Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Google briefly leaked a video showing that its information aggregation tool Google Now would be coming to iOS. Several weeks later, Google chairman Eric Schmidt was asked about Google Now for iOS, and he noted that "you'll need to discuss that with Apple", although it was later confirmed that Google had not submitted a version of Google Now to the iOS App Store.

Roughly a month later, Google Now has now appeared in the App Store as part of a revamped version 3.0 of the company's Google Search app.
Get just the right information at just the right time with Google Now.

- weather and traffic conditions before you start your day
- updates on your favorite sports teams and breaking news stories as they happen
google_now_ios.jpg
The Verge has a brief preview of what users can expect from Google Now on iOS:
The look and feel of the app is virtually identical on both platforms, a testament to Google's newfound ability to make well-designed apps on iOS. The main differences between Android and iOS are few, mainly in that iOS can display fewer different kinds of cards. "The types of Google Now cards available are largely the same on both platforms," says Baris Gultekin, Director of Product Management for Google Now.

On iOS, the Google Search app can't be launched with a system-wide shortcut (unless you are a jailbreaker) and it can't do the same kind of background sync that Now can do on Android. However, Google tells us that it will support the iOS background location feature, so that at least it won't need to spend as long hunting for your position when you open up the Search app.
Google reports that 22 of the 29 card types found on the Android version of Google Now are making their way to the iOS version, with airline boarding passes, Fandango, and local events being among those not making the transition.

Google Search with Google Now functionality is available now in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Google Search' for iOS Updated With Google Now

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The always on location service usage in the background (even long after the app is closed) is unacceptable.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Beautiful app. Didn't even know about Google now till today. I am loving it so far!

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Google makes great apps for iOS NOWWW... I think Apple ended up winning in the tech game of the Apple Maps debut headline(fail short-term though), and in turn, in due time, we the consumer won as well with better apps from everyone.

Maybe Apple was mistaken for releasing Apple Maps too early, but NOW, at least that altercation between the 2 co's ramped up Google iOS app developers.

Google Search is awesome & so is Google Maps...

The always on location service usage in the background (even long after the app is closed) is unacceptable.

Even if the app is terminated 'Location Services' is still on???

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Very nicely designed, and voice search is so fast and accurate and shows what you're saying in real time, far better than Siri. Good job Google.

Last edited:

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
google now is creepy. If i'm standing next to a bus stop and launch google now it gives me cards that tell me the bus schedule :cool: clever stuff,

on android it works in your google searches into the cards you see. If you search for attractions or restraunts the next time your out and about and launch google now it will give you cards with suggestions for attractions & restraunts, you can tell it if those were usefull or not etc. pretty sweet

i take it on ios it wont have the ability to play music or launch apps?

Last edited:

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Very nicely designed, and voice search is so fast and accurate and shows what your saying in real time, far better than Siri. Good job Google.

yeah google voice stuff used to work the same way as apples. Record the whole phrase and send it to the server. Now its an open mic and transcribes each word as you say it. You can dictate for ages with it

apple needs more server power to deliver a service like googles.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
very nice... glad to see Google putting in 100% regardless of platform - it looks and works great on an ipad.

Last edited:

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Ya just realized that it doesn't stop using location services even after I quit the app from switcher....that's a deal breaker for me because controlling location service for it manually is is too much...otherwise great app

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Battery hog due to location services always on

I noticed this too, the arrow shows even if you close the app, it must be because you are signed into your g mail account.

I also noticed that it is draining my battery alot more, I have lost 5% in just a couple mins. (I'm not use to having location services always on so I am noticing a loss in my battery meter.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Google now is awesome, one of the best things on android. Glad to see it on ios.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Even if the app is terminated 'Location Services' is still on???
Yes, even if you double press home button and terminate the Google app, the location service is still on and if you go to Settings, Privacy, Location Services (iOS 6), you can clearly see a purple arrow (i.e. currently using location service) next to the Google app icon.

----------

whats classed as location services in ios? gps/wifi/3g? if so you need quick toggles - speak to apple

Location services means location services. It means that an app is querying the OS about your location.

----------

I noticed this too, the arrow shows even if you close the app, it must be because you are signed into your g mail account.

I also noticed that it is draining my battery alot more, I have lost 5% in just a couple mins. (I'm not use to having location services always on so I am noticing a loss in my battery meter.

Google app continually gets your location data even if you think that its process has been terminated by double clicking home button and long pressing the app icon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.