Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dylatron2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Durham, NC
Hey guys, I'm studying abroad in the UK (I'm from America) and my iPhone 5 decided to royally just...start sucking.

Before anyone asks, it is a Verizon iPhone 5 (A1429) and it is jailbroken on 6.1.2 (only for Auxo and BiteSMS, amazing).

Lately it has just been really slow for no reason, so I uninstalled everything and went to a vanilla 6.1.2 and it still has been acting weird, and on top of all that, it has seemed to have gotten dirt lodged between the screen and the bezel, which is blowing my mind because I don't know how that gap even opened up to let dirt and debris in.

It wouldn't be that bad but yesterday I noticed that there was a lot more debris and stuff in there than normal and coincidentally my phone has been slowing down a lot today as well. So I went into the apple store near me in London and have a Genius Bar appointment set up for tuesday afternoon.

If I go there, what do you think they will say? If they choose to replace it (since the phone is only six months old and shouldn't be opening apart at the frame), would they give me another A1429 model since that's what I have in America or A1428 because I know that is more popular in other countries.

Thanks in advance

I included a picture of the top (where it's bad) and the bottom (what I feel like it should look like) for comparison. They're taken with my iPad so bear with me for the bad quality.

Attachments

• Photo Apr 27, 2 02 03 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 27, 2 02 03 AM.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 315
  • Photo Apr 27, 2 02 50 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 27, 2 02 50 AM.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 249

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i think the iphone warranty is tied to which country you purchased your phone. no doubt it's still covered; you just need to bring it to an apple store in the united states. i don't think they'll be able to help you there.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
i think the iphone warranty is tied to which country you purchased your phone. no doubt it's still covered; you just need to bring it to an apple store in the united states. i don't think they'll be able to help you there.

This is accurate information. You can certainly try and see what they say. It would certainly be a pita to mail your phone out to the US. In fact, I am not even sure they would mail it back to a UK address.

Sunn8760

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
Canada
I'm backpacking in Asia and had asked this question at an Apple store in Canada before leaving on my trip. The employee said that Apple would ship a North American compatible iPhone to the Apple store in Asia where I would make my claim... Maybe the same logic would apply in your case.

Does this help?

Dylatron2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Durham, NC
I'm backpacking in Asia and had asked this question at an Apple store in Canada before leaving on my trip. The employee said that Apple would ship a North American compatible iPhone to the Apple store in Asia where I would make my claim... Maybe the same logic would apply in your case.

Does this help?

Well that is certainly interesting, I wonder what they will do in this case. I was looking online and the A1429 model that I have (Verizon LTE i5) is the same model that is sold in the UK for their carriers but I don't know if it would work exactly the same....

I guess I will just wait and see what the deal is! :D

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Loads of threads about this topic. However here is what I wrote on another thread may help answer your question regarding warranty replacement:

Here is the answer to your question regarding warranty. This is taken going on to apple's website:

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE AND iPAD SERVICE.
Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the Apple Product.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english-uk.html

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1570878/

Dylatron2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Durham, NC
Hey just wanted to reply and give a status update:

got my genius bar appt bumped up to today and here is what went down,

They saw my screen was messed up and said "oh yeah no worries that warrants a replacement, we'll just swap them out really quick, lemme get that for you" I was super excited, until the girl at the genius bar told me she couldn't find my phone's model number in the system, when I told her that it was bought unlocked in the US she gave me a sad look.

She told me that I couldn't get a replacement in the UK because the iPhone 5's sold in the UK wouldn't work properly back in the US, so I would have a working phone here, only to have a faulty phone back home.

She did tell me however that there is a thing called Apple Express Lane, and gave me their website/phone number to call. So I set up an appointment for them to call me tomorrow morning and the genius told me that she has heard stories in the past of the AEL sending iPhones from overseas to customers in need so hopefully the phone call goes well!

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
I'd have thought they should be able to order one in for you, with no worries at all.

We've had visitors from other lands pop into the place where I work, and it's taken a day to get the replacement iPhone or part ordered in, and they've had no problems when they have returned home.

Hopefully AEL will be able to help you.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It depends on region - since different models etc are regulated in different regions.

As said, in the UK you can only get a replacement for B/A or DN/A models, the US one, LL/A can be swapped in the states, canada, and in certain other countries in Europe I believe.

It's not a quick process, but you'll need to ship the phone back to AppleCare in the states. You can call them and they'll organise it - but do yourself a favour and opt for the advanced replacement, otherwise it may take a while.

sym300

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Crap

i bought my i5 in canada model A1428 and the sleep button doesnt work anymore here in italy the gave me crap and would not change 1000$ down the drain i even have apple care+.
however if you buy a phone in europe the warranty is 2 years long and europewide. europe alwasys the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.