Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's stock price at its lowest levels since 2011, Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov -- one of the main investors behind the Digital Sky Technologies investment group -- has purchased $100 million of Apple stock, reports Bloomberg.

usmanov.jpg
"I believe in the future of this company even after Steve Jobs," Usmanov, 59, said in an interview at Bloomberg's Moscow offices, referring to Apple's late co-founder. "When the company lost $100 billion of its market value, it was a good time to buy its shares, as the capitalization should rebound."
Usmanov is estimated to be Russia's richest man with a fortune worth $19.8 billion.

Article Link: Russian Billionaire Buys $100 Million in Apple Stock

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
I honestly think that the people who claim that apple are doomed, are stupid. Seriously, even thing the profits this auareter weren't the highest, ask yourselves this: what product was launched in this quarter? Nothing! No announcement this quarter. So how can someone realistically expect record-breaking charts?

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Should have invested 1 Billion. Now we're talking :cool:

Jumped about 10 points today. Nice :apple:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Should have invested 1 Billion. Now we're talking :cool:

Jumped about 10 points today. Nice :apple:

It's jumped about 10 points every day for the last five days. AAPL is completely under-valued right now. If I had a $100M to invest, it is where I would put it. I already put a load of my investment money in AAPL for the long-term. I don't think the stock has seen its high even at $700. Too bad, my investment money is nowhere near the $100M this guy can throw around. He's going to make some serious cash.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
I honestly think that the people who claim that apple are doomed, are stupid. Seriously, even thing the profits this auareter weren't the highest, ask yourselves this: what product was launched in this quarter? Nothing! No announcement this quarter. So how can someone realistically expect record-breaking charts?

And though the quarterly profits weren't the highest, they were the *FOURTH* highest in the history of the company - only 3 quarters ever have done better, and (though I haven't checked), I'm confident that the 3 higher ones were Q4 rather than Q1.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
It's jumped about 10 points every day for the last five days. AAPL is completely under-valued right now. If I had a $100M to invest, it is where I would put it. I already put a load of my investment money in AAPL for the long-term. I don't think the stock has seen its high even at $700. Too bad, my investment money is nowhere near the $100M this guy can throw around. He's going to make some serious cash.

Just curious... is there any other company you'd feel comfortable putting a lot of money into?

It seems like the consumer electronics market is a fickle market.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Buy low, sell high. Sounds like a winning strategy. Seems like such a simple concept, yet the majority of folks do the opposite.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I could throw up imagining his winnings if the shares climb up $100 ... Throw up in envy of course :)

Very smart move ...

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Ptooey!

Pin money.

A mere bagatelle.

Money found in my couch cushions.

Wait until the news hit about MY stock purchase.

I can say no more now...:cool:

stevejolly

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Houston, TX
:p:p
Just invest 10% of his money on me, then I would be extremely happy :)

No, no, no! I can top that offer. Invest in ME!

Just invest 10% of your money in me, and I will grow!

Estimated rate of growth, short-term, with adequate funding, with three reeeeealy nice, big meals a day (I will guarantee that!), then a nice long nap each day in very relaxing surroundings; say, Cabo or even on the Black Sea near Yalta or Istanbul; I could easily double my size in less than two years, pretty much a lock on that! :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
:p:p

No, no, no! I can top that offer. Invest in ME!

Just invest 10% of your money in me, and I will grow!

Estimated rate of growth, short-term, with adequate funding, with three reeeeealy nice, big meals a day (I will guarantee that!), then a nice long nap each day in very relaxing surroundings; say, Cabo or even on the Black Sea near Yalta or Istanbul; I could easily double my size in less than two years, pretty much a lock on that! :)

Great plan, but selling shares of yourself could be painful.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
One more dip would be great, so I could buy a few more shares. AAPL has been trading completely decoupled from reality ever since the Hedge Fund Managers believed the twitter/blogo/geekaverse that Android was "like, totally cooler and they are innovating better than Apple" and that somehow Samsung would not only surpass Apple, but take the lead in design direction. When I watched the cringeworthy S4 announcement, it was proven once and for all that Samsung has no taste, none. I couldn't watch the whole thing it was so painfully lame.

A short time after that those hedge fund idiots realized something that is so obvious to most of us: Android is a platform people move to when they are new to smartphones. Once they use one the realize what they really want, and they typically jump ship to iOS and then they stay there. This means Android builds market share as long at the number of dumb phones >= smart phones. Guess what, that threshold is over now. And if Android can't hold on, people will jump ship to Apple, Blackberry, and maybe if they are feeling masochistic, they'll go to Winblows Phony.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
And though the quarterly profits weren't the highest, they were the *FOURTH* highest in the history of the company - only 3 quarters ever have done better, and (though I haven't checked), I'm confident that the 3 higher ones were Q4 rather than Q1.

Imagine, and the other quarters had blockbuster product lanches. Apple is strangely moving all of the products to fall for some reason. We haven't even heard a peep from them, besides the earnings calls and the WWDC 2013 date announcement.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

What publicly traded company had higher profits this quarter? Exxon Mobile's were $9.5B, same as Apple's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.