Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amriteshvara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2013
CA
I used Canon Rebel T4i for photo shut and it gave me CR2 files. I need pictures in RAW quality. Now I have a problem to read those files.
My operating system is Mac OS X Snow Leopard version 10.6.8.
Photoshop version CS4.
I installed Camera RAW 5.4 and Adobe DNG Converter. Now looks like I can convert CR2 to dng and see it in iPhoto, but my Photoshop still can't recognize CR2 and dng files.
None of my other software can read those files.
What you can suggest guys?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I used Canon Rebel T4i ...
What you can suggest guys?

The easy answer is ... update your software.

I'm not sure how new that Canon camera is because I use something else. I'm not a RAW convertor ninja, but I do know that OS X handles RAW conversion for Apple applications. Current OS is 10.8, and you are at 10.6 it seems so the T4i may not be supported by 10.6. You can get a list of supported cameras on the Apple website though to see if it should be.

Same thing for Adobe's RAW converter. Since you are at CS4 it's possible the RAW convertor doesn't about the T4i if it's very new. I believe that if you buy Lightroom 4 it will come with (or install) Adobe's RAW engine. It is a free 30 day trial so there is no harm in trying and will save you the cost of upgrading to CS6. I'm pretty sure Lightroom and CS use the same RAW engine.

Something to keep in mind is that many Canon cameras save to a file with the CR2... but I don't believe that means that the file format is the same. For example... a 4 year old Canon and brand new Canon will save to different file formats... but each one will be a .CR2. Old software will be able to open the old Canon digital file, but maybe not the new Canon.

Good Luck.

amriteshvara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2013
CA
The easy answer is ... update your software.

Its not that simple like press the button Software Update.
For example, Canon released Raw Compatibility Update v3.14. But it will work only with iPhoto 9 or Aperture 3 for my system build. I need to buy Aperture or use iPhoto. I have iPhoto 9 version 8.1.2 but Raw Compatibility Update v3.14 patch gives me message that I should have iPhoto 9 :( I don't know how do deal with that ****.

To install a new Aperture I have to upgrade my OS from 10.6 to Mountain Lion which is full of ****.

Apple keeps pushing users to update software but newer versions often much worth than older. Second day I trying to resolve a simple task to download and edit my pictures.... **** apple!
Canon is doing a great job too, if as u told me before CR2 older versions are not the same as CR2 of new cameras, but they called still CR2. And user should guess looking on the file CR2 which one he has!!! ****!

Cory5412

macrumors member
May 14, 2004
Arizona
It's worth noting that almost universally across camera manufacturers, (like there is only one or two that don't do this), the RAW formats change with nearly every single model.

You could see if this DNG converter will accept the CR2 files produced by the T4i and convert them into DNG files that Creative Suite 4 will open.

For what it's worth, I'd also suggest that Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8 haven't removed any functionality that was there in 10.6, at least on the client side, and that this default narrative prevents a lot of people from upgrading to cheap software that'll accommodate their needs newer. It makes no sense to me why someone who is using an almost new camera would refuse to use the software that this camera pretty much requires.

If all else fails, you can open your CR2 files in iPhoto, which you've already indicated you can do, and export those files as TIFFs. Using a newer operating system would let you use newer application software which would drastically reduce the complexity of your workflow, however. If that's simply not an option, find an older camera that the Camera RAW version in Adobe Creative Suite 4 will accommodate. I happen to have a Nikon D300 on hand whose particular NEF files work well with CS4.

Good luck!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Its not that simple like press the button Software Update....

I know... that's why there was a more detailed explanation as well.

However, it is not entirely Apple's fault in this case. If the the T4i is a brand new camera with a new version of CR2 files, then I'm afraid I agree with Apple in this case. There is a cost to writing the convertors, and more importantly, testing them agains the OS, and the various applications. It's not just iPhoto and Aperture either. So - if Canon is creating a new RAW format, is it fair to ask Apple to rewrite and support it in software that it no longer sells? And hasn't sold in a number of years? There is a an element of responsibility on the consumer (you in this case) to ensure that peripherals you buy are in fact compatible with the computer.

All of this is assuming that the T4i is in fact new... I don't actually know that. But you appear you may be having another issue on top of that. Which is unfortunate. Perhaps someone else with more experience can help. Sorry.

Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.