Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Perhaps it was the fact that BBC iPlayer allows downloads. Or the fact it works flawlessly with Cisco iPsec VPN. Maybe I'm missing iOS (I was going to get a new iOS device eventually, now the parents effectively own the iPad) and lost patience. Today I walked into an Apple store and bought the Mini. I've played with one often enough to know what I'm getting, so no surprises compared to my Nexus 7; just mostly a lot of comfortable known knowns.

The good news for you lot, knowing my luck and sense of timing, is that the new retina Mini and lighter 5G, full fat iPad, are likely to be announced any day now!

If I have any questions, I'll drop by and ask.

Edit: Oh, and I preferred the Skype app to the Android version. I do an awful lot of Skype calling and video calling.

Last edited:

funkyc

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
I know how you feel. It takes every ounce of my willpower to stop me from buying an ipad mini every time I walk past the store. And my office is just down the street from one, so I have to fight the urge multiple times a day! :eek:

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Never underestimate the power of an iPad mini- I gave in and bought one also. We have an iPad 3 retina but I wanted the form factor of the mini.

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
Iam tempted too.i would go buy one then next week apple
Would anouce the new mini and ipad5 lol

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I traded my iPad 3 cellular for a mini cellular. I just love the form factor when carrying it around in and out. I also find it great for use in the car. I have it set up for $10 Speakout UMB. Together with VPN from work, it becomes very affordable to pay for data for both my iPhone and iPad.

Gymgenius

Suspended
Jan 29, 2010
I love my mini, and when I see a full sized iPad now, I can't help thinking how massive they look.

I much prefer the smaller size of the mini.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Having actually played with it and the Nexus 7 side to side, for the first time:

- Lower PPI: Not that much of a difference. For example, small text is clearer on Kindle on the Nexus 7 but you get the same amount of text per page on the bigger iPad screen (and you can make that a bit smaller and still have a comfortable read.

- The text in the OS level prompts can be tiny at times though

- Web browsing in 4:3 is nicer and so far, I've not needed to zoom on the Mini.

- iPlayer looks a little nicer in HD on the Android, but the facility to download content vastly outweighs this.

- Likewise, with Netflix, 16:9 HD content looks nicer (but there are occasional sound glitches on the Nexus that are not present on the Mini - especially when watching the most excellent House of Cards).

- Android notification centre is in a different league (Apple, take note).

- On the Nexus, I replaced my keyboard with one (Swiftkey) that has a distinct edge over Apple.

- I prefer the iOS Facebook app.

- But I miss the Facebook Messenger app.

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
Congrats, enjoy and use it - don´t worry on what new device will come and what the feature might be, the mini is great for now.
My Air is barely in use now and the iPhone just here and there, the mini is with me most of the time, absolutely great gadget.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The mini is a fantastic device and all this bickering about screen resolution is just splitting hairs in my opinion. The screen is excellent, albeit not retina. Certainly good enough for anything you'd want to do on a tablet.

The form factor is just simply amazing. The first time I held it, I could not believe how how thin and light Apple made it.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Good buy.

I have an iPad, and I got my wife a Mini for her birthday. My resolution is better, and it makes a difference in reading fine text… However, for the majority of stuff I use the iPad for, I just like holding the much lighter and smaller mini more. Now I want one, but will probably have to wait a while. :(

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
The mini is a fantastic device and all this bickering about screen resolution is just splitting hairs in my opinion. The screen is excellent, albeit not retina. Certainly good enough for anything you'd want to do on a tablet.

The form factor is just simply amazing. The first time I held it, I could not believe how how thin and light Apple made it.

I agree! And for perspective, anyone who feels the mini's resolution is somehow poor should go sit and use a Windows machine. Use one running XP if you have access to it. THAT will convince you that your mini has outstanding resolution when you compare fonts. I'm not bashing Windows, just stating fact as I sit here on an XP machine and see how poorly the machine renders fonts compared to anything Apple makes.

Aug 26, 2008
I agree! And for perspective, anyone who feels the mini's resolution is somehow poor should go sit and use a Windows machine. Use one running XP if you have access to it. THAT will convince you that your mini has outstanding resolution when you compare fonts. I'm not bashing Windows, just stating fact as I sit here on an XP machine and see how poorly the machine renders fonts compared to anything Apple makes.

How does a machine running Windows have anything to do with the resolution of said machine?

By the way, do a little research on Windows vs. OS X font rendering. At lower resolutions it is generally accepted that Windows is far easier on the eyes for reading. OS X is blurry because of the choices they made with respect to font rendering.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/vista-puts-mac-os-x-font-rendering-to-shame/682

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/06/whats-wrong-with-apples-font-rendering.html

http://superuser.com/questions/457153/getting-crisper-fonts-in-os-x-after-switching-from-windows

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
How does a machine running Windows have anything to do with the resolution of said machine?

By the way, do a little research on Windows vs. OS X font rendering. At lower resolutions it is generally accepted that Windows is far easier on the eyes for reading. OS X is blurry because of the choices they made with respect to font rendering.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/vista-puts-mac-os-x-font-rendering-to-shame/682

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/06/whats-wrong-with-apples-font-rendering.html

http://superuser.com/questions/457153/getting-crisper-fonts-in-os-x-after-switching-from-windows
I use Linux, Chrome OS, Windows XP and 7, and OSX. I can zoom fonts on Linux and OSX and they remain clear. At normal resolution and not zoomed, Windows fonts are not as clear. I'm talking default fonts in various applications such as web browser, Outlook and others.

