPod touch 2nd gen...

I'm wondering if this is hardware or software issue as I've heard others in Europe are having the same problem. I'm currently on iOS 6.0.1 which is an update from the original iOS 6 which is scary for me as i would have thought if it was a software issue it would have been resolved in this update. However i am no expert in this field.

If anyone else has this problem feel free to post and let me know what you think it is, maybe a new sound chip or something? Anyway if this cannot be fixed in the next iOS update i will be extremely unhappy with this as i listen to music on my iPod everyday and i was hoping to be able to convert to iPhone 5 with no troubles and even thought of enhanced audio out and louder/better quality audio but nope. Anyway that's all :)

You are far from alone and the issue is annoying. I have a pair of Bose AE2i headphones which worked absolutely fine with my old iPhone 4 but are too quiet with my iPhone 5. It turns out that the 4 and the 4S have the same audio chip and the 5 has the restricted output to save us from wrecking our eardrums.
Unfortunately some manufacturers have less efficient headphones e.g. Bose and Beats and listening on their equipment on an iPhone 5 has become disappointing and unrewarding. I have spoken to Bose and they say they is nothing they can do. I have submitted a complaint/enquiry to Apple but one month has passed and no reply. Presumably this means, they will do nothing.

I have subsequently connected the iPhone 5 to other headphones and some have been very loud. So the variable here is the efficiency of the headphones which makes Apple's attempt at reducing the output somewhat pointless. What they ought to do is ensure that headphone manufacturers label their headphones to include a measure of their efficiency (eg decibels per mV or ratings like high, medium low). I would now say that the iPhone 5's output is low and needs either medium or high efficiency headphones.

Irrespective of how well viewed beats and bose headphones are viewed by audiophiles, this is a case of a major phone maker being out of synch with companies who supposedly making compatible products. (The AE2i has the Apple approved inline mic switch). I have considered getting an amp for the headphones but I can't find one that would work with the mic switch.

throwaway5

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
Jailbreak your iPhone and get the free EUUnlimited tweak on cydia, removes the volume limit enforced by the EU.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Hi, i'm a new poster to these forums.
Since using my iPhone 5 for about 2 days now i have noticed the music volume in music player is significantly quieter through my beats by dr.dre headphones than on my iPod touch 2nd gen...

I'm wondering if this is hardware or software issue as I've heard others in Europe are having the same problem. I'm currently on iOS 6.0.1 which is an update from the original iOS 6 which is scary for me as i would have thought if it was a software issue it would have been resolved in this update. However i am no expert in this field.

If anyone else has this problem feel free to post and let me know what you think it is, maybe a new sound chip or something? Anyway if this cannot be fixed in the next iOS update i will be extremely unhappy with this as i listen to music on my iPod everyday and i was hoping to be able to convert to iPhone 5 with no troubles and even thought of enhanced audio out and louder/better quality audio but nope. Anyway that's all :)

If you truly love your music you wouldn't have an iPod. Seriously try a Samsung or Creative MP3 player the quality of the sound is totally different. I've always found iPhones / iPods have very poor quality due to hardware. Sad I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.