Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you buy?

• Today's current iPad mini at $329?

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • A 32gig iPad mini that matches spec for spec iPad 4 at $500

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • Or 16gig iPad 4 at $500

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Not sure if this was actually asked but would people be interested in buying a no compromise $500 iPad mini that has the same specs as the latest full size iPad but double the storage. For example:

Same specs as the iPad 4 but with 32gig instead of 16gig. All other specs remain the same. And when iPad 5 comes out exactly the same specs with 32gig of storage. Which would you guys buy?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
500 dollars, no.

The current mini meets my needs, I don't really play a lot of games, and I've not been bothered by the screen so if the current model meets those needs why spend 500.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
The current base mini is 330. So for 170 more, you would get retina, double the ram, double the storage, faster cpu, faster gpu. Absolutely I'd get it. No brainer.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Seeing as how I already have a mini. No. I wouldn't simply because I couldn't justify it. Despite the subpar screen and paltry RAM I can still conduct business on the go just fine. Fits easy in the hand and can take it to meetings, events, presentations etc. just fine. Maybe after the next couple refreshes.

Last edited:

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Good grief NO! Not when my brand new, purchased directly from Apple, 32 GB Mini cost $429. Why would I want to pay significantly more than list price?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
No. I appreciate that many people like the iPad mini. I'm waiting for the iPad 5. I'll get the 64GB with cellular data and Apple care, probably for close to $900. For my business use that is well worth it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't think I can wrap my head around a $500 mini w/o Retina. I bought a 16GB b/c I liked the lower weight and my iPad 3 can't get annoyingly heavy. But the mini screen once your eyeballs are use to Retina is a big compromise, and $500 is a lot of $ for what you get... or don't get.

So bottom line, I don't think an "uncompromised" mini exists today. If you can hold off until #2 is announced I would, or else just buy a 16GB online for $300 today and sell it in August ahead of the #2 announcement. You should be able to recoup at least 2/3rds of that back... cheap rental.

Also we don't have any details on what the iPad 5 will look like or weigh. If Apple can cut the weight back to iPad 2 specs then IMHO there is less of a need for the mini other than it being a less expensive price point.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
i'd rather just wait for the mini to get a retina display, and i'll buy that for $330.

So what if the ipad mini 2 matched the iPad 5? A quad core A7, 2gig of ram, 8mp camera and 32gig.

And guys, I would be shocked if Apple releases a Retina iPad mini for $330. You kill your full size iPad and it will cost more money to produce.

----------

Add I'm surprised that not one person picked the full size iPad 4. Apple has really hurt the image of the full size iPad.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I don't have any iPad (yet) but I agree with the spirit of this thread. Cheap is nice and I do get annoyed when companies (not always Apple) overprice things. But if you deliver a quality product that I want and don't compromise I will happily pay more for it.

The form factor for the iPad mini is amazing. If iOS7 + a better screen deliver all that is promised I wouldn't mind spending more for it. Although it will be really difficult to decide between a $500 iPad mini vs $500 iPad5...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So what if the ipad mini 2 matched the iPad 5? A quad core A7, 2gig of ram, 8mp camera and 32gig.

And guys, I would be shocked if Apple releases a Retina iPad mini for $330. You kill your full size iPad and it will cost more money to produce.

----------

Add I'm surprised that not one person picked the full size iPad 4. Apple has really hurt the image of the full size iPad.

I'm thinking about switching back to the full sized iPad when the 5 comes out and selling my mini.

Now that I have an HTC One, I'm mostly on my phones. My mini is used for watching sports and videos - something done much better with a larger screen. Plus, I carry a bag to work every day, so portability isn't a huge issue, though weight when holding always was.

Given the rumors of the 5 (light, iPad mini-like design), I might be tempted to go back to the full-size.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I'm thinking about switching back to the full sized iPad when the 5 comes out and selling my mini.

Now that I have an HTC One, I'm mostly on my phones. My mini is used for watching sports and videos - something done much better with a larger screen. Plus, I carry a bag to work every day, so portability isn't a huge issue, though weight when holding always was.

Given the rumors of the 5 (light, iPad mini-like design), I might be tempted to go back to the full-size.

I also have a Note 2 but I don't want to own a mini with it. A full size iPad 5 makes more sense especially if Apple decides to water the mini down with old specs (mini iPad 3 anyone?). And I really don't want 2 devices with the same OS. Android for phones and iOS for tablets. Now if Apple releases a souped up mini with the same specs as the iPad 5 then I might think about downgrading my phone to something smaller like a S4 or HTC One (and yes, the Note 2 is still bigger than a sub 5" phone). A S4 and a retina mini will make a great odd couple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.