I wasn't tying to slam Windows, just saying what my experience is. Fonts are choppier (specifically, the letter "a" in lowercase, "W" in uppercase, but others as well) and a bit blurred on curved edges. This remains the same on the laptop screen, the 24" Samsung monitor and the 21" Dell monitor. It's my work computer and I have no control over the hardware or software, but it's always been this way on my current machine and all previous Windows work machines.

I even zoomed in the other night on my Chromebook running ChromeOS (Acer C7 $200 machine) and was surprised the fonts remained clear even zoomed compared to my work computer.

I don't need to do any research when it's visibly different in its default mode. And yes, I'm running at highest resolution on each monitor.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I was in the same boat.

I'd looked forward to the Mini as much as anyone. But when the specs and price were released, I bought a Nexus 7.

There were some things to like at first. The form factor is perfect. I loved the durability of the rubber back/gorilla glass. It was an excellent for watching video in the widescreen format. Moving my music collection over was a breeze and most apps I wanted were available.

But over time it seemed like it kept slowing down. It lagged, I got 'wait/ignore/ok' errors daily - I only used it when I traveled.

I bought a Mini for my mom as she was getting ready to travel for a month. Setting it up and playing with if for a couple of days made me realize how much better it was than the N7.

I bought my own two days later and can't seem to put it down. yeah the screen wasn't as good, but I got over that really quickly.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I was in the same boat.

I'd looked forward to the Mini as much as anyone. But when the specs and price were released, I bought a Nexus 7.

i also bought a Nexus 7 thinking that at that price it's a good buy. but as soon as i got it and held in my hand i suddenly realized it's not what i think it is. had it for a week and sold it. then i bought myself a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.7. it's even worst than the nexus so i returned it after a week. went to Apple store and bought myself a Mini.i can see why Apple charged a premium for their products. once you hold a mini in your hand you can tell right away why it's more expensive. i have an Ipad 3 retina and mini's non retina to me is not that bad. i wonder how amazing it will be if we have a mini retina. i will be the first in line to buy it.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
i also bought a Nexus 7 thinking that at that price it's a good buy. but as soon as i got it and held in my hand i suddenly realized it's not what i think it is. had it for a week and sold it. then i bought myself a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.7. it's even worst than the nexus so i returned it after a week. went to Apple store and bought myself a Mini.i can see why Apple charged a premium for their products. once you hold a mini in your hand you can tell right away why it's more expensive. i have an Ipad 3 retina and mini's non retina to me is not that bad. i wonder how amazing it will be if we have a mini retina. i will be the first in line to buy it.

I travel a lot and have a full size iPad 4 - Beautiful device and I love it!

I do have a work laptop, papers, reports and other stuff with me when I travel, so the weight of the iPad 4 and size in my bag is not always optimal (and the fact that my daughter and wife would like me to leave it at home with them :) )

So I'm pretty damn close to buying a Mini as a second travel device - genius size and weight and would give us an iPad more.

Stupid time to buy it?

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Stupid time to buy it?

Depends. I bought mine because my travel is picking up. Within days of buying it, I've already been asked to plan an urgent trip to West Africa. So in addition to enjoying my new toy at home, I'm going to get the immediate intended value from it. If you're going t be travelling a lot for business over the summer (bearing in mind you already have a full sized model) then it's hardly stupid to buy now.

If OTOH summer is a low period for your business travel, and you already have a full sized iPad, perhaps there's no harm in waiting?

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
If you're going t be travelling a lot for business over the summer (bearing in mind you already have a full sized model) then it's hardly stupid to buy now.

If OTOH summer is a low period for your business travel, and you already have a full sized iPad, perhaps there's no harm in waiting?

Makes sense. And makes me go buy it ! Will have a look and pick one up the next couple of days - As always with Apple gadgets: Looking forward to it!

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Must say - I LOVE my new mini. Bought it with 4G and know this little buddy will be a massive pleasure on travel!

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Planning to sell my useless Galaxy tab 2 10.1" and replace it with ipad mini, the question is with one should i get - 32GB or 16GB with 4G ?

Bigger storing space or the option of having internet everywhere... ?
:confused:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Planning to sell my useless Galaxy tab 2 10.1" and replace it with ipad mini, the question is with one should i get - 32GB or 16GB with 4G ?

Bigger storing space or the option of having internet everywhere... ?
:confused:

That's a tough one to answer without knowing your needs. I went for the Internet everywhere model, because of my needs. To me this magnificent device is more an Internet portal than a permanent storage of my pictures etc.

Wen I travel I usually pack it with a couple of episodes of some of the tv series I'm behind in and the daily newspaper and such. Besides that some obvious apps and games. For that my 16 is more than enough.

My iPad 4 on the other hand is used as a small computer on vacations and at home. I went for the 32 with that to be able to empty my dSLR camera on it and be able to browse the pictures we take while abroad.

So depends on your needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.