Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Consumer Reports today released the results of its annual computer tech support survey, which revealed that Apple bested its own scores from last year while also topping every other brand-name computer manufacturer.
The company scored far higher than the other big companies for the elements that make for successful online and phone support: ease of contacting staff, clarity of advice, technical knowledge, patience, and time for follow-up.
Although the full details of the survey are restricted to Consumer Reports subscribers, Macworld reports that Apple's Genius Bar was able to solve 88 percent of problems for in-store support, compared to 73 percent for Staples' EasyTech and 70 percent for Best Buy's Geek Squad.

consumer_reports_wordmark.jpg
Consumers surveyed also said that Apple was able to help solve 82 percent of computer problems, more than any other manufacturer, with only independent custom computer shops coming close to Apple. Overall, Apple rated 86 out of 100, which the publication describes as "very satisfied." The next closest brand was Lenovo, which scored a 63 out of 100, or "fairly well satisfied."

Apple traditionally performs well in Consumer Reports' surveys, and has been highly rated for a number of years.

Article Link: Apple Tops Consumer Reports' Tech Support Ratings, Bests Its Own Score

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
Apple is by far the best I only called them twice one time for asking when is my computer arriving and when I forgot to use and iPod touch apple care that was already 2 years old , they was so nice even without asking she gave me a refund

ihateilove

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
It's not rocket science

It amazes me that while Apple continues to attempt to focus on customer need, its opponents just seem concerned for price. Sure, I'm all for a utilitarian approach to these things -- tech should be available to all -- but I can't figure out why other makers can't try harder. Then there's the media which seems to equate 'cheap' with 'good'. It's quite depressing really.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
This is great news. I like all the positive stuff coming out about Apple.

I love Apple support. So refreshing to take a bit of tech into a shop and get some great advice or a fix.

:apple:

mwolenski

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
Consumer Reports: the same publication that gave the iPhone 4 a "don't buy" recommendation.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I have nothing but compliments for my one and only call to the Apple help-desk. I was referred to an agent for repairs and my new 27" screen was in place and back here within a matter of days! Couldn't ask for better, except for it not to have needed repairs, but faults can happen to everything, it's part and parcel of humans being involved with manufacturing processes.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Interestingly, the 15" MBP and 13" MBAcame out on tops as well, with the 11" MBA finishing second. The Dell XPS13-1000SLV Ultrabook came out as a Best Buy over the 13" MBA.

As with an CR results, it's best to check how the features you value scored since overall scores may include things of no value (either as a + or - to final score).

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
That's why I buy AppleCare -- for unrestricted access to that impeccable customer service. I've called them many times, even for seemingly minor questions I've had, and they're always unfailingly helpful.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Anyone can list an instance where they've gone into an Apple Store and didn't have a great experience (e.g. long wait times, inattentive staff). But overall, I think they deserve credit for providing a great tech support environment.

-staff is usually smart, friendly (esp. if you compare to other retailers)
-repair turnaround is usually 3 days, not 3 weeks
-stores are extremely clean and thoughtfully laid out

What politician said "Don't compare me to perfection, compare me to the alternative"? ;)

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Anyone can list an instance where they've gone into an Apple Store and didn't have a great experience (e.g. long wait times, inattentive staff). But overall, I think they deserve credit for providing a great tech support environment.

-staff is usually smart, friendly (esp. if you compare to other retailers)
-repair turnaround is usually 3 days, not 3 weeks
-stores are extremely clean and thoughtfully laid out

What politician said "Don't compare me to perfection, compare me to the alternative"? ;)

I agree entirely, they are masters at customer service but then we do pay for it!

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I agree entirely, they are masters at customer service but then we do pay for it!

And pay it gladley! This is one of the many things that sets Apple ahead of the rest of the pack. Most of the pack spends their money on product features, while Apple users are more than willing to pay extra for the many benefits.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
Consumer Reports: the same publication that gave the iPhone 4 a "don't buy" recommendation.

Ha! I remember that. CR got skewered on MR. So now I'm going to guess they are reputable and accurate in their assessment. We humans are a fickle bunch.

On topic. Apple does have the best customer service regardless of who says it.

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
"The full details of the survey are restricted to Consumer Reports subscribers."

That's not even 1% of actual consumers.

kevinp8192

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
I absolutely agree that Apple support is second to none. Could not believe my one experience with a MBP hardware issue at the genius bar--the battery was burning/warping it and they fixed it right there on site! But still:
Apple's Genius Bar was able to solve 88 percent of problems for in-store support, compared to 73 percent for Staples' EasyTech and 70 percent for Best Buy's Geek Squad.
to be fair, because of the relatively small number of devices and configurations of what Apple has to support compared to Staples or the Geek Squad isn't really a fair comparison. Apple can keep (most) parts for just about anything they sell in-store, which is nearly impossible for Staples or Best Buy. I think 73% and 70% respectively for them is surprisingly pretty good as well.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts

Actually, it was "not recommended". They didn't mention anything about not buying it.

Odd, did the moderators just delete a couple of comments in this thread? Seems uncalled for.

If the comments were off topic, then they get deleted. I've found this out the hard way. Chances are yours will too.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
If the comments were off topic, then they get deleted. I've found this out the hard way. Chances are yours will too.

I wasn't referring to a comment that I posted, but a delightful and ironic comment that someone wrote in Junglist poking fun at how Phandroids would react to the news. Seemed on topic to me.

Maybe the author of the article was miffed because someone criticized their use of the word "best" as a verb? Huge overreaction.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
love going to their store, its like candy land , make you wanna work hard and get all the candy :cool:

Then you see all those guys in blue , you cant wait to come back with a faulty candy cos you know its gonna be fixed with a real smile.:D

mwolenski

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
Actually, it was "not recommended". They didn't mention anything about not buying it.

Thank you for the correction, I didn't remember the exact details.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
It amazes me that while Apple continues to attempt to focus on customer need, its opponents just seem concerned for price. Sure, I'm all for a utilitarian approach to these things -- tech should be available to all -- but I can't figure out why other makers can't try harder. Then there's the media which seems to equate 'cheap' with 'good'. It's quite depressing really.

The thing is Apple doesn't really have competition in the traditional sense. Either you're buying an Apple product and you know you are, or you're buying Something Else. When all the Something Else is commoditized and fairly low quality, you don't need great support. For every customer you lose, you pick up from somebody else's poor support. Apple, being more of a specific choice to begin with, has to keep those users that it wins over to begin with, because there's no endless pool of similar brands to churn with. Plus their higher margins gives them the budget for better support.

The other makers aren't stupid, they simply recognize that without a way to distinguish their products from anyone else's, they have to race to the bottom to compete, which doesn't leave a lot of money for good support. There's not a lot of room for many Apples, and carving out a niche is hard work.

----------

They aren't terribly relevant when it comes to tech matters, to be sure. Their computer, tablet, and smart phone reviews have always been pretty worthless and filled with ignorance. Lucky we have numerous specialized sources for that kind of information.

When it comes to consumer satisfaction surveys, they do know their stuff, though. They've been doing it a long time and have excellent methodology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.