Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
Well finally decided it was time for a new iMac. I have a 5 year old 24inch and ordered a 27inch from Amazon.

My question is the feasibility of the migration assistant. How well does it work? And I guess the fastest way to accomplish the migration. My old iMac does not have the Thunderport or whatever it's called.

Thanks
David

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
There are multiple ways to connect the systems. Also, if you have a current Time Machine backup, Migration Assistant should be able to copy from that as well.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Well finally decided it was time for a new iMac. I have a 5 year old 24inch and ordered a 27inch from Amazon.

My question is the feasibility of the migration assistant. How well does it work? And I guess the fastest way to accomplish the migration. My old iMac does not have the Thunderport or whatever it's called.

Thanks
David

Both machines have GB ethernet, so I think that would be fastest. Just connect an ethernet cable directly between the two and run MA. It works quite well.

Make sure you run MA as part of the setup process and not after you have created the account as that causes duplicate folders and all sorts of problems. You old account will be created on the new machine as part of MA.

As Bear mentioned, if you have a Time Machine backup on an USB external, that can be used as the MA source also.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Macs as I recall do not need those corssover cables. Nor do most systems these days.

Exactly. The ethernet port will sense it is a direct connection and handle it for you. No crossover cable needed.

I still have an orange crossover cable sitting in a drawer I just can't bring myself to throw away though. :)

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Another vote here for Ethernet. I just used MA via Ethernet to migrate from my old Mac mini to my new iMac without a hitch. It took around 30 minutes to transfer all of my data, applications, and settings. Good luck, and enjoy your new iMac :D

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
Another vote here for Ethernet. I just used MA via Ethernet to migrate from my old Mac mini to my new iMac without a hitch. It took around 30 minutes to transfer all of my data, applications, and settings. Good luck, and enjoy your new iMac :D

Thanks.

I got a little confused reading the apple support page. So let me try and clarify since you just did it.

I simply run the ethernet cable between BOTH iMacs.

This line on the support page confused me: "o use Ethernet for migration, connect the two computers with a single Ethernet cable; you don't need to connect the computers to a hub, switch, or router. This may be faster than using a wireless connection. For the best experience, be sure to attach your source and target Macs to the wired network before you start."

If the two macs are attached via an ethernet cable, how can they then be plugged in to a wired connection?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Good and thanks. Glad it wasn't just me that was confused by it. I promise I haven't started drinking yet today. ;)

Haha, it's all good. As stated, just connect the two machines via ethernet directly; you can also do it over a regular wired network, which is how I did it, but either way works fine :)

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I think FedEx has it out for us. If I order say razor blade refills... BAM! 10:30 AM FedEx delivery. New Mac I desperately want.... 7:30 PM... every single time!! :mad:

Sometimes I swear FedEx and UPS rush delivery of unimportant items, but when it's something you want now it comes at the very end of the day or they "forget" to drop it off and it comes the next day.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yup, thanks.

But gotta say, and granted its only the i5, it doesn't seen as fast as I thought it would moving from a 5 year old Mac.

Last couple upgrades for me felt sort of like "incremental" upgrades also. The really big and noticeable change in perceived speed came with the SSD for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.