Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have a MBP15 that is using full disk encryption (Checkpoint FDE). This is mandatory due to the nature of my business.

With that my backup needs to be encrypted but not necessarily bootable. If I have a disaster, I would just put a new hard drive in, reload Snow Leopard, then CCC, then start restoring (I think)

So I have an external hard drive and used True Crypt to create a container on the drive.

I first did a full full backup to that True Crypt container. Now I want to update or at least make sure any new files I've got on there, or modified ones, are now on the backup.

Do I just select as the source the entire hard drive again and then just select incremental? Seems easy, almost too easy which is why I am asking the question.

I did just that and the folders look the same inside the True Crypt container. I watched the progress and saw some stuff get copied over. I thought it was going to make a new folder called /Incremental Backup date such and such.

Bottom line is I want 99.99% assurance I'm doing this backup thing the right way so in case the time comes, I don't have a heart attack because I messed something up.

Any insight or advice would be very appreciated.

Matt

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
First off, I'm by no means an expert on Carbon Copy Cloner, and before your message had never heard of True Crypt. With that out of the way, I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my internal hard drive to a partition on an external hard drive. Each night I do an "Incremental backup of selected items" to that external hard drives partition. I have everything selected on my internal hard drive for "Items to be copied". On the few occasions that I've needed something off my clone on the external hard drive partition it's always been there.

You may get a more conclusive answer from the people over on the Bombich Software Forums.

HTH

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The "incremental backups" get placed into a folder starting with _CCC_datetime onto the destination drive. Only files that have been modified or deleted get placed in here. I used CCC for a few years this way. Now I just use rsync because CCC dropped support for file systems other than HFS and I have some FAT drives that need backing up. CCC is built on top of rsync anyways.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
The "incremental backups" get placed into a folder starting with _CCC_datetime onto the destination drive. Only files that have been modified or deleted get placed in here. I used CCC for a few years this way. Now I just use rsync because CCC dropped support for file systems other than HFS and I have some FAT drives that need backing up. CCC is built on top of rsync anyways.

AFAIK, that only applies if you have the "Delete items that don't exist on the source" checked and the "Archive modified and deleted items" sub-option checked. If you don't have those option(s) checked then modified and deleted items are kept as part of newer clones which are part of the original base clone. I hope that makes sense.

VENUSPHILLIPS

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2013
CC BACKING UP True Crypted Changed files

AFAIK, that only applies if you have the "Delete items that don't exist on the source" checked and the "Archive modified and deleted items" sub-option checked. If you don't have those option(s) checked then modified and deleted items are kept as part of newer clones which are part of the original base clone. I hope that makes sense.

Hi DewGuy,
Your quote was help full but it raised a question for me, I have an external hard drive and use CC to back up my entire Mac book Hard drive, I have an encrypted Volume in my Hard drive and keep sensitive data in it and that data gets changed in a daily basis, in order for CC to back up my changed files inside the True Crypted partition in my hard drive to my external hard drive, do I need to tick those options you mention above on CC preferences? (Hope am not too confusing)

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Hi DewGuy,
Your quote was help full but it raised a question for me, I have an external hard drive and use CC to back up my entire Mac book Hard drive, I have an encrypted Volume in my Hard drive and keep sensitive data in it and that data gets changed in a daily basis, in order for CC to back up my changed files inside the True Crypted partition in my hard drive to my external hard drive, do I need to tick those options you mention above on CC preferences? (Hope am not too confusing)

I don't have any experience cloning TrueCrypted partitions (or partitions for that matter) so I don't know if CCC will even work in your case. Maybe you can find the answer on the developer's site http://www.bombich.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.