Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

nokia.jpg
Microsoft has introduced a new commercial (via The Verge) that plays on the ongoing conflict between Samsung and Apple. In the spot, iPhone and Samsung enthusiasts interrupt a wedding with a heated argument over which phone is better.

"Would you mind moving your enormous phone?" an iPhone owner asks a Galaxy user, who goes on to call it "enormously awesome." This kicks off an all out brawl, where insults like "iSheep" and "Copybox" are traded back and forth.

Two Nokia Lumia 920 owners stand by the sidelines, where one asks "You think if they knew about the Nokia Lumia they'd stop fighting all the time?" "I don't know," the other replies. "I think they kind of like fighting." The commercial, which strays away from mentioning specific phone features, positions the Windows Phone as a clear alternative to the iPhone and the Galaxy line, ending with the line "Don't fight. Switch."

The Lumia line, which first debuted in late 2011, sports Microsoft's Windows and marked Nokia's shift away from Symbian. The company's flagship phone, the Nokia Lumia 920, comes in a range of bright colors and sports a 4.5-inch screen, a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, and 1GB of RAM.

A recently conducted survey shows that Microsoft has a lot of work to do to convince smartphone users to choose its phones over those offered by Samsung and Apple. Microsoft is predicted to show a small amount of growth over the next few years, but is expected to remain dwarfed by iOS and Android phone sales well into the future.

Article Link: Microsoft Commercial Pits Apple Against Samsung to Tout Windows Phone

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Not going to lie, that superman/apple tattoo move at the end really got me haha

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
You think that if they knew that Nokia is about to go bankrupt, they would switch?

I mean really, this is not a good move in my opinion.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I guess the Microsoft marketing folks never heard "any publicity is good publicity."

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Clever Ad

But I'm still not getting a windows phone :D

They are in the discount bin already, Lumia 920 for $450, HTC 8x for $350

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
In a room full of people, only two people have MS phones and they're the domestics. Not a great message for an advert.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Is it even legal to directly refer to companies other than yours in an advert? I've never seen ads that do this, at least not on TV!

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Is it even legal to directly refer to companies other than yours in an advert? I've never seen ads that do this, at least not on TV!

So you haven't seen ads for insurance companies lately? They mention other companies in comparison all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.