Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Does yahoo now officially support imap via the mail ap on a mac rather than just on a mobile device? If so does it work okay and do you need yahoo mail plus or will the free one work?

If i recall correctly it only used to work on mobile devices and you had to use some work around to get it to work on a desktop. Is this still the case?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Does yahoo now officially support imap via the mail ap on a mac rather than just on a mobile device? If so does it work okay and do you need yahoo mail plus or will the free one work?

If i recall correctly it only used to work on mobile devices and you had to use some work around to get it to work on a desktop. Is this still the case?

I have yahoo IMAP in Apple Mail, it works well and I do not have Yahoo plus.

BUT, long time ago I paid for Yahoo something plus to get it to work in a mail program, I canceled after 2 years or so but it still allowed the same access????
So, that might still be the case for me although unlikely.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for the reply very much appreciated

. Are there any tips for setup to make the folders, inbox, sent emails sync without any issues. I am presuming that it is as reliable as gmai / icloud l in terms of syncing etc (I have never had any issues with gmail any the folders / tags work fine) in mail app and website.

Where do I find the information to put into mail to set up - incoming / outgoing servers etc?

Many thanks

Macgrl

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I have Yahoo Plus and it works miserably with my Mac mail app. Mail arrives much faster on my iPhone and on the web than in the mail app, and some mail I send from the phone does not end up on the Mac. At times it works, at times it doesn't, but the problem now is I don't trust it. I do not understand how it works so well on the iPhone and so poorly with the Mac mail app. Exact same setup. It seems I remember at some point that Yahoo supports IMAP for mobile devices but NOT for desktops and that would be my observation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.