Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'd like to have all of this just work over bluetooth. I see no reason why it couldn't, with 4.0, and perhaps even 3.0. Sure, allow the person to charge the phone in the car if need be too.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Id rather have something like android installed on all the cars so you could download whatever apps you wanted and people could make apps to link to ios and other smart phones.

Then you'll need to trade that car in for a new one in six months so that you can have those new features you've been waiting for. Hey maybe dealers will offer special android leases on select models :p:p

MUrhino

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
People are missing the point...

Who cares about the image above...it's a render of what "could be", but BMW won't let a cradle visible like that ruin their design. I would expect full integration with the iDrive systems.

Overall, it's about time they started this. Why pay a dealer $$$ to update your Nav database with a new DVD when you can get more reliable maps (yes, even from Apple Maps), than any car manufacturer. Current BMWs already have facebook integration without the need for a dock, so there's no reason Maps couldn't be run via bluetooth or an App, but hopefully they will come up with a better solution.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Something like this with Bluetooth and I'm all set:

SS_animation.jpg

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
This seems like the logical evolution of in-car electronics. There isn't a single good in-car navigation/entertainment system, and since companies and reviewers like to compare how good their newest system is to the iOS experience, why not just put an iOS device in there? No need for a dedicated device, just design a dash to allow a nice place to put your phone and have it drive the main display that's already present.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Be careful with "hands free" devices. A new study says they're no safer than manual use.

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/lifestyle/study-hands-free-texting-more-dangerous-than-manual-texting

It's just one study though, we'll have to see how this plays out. But I can see how hands free devices give someone a false sense of safety.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
That's cute, Apple. Some of us have had car integrated GPS nav, phone and iPod since forever.

TIIKeHA.jpg

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I gladly welcome more and more tech integration into cars!.. And by the time I finish uni and can finally afford a new car hopefully deeper integration will be available and all the bugs worked out :)

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Be careful with "hands free" devices. A new study says they're no safer than manual use.

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/lifestyle/study-hands-free-texting-more-dangerous-than-manual-texting

It's just one study though, we'll have to see how this plays out. But I can see how hands free devices give someone a false sense of safety.

Hands-free TEXTING. Because you still have to look at the screen because egg freckles, before you send, except now you feel safer.

You know what's safer yet? Use this amazing feature that's combines real time, peer to peer, full duplex voice to voice chat with a handsfree device. I shall call it "far voicer"!

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Hands-free TEXTING. Because you still have to look at the screen because egg freckles, before you send, except now you feel safer.

But that's the mechanism behind most hands-free interactions. You give the voice command, but you then need to validate what you said. This is usually via visual feedback. And that's when you take your eyes off the road.

Hands free is not the panacea people make it out to be. And if Apple promotes it or enables it, they are the ones who are going to have to be responsible for its effects because people have no common sense. There's going to be people who engage in it because "Apple developed if it to be used while driving". It's like trying to market a "safer" cigarette. It's still not safe.

Either Apple truly innovates a hands-free, eyes-free technology, or they're better off telling people to stop mucking around with crap and just drive.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
But that's the mechanism behind most hands-free interactions. You give the voice command, but you then need to validate what you said. This is usually via visual feedback. And that's when you take your eyes off the road.

That's what I said.

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
In particular, Apple is looking at ways to integrate Maps and Siri with the built-in displays increasingly found in cars.

You mean like Mirrorlink? Apple is the only smartphone manufacturer not on board with the mirrorlink consortium. Basically all car manufacturers are also onboard. Apple likes to be difficult.
Mirrorlink is already out there and is in some new cars from toyota etc. Apps go through a "road legal" approval process for each country. Just plug the USB cable into the phone and the road legal apps from the phone are displayed on the car display and integrated with the steering/dash controls.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I wish! The thing even drops my device while connected via USB! It works with bluetooth fairly well. Anytime I the vehicle on or off it completely drops all connections and I have to reconnect manually. How new is the update you downloaded?

