Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XPcentric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Yesterday I've seen two instances of TextEdit when using Cmd+Tab, although I did not open more than one instance and even if I have more text file, it should be only one instance in Leopard.

Today I've seen two instances of Safari when using Cmd+Tab switch. I find this unusual. Also my widgets were frozen before killing Safari.

All that I've done yesterday was to add some hosts to be blocked from advertising domains. I would like to know If I'm being spied or why this unusual behavior ?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
It's unlikely that you're being spied on, or that being spied on would cause this behaviour.
Firstly, check Activity Monitor to see if two or more Application instances are running, and quit one or both if necessary.

Secondly, use Spotlight to check whether you have more than one copy of the apps on your system.

Thirdly, boot to your installer disk and Repair your DISK. (NB: Disk, not Permissions.)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
In all the years I used OS X from 10.0-10.5.8 and 10.8 I only saw this once, this is in the root user (very odd) and it opens 3 instances of System preferences, one instance because it was set upon shutdown to open again and the other 2 are related to 2 preference panes which are in trail mode.
Except for that it never happened automatically in all the versions from 10.0-10.5.8.

XPcentric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
thank you. Now again I just read a pop up window on my screen telling me that only one instance of Firefox can run at one time, but I did not open another instance of Firefox. By the way, Firefox is the only program that I have installed multiple versions, but this time I did not try to run more than one instance. And what happened before with Safari and TextEdit I can not explain it in no way.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
thank you. Now again I just read a pop up window on my screen telling me that only one instance of Firefox can run at one time, but I did not open another instance of Firefox. By the way, Firefox is the only program that I have installed multiple versions, but this time I did not try to run more than one instance. And what happened before with Safari and TextEdit I can not explain it in no way.

If you open Activity Monitor you can see which user both instances are on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.