Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The original iPhone will soon be considered obsolete in Apple Retail Stores according to an internal Apple document shared by 9to5Mac. Products considered 'obsolete' are ineligible for service parts and documentation at retail stores and cannot be repaired at mail-in AppleCare Repair Centers.

Apple typically makes products 'obsolete' or 'vintage' five years after they are discontinued, though there are some exceptions where required by law. The original iPhone went on sale in June 2007 and was discontinued in July 2008 when the iPhone 3G was released.

iphone.jpg

Other Apple products that will be considered 'vintage' as of June 11, 2013 include the mid-2007 models of the iMac, the late 2006 model Xserve, and the original Mac Pro. 9to5Mac has the list of newly minted vintage and obsolete products, while Apple maintains a list of all products named vintage or obsolete going back to the Apple II.

Article Link: Original iPhone Will Soon Be 'Obsolete' In Apple Retail Stores

Last edited:
Reactions: Jhonjhon236

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
A handheld device that's over 6 years old is considered obsolete by the manufacturer. Exactly 0 people in the entire world are surprised by this "news".

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Woah.

I still remember that warm June day. It was truly magical. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE wanted one of those phones. Something like 75% of all Americans new the iPhones release date - andApple had a $0 marketing budget for it.

RIP little guy.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
This phone was revolutionary. There were none like it ever before.

Now we got Tim Cook.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I have one in mint condition running 3.1.3 Sometimes I'll use a SIM adaptor and pop in my iPhone5 sim and use it for a day or so.

I do have another running on 1.4
Anyone know how to activate this one? Simply installing my activated SIM (as above) doesn't work.

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
1st Gen iPod Touch will make the list in September. I really wish iHome would allow me to use their app still. it would be a nice dedicated alarm clock.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have one in mint condition running 3.1.3 Sometimes I'll use a SIM adaptor and pop in my iPhone5 sim and use it for a day or so.

I do have another running on 1.4
Anyone know how to activate this one? Simply installing my activated SIM (as above) doesn't work.

I do too. Obviously very out of date now, but I still consider it the best tech purchase I ever made for the time I bought it.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
This phone was revolutionary. There were none like it ever before.

Now we got Tim Cook.

The problem with the Tim Cook bashing is that you don't seem to understand how CEOs really work. Steve Jobs was an exception. The CEO isn't supposed to innovate. They're supposed to run the day-to-day business end of things. Cook is perfect for what he's supposed to be doing. It's Jonny Ive's job to innovate.

historyteacher

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
The problem with the Tim Cook bashing is that you don't seem to understand how CEOs really work. Steve Jobs was an exception. The CEO isn't supposed to innovate. They're supposed to run the day-to-day business end of things. Cook is perfect for what he's supposed to be doing. It's Jonny Ive's job to innovate.

Great point. Well stated.

mm

Rychiar

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
then why was my old 2007 iMac considered "vintage" last year when my parents took it in for repair cus the graphics card was blown:mad:

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
The only numbers that are important is the number of years when it was discontinued. It's 2013 - long after the five year limit 2007 product.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Toss some speakers on and you have a great stereo for an extra room! iTunes, Pandora, podcasts, whatever. That's where my old iPhone will go to die. (iPhone "2" a.k.a. 3G, still going strong today--my family uses it.)

I neverliked the 2-tone back of the orignal. But what's the usable life on the other modern smartphones that aped it, I wonder?

charks

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
We still have ours...in great condition although it only holds a charge for a few hours. I found it a few days ago in my 9 year son's desk drawer. Evidently he had found it in our office drawer...pulled it out and charged it up so he could play secretly at night. Confiscated it...and enabled the password. Sneaky boy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.