Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac shares some details on Apple's upcoming OS X 10.9 operating system, noting that the update will focus in large part on "power-user" features while also incorporating a few more concepts from the company's iOS operating system. Among the enhancements said to be included in OS X 10.9, codenamed "Cabernet":

- New tabbed browsing and tags in Finder
- Redesigned backend for Safari to bring "improved page loading, speed, and efficiency"
- Ability to keep a dedicated Space or full-screen app open on a single monitor within a multiple monitor setup

finder_safari_fullscreen_icons.jpg
On the user interface side, the report suggests that there will be some changes, but that they "will not be drastic ones". As part of a management shakeup late last year, Apple's hardware design chief Jonathan Ive also took on responsibility for the Human Interface group on the software side, and it seems to be unclear how widely any changes resulting from his vision will show up in OS X 10.9.

Today's report also indicates that Apple has been working on new ideas for multitasking that could be included in OS X 10.9, drawing some inspiration from iOS.
According to one source, Apple has been testing a new multi-tasking system for OS X that is similar to the quick-app-switcher function on iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches. The multitasking feature will be functional for applications in the background, according to this person. Additionally, Apple could use app-pausing technologies from iOS to pause background application processes in OS X. This is significant as full performance could be given to foreground apps, which could help optimize battery life on Apple's notebook computers.
Finally, the report draws into question previous claims of Siri integration in OS X 10.9, suggesting that changes to Apple's management structure have led to a complete reexamination of feature plans, and thus it is now unclear to what extent Siri will be integrated into OS X 10.9.

Apple will be showing off its next versions of both OS X and iOS and its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) scheduled for June 10-14 in San Francisco. Last week, tickets for the conference sold out in two minutes.

Article Link: OS X 10.9 to Bring Enhancements to Finder, Safari, Multiple Monitor Support, and Multitasking

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Power user features....nice! Tabbed browsing in Finder is a def. plus.

Dual Monitor Setup is also a long time coming.

How about some iWork and Aperture love!

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
"Redesigned backend for Safari to bring "improved page loading, speed, and efficiency" Does this mean safari will seem snappier? ;)

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I try to give Apple the benefit of the doubt when most people bash the company, but I have to say, features like multi-monitor support for full screen applications should have been done right from the beginning, or at the very least made right in OS upgrades like Mountain Lion, when they had already had more than enough time to review customer complaints, analyze the technical aspects, and test any improvements. That being said, I'm looking forward to the new features described in the article.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
hum... might just spring for the next revision of the imac to take advantage of the new features. My 2007 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

dohspc

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Plano, TX
Better multi monitor support for OSX is definately something I'm looking forward to. Currently it's a joke compared to Windows 8 running in bootcamp on the same macbook.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Thank the LORD for the improved multiple display support. I've been waiting for that one for a long time!

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
According to one source, Apple has been testing a new multi-tasking system for OS X that is similar to the quick-app-switcher function on iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches. The multitasking feature will be functional for applications in the background, according to this person. Additionally, Apple could use app-pausing technologies from iOS to pause background application processes in OS X. This is significant as full performance could be given to foreground apps, which could help optimize battery life on Apple's notebook computers.
That's "power-user" feature? :confused:

I hope it doesn't suck if it's ported to OS X. The first thing I did when I installed OS X Lion/ML was to disable automatic termination.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
This is all good news, as long as the new backgrounding systems aren't a disaster. Which after Lion I'm not super confident about.

It would also be nice if they would shamelessly steal some of Windows 7's window management ideas.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
The dual display issue has been here since 10.7. Fixing it isn't a feature, it's a bug fix and they should be embarrassed that it's taken two MAJOR OS releases to correct the issue.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Finally some news on OS X!

I really really hope they do some under the hood improvements... 10.7 and 10.8 have been nowhere near as fast as 10.6 in my experience. I hope they bring some colour back to finder too...

lucasrant

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
Actual release frame?

So Mountain Lion was announced in February 2012, and released in July 2012. Does that mean that if 10.9 is announced at the WWDC, it´ll be 5/6 months before the public release?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I try to give Apple the benefit of the doubt when most people bash the company, but I have to say, features like multi-monitor support for full screen applications should have been done right from the beginning,

Most folks don't need it when you look at power users v common ones. What that vast majority needs is a system that doesn't crash because Safari is a
RAM hog, or time machine backups not working, or wifi that is crapped out by an update etc

Heck the common user doesn't typically even use the fast switcher in Mac OS even though its been there for generations and its the essentially the same keystroke as Windows. (Yep there's a fast switcher already)

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
9to5Mac has the code name as "Cabernet" (not "Cabaret"), which is more likely to be accurate based on Apple's past use of wine for internal OS X code names (Merlot, etc).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.