Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Hi guys,

My iphone has been dying really quickly recently. I left the office around 5ish, listened to music, browsed the web and made 10 mins worth of phone calls - GPS and wifi off, push mail off and screen on auto brightness yet the phone was on 40% by 6:30pm! Is this right? Can I take it back to the apple store (bought it through a carrier) and get this sorted?

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
You don't actually mention in your post what percentage your phone was on prior to leaving the office, meaning we cannot make any valid advice.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Even if you started at 100% that sounds like good battery life... Were you browsing on LTE? How long were you listening to music?

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Doesn't sound good to me.
On my iPhone 5 I can go from 8:00AM to 3:30PM only on 5% of battery. And I d some browsing on the internet. My old iPhone 4 would be at 35% with the same amount of usage. You might want to check your settings and make sure apps aren't trying to get on the internet, or your phone is trying to find itself all the time.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
On my iPhone 5 I can go from 8:00AM to 3:30PM only on 5% of battery. And I d some browsing on the internet. My old iPhone 4 would be at 35% with the same amount of usage. You might want to check your settings and make sure apps aren't trying to get on the internet, or your phone is trying to find itself all the time.

I need to see a screenshot of that.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan

Are you on wifi during that time?

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
As always after such a strange battery consumption the best thing is to restore ... if the thing carries on it's better to go to assistance

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Are you on wifi during that time?

Wifi off, bluetooth off, all apps killed, minimal browsing, no phone, some texting, no mail app (I use Gmail app), no hotspot and no streaming. I can hit the 92-95% range by the end of the day. Now if I do heavy browsing for a project at school forget about it.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I need to see a screenshot of that.

I did not change the time, or turn off the phone. I used it as I normally do by checking Email once or twice, surfing internet for a moment or two here and there, and sending a few texts.I took these in two different cities, the first being while I was at home and the second being at school.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I did not change the time, or turn off the phone. I used it as I normally do by checking Email once or twice, surfing internet for a moment or two here and there, and sending a few texts.I took these in two different cities, the first being while I was at home and the second being at school.
[url=http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i412/RossRacing7x/IMG_8802_zpsabeef7b6.png]Image[/URL][url=http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i412/RossRacing7x/IMG_0425_zpsb7e9447d.png]Image[/URL]

I meant a screen shot of your usage. It's in the settings app.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013

I call BS here! There's no way you use 5% in 9.5 hours!

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
With minimal usage it isn't hard to only use 5% battery

I could go hours on a few percentages of battery by only checking my phone when it was necessary

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
It's an iPhone 5, it was 100% charged when I left the office.
Thought it was a fluke but its done the same today! This has got to be a dodgey phone. Can I take it to apple to look at? What facts do I need?

----------

What model phone do have and how old is it? Just to start off with.

Sorry, it's a month old iPhone 5.

----------

Is it an iPhone 5? If so, then there is definitely an issue. Did you call customer support or better yet...did you go to the carrier's office?

Not yet, I'm debating what to do. I'm thinking of popping into an apple store but I don't want them to think I just want a replacement- what I want is a phone with the advertised battery life.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Y'all, go ahead and take it into the Apple store at your earliest convenience. Show them the screenshots of your usage and how bad it's being draining with minimal usage. The genius will switch it out for you. I did this with a faulty 4S and this one is working very well.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I have a 4S but I have seen bizarre and rapid battery draining issues. For a while it didn't matter if I was browsing the web, sending a handful of texts, answering emails or playing a complex game-if I hit 5hrs of active use the phone was dead. Standby ranged from 6hrs to 12 hrs, the magic number was 5 hours of use. Even if that use was just a 5 min phone call and a handful of texts, emails, and other light phone use.

I wiped it and started over new, and started seeing the same issues. The worst was the other day, with almost no use (just shy of 4 hours) I was at 3%.

At this point I've determined it's either an issue with iOS 6.1.3 or a dying battery. Either way I'm due for a new subsidized phone in June-hopefully by then there's an update to iOS that stabilizes the battery bug, or I'll jump to an iPhone 5 under warranty and if the issue continues address it then.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Thought it was a fluke but its done the same today! This has got to be a dodgey phone. Can I take it to apple to look at? What facts do I need?

----------

----------

Not yet, I'm debating what to do. I'm thinking of popping into an apple store but I don't want them to think I just want a replacement- what I want is a phone with the advertised battery life.

You can't just pop in, you have to book an appointment with a "genius".

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008

----------

----------

Have you tried restoring the phone?

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Have you tried restoring the phone?

I have yes and no change, seems to have the same instant drain.

----------

This has to be the 4531st thread on the same issue...just do the following

1. clear off all cookies, history and cache
2. close all apps running in the background
3. put the display on auto, or much preferably, on the lowest if you dont go out that much like me.
5. close wifi, bluetooth and GPS and turn them on ONLY when you need em.
4. give it a restart

Tada!

If you look at the first post you will see I have done pretty much all of those. I think such a high percentage in a short space of time isn't right, apples advertising say 8 hours of use - they can bend the stats and turn everything off, but I think I might have a dud.
I'm going to replicate the issue today and take pictures then go to the apple store when I can and see what try say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.