Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAPOL

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2012
I dont know.
So here is my second and last post talking about this. I bought an iPad Mini on February. It was an amazing experience, as any IOS device. Really comfortable and a joy to use. But recently i started feeling that the screen was small, also not crisp at all.

The Bottom line is: I tried my girlfriend's iPad 3 for a couple hours, and i definitely wasn't spoiled by the weight at all. The added weigh is not a negative for me; I thought the retina display and the bigger size was actually better.

I use iPad for heavy web surfing, and i bring it to university to read on presentations, instead of my note book, also to take notes while in class. It mainly stays at home for web surfing and playing some games. Once a week i take it out to the outside world. It's like 70% home, 30% university.

So, do you think i should keep my mini or instead get an iPad 4? (I have a macbook 13' which i'm upgrading it to a 15' one)

Thank you, i hope you could help me decide. (Sory for my English, just learning)

Last edited:

vainhumility

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
I'd buy the bigger iPad, or as I like to call it, the maxiPad. iPad mini is great for portability but only for that. If you prefer the retina display and the bigger screen, no argument can be made for the mini.

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
I wasn't quite sure when you mentioned you take it to the University or it staying at home, but if you are bringing it to the University alot, then keep the mini. Your back will thank you. Anything that stays home a lot, get the bigger iPad.

I usually carry the Air and the mini together, and the mini is perfect for reading on my way to school.

You mentioned you are a heavy web surfer though, and the retina display probably matters here. If this is more important than portability then get the larger iPad. Otherwise everything else, the mini is fine.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Get an Ipad 4. If weight isn't a problem. 7.9 is too small for me too. Tablet should be 10 inch, web browsing is better on bigger screen.

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Since you already have the mini - I'd wait till the new revision of the new iPad and upgrade to that. Chances are it will be slightly smaller (With the same screen size) as the 4.
-Shaown

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I doubt that the less than 1 pound difference between the mini and the 4 is going to kill your back. I would still probably wait for the 5 unless you need it now.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I say stick with the Mini. I have one and I am not disappointed by the lack of retina at all. I think it is a plus. If apple were to add retina to the Mini (which they probably will) it will get heavier and thicker. It will loose some of it's form factor that makes the Mini light and comfortable to carry.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I wasn't quite sure when you mentioned you take it to the University or it staying at home, but if you are bringing it to the University alot, then keep the mini. Your back will thank you. Anything that stays home a lot, get the bigger iPad.

Really? Your back gets tired carrying 1.44 lbs?! Talk about first world problems...

I love my full size iPad. I take it everywhere in a messenger bag and my back (or shoulder) never gets tired...

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I don't care much about real world problem. I have an iPad 2 and I love it. Also I bought a new 15" MacBook Pro retina with me in the messenger bag..both does not bother me at all I try not to think about heavy weight. :apple:

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
In your description it definitely sounds like you want people to push you towards an iPad 4. If you want one instead of a Mini then get one.

MacAPOL

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2012
I dont know.
Thank you all for the replies. Im thinking to stay with mini and when mini retina and ipad 5 come out, i will either buy the 5 or change the mini with the retina one. The smaller screen is nice, im hopong for a retina display and maube there i will continue with the mini form factor

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
Get the retina. I had the mini for 2 days and I returned it for the retina and couldn't be happier. Or like others have said just wait for the 5...

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
How about getting one of each, then you will avoid this:

image.jpg

MacAPOL

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2012
I dont know.
Although i love the mini's design and feel, i'm selling it. The retina is much more apreciated. Although i dont know if its a smart move to buy a 4 right now. I think that if the mini gets retina i will stay with the smaller screen. I dont know, its driving me crazy :p.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Both have flaws: the mini with it's screen; the 3, 4 with it's weight. I own a mini and a 3 and use both daily so I speak from experience.

I would 100% not buy any new iPad of any type at this point. I think the next models of each will be much more than a speed bump the 4 was to the 3. The mini is begging for a better screen; we'll have to see if Apple had cracked that nut.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
I would 100% not buy any new iPad of any type at this point. I think the next models of each will be much more than a speed bump the 4 was to the 3. The mini is begging for a better screen; we'll have to see if Apple had cracked that nut.

This.

The next mini may very well have a retina screen and the iPad 5 is rumoured to be 25% lighter, which would be halfway to a mini.

If either of those things are true then choosing between those two devices is going to be a much more difficult first world problem, imo.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Don't bother with wondering if it'll look strange if you have so many devices if you buy an iPad 4.

Just ask yourself this question: Do you want an iPad 4 or not?

Make a decision either way and run with it, and don't look back!

When iPad 4 came out, I wondered if I should wait or not. I flipped a coin and decided to get one. To this day, I'm really happy I made the choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.