Perhaps it does have something to do with running WinPhone 8.

I bet a stock Apple system would be the same with an iPhone.

The latest update came out in March (I think). But mine has worked flawlessly since I bought it last April. Maybe it is the fact that I have a WinPhone 8. Although when i bought the car i was running WebOS and it worked just fine too.

Everyone in my family has Win phones (no iPhones) so I can't compare. Check out the update and good luck. Sync is my fav thing about my Edge. I hope you get it sorted.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
You know what's safer yet? Use this amazing feature that's combines real time, peer to peer, full duplex voice to voice chat with a handsfree device. I shall call it "far voicer"!

I see what you invented there. You should far voice me later to discuss your new salary and benefits!

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
This is just ugly.
No tasteful person wants to see a 500 bucks phone sitting in the middle of a 50 000+ dollars car !
Morevoer the option for GPS and Media Device is over 5000$ in this car, don't need a cheap gizmodo to improve it !

Seriously? All you got out of this story is that this (looks photoshopped) picture has a phone put in the wrong place in the car?

Yes.
Seriously.

----------

This is just ugly.
No tasteful person wants to see a 500 bucks phone sitting in the middle of a 50 000+ dollars car !
Morevoer the option for GPS and Media Device is over 5000$ in this car, don't need a cheap gizmodo to improve it !
Totally disagree. Modern smartphones are way more advanced than on-board car nav and sync systems. And far cheaper. I hope this kind of integration replaces on-board systems.

Totally disagree.
What make, model and year of car have you got ?
Maybe you should think of buying a modern car... of course it's takes real money to be premium, while an iphone which is indeed cheap will make people think they're premium while they're not.

Last edited:

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The fact that it remained unchanged for as long as it did is what amazed me.

I disagree with the notion that many seem to have that Apple changed this connection so they could sell more accessories.

I agree - they've cocked up the licensing situation so much there aren't any accessories to sell, six months later. Still no good docks. Still no other hardware. Additional battery market is still in it's infancy with poorer products than historical.

Apple took the massive ecosystem advantage they had and handed it over lock stock and barrel to Android. It was the most moronic thing Apple has ever done.

Apple wanted to make more money out of it, they've just done it ineptly.

The switch was necessary, came at the right time, and is quite clearly a better connector.

It's delivered no improvements, increased costs massively, made video connections worse, dumped types of output and made removing handsets from a dock more clumsy and prone to damage.

It's objectively a worse connector.

They've got to move forward at some point. The old dock connector was far too large at came at the expense of not being able to have the headphone jack and improved speak/microphone ports on the bottom of the phone.

Yet more benefits to the old connector...

(Or at least it would be if it wasn't nonsense, given the iPod Touch had the thirty pin connector at the bottom of the phone as well as the headphone port for years.)

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Others not.

What exactly is your point, if you have one?

Obviously, if Apple wants to be Apple about this, not an "also ran", they'll have to bring something really damn amazing to the table here.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I don't understand why the iphone is on a cradle and the BMW's navigation screen is right above it since I know that newer BMW's have an iPhone dock that is integrated into the arm rest. Discreet and clean. In addtion, the dock allows for integration of Bluetooth, and audio via the BMW Link Application.

I have a '04 ZHP and my iPhone 4 is kept in my bag or glove box hidden from view and without the need of an ugly cradle (my automobile came with Bluetooth and Navigation).

That cradle really undermind's the clean dashboard.

Because its an advert to show iPhone and BMW - if there was no iPhone in it anywhere, it wouldn't be a very good advert would it. Its not a real world implementation!

Bag302

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
That's cute, Apple. Some of us have had car integrated GPS nav, phone and iPod since forever.

auto makers should be integrating ipad minis in their dashboards instead of offering navigation in new cars.

Just put an LTE mini where a normal car's nav screen is. You then have:
Navigation
Pandora
youtube
safari
yelp
itunes
anything you want at the driver's fingertip.

It would be better, cheaper and more versatile than the current audio / video solutions currently offered by automakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.