Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
So doing this in pictures is relatively easy

xdw2zs.png

how would I easily do something similar to drab looking video?

any specific filters in premier or final cut pro that would really make video come to life and colors pop?

Last edited:

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Have a look at the software available in FCP.......you did not state what version you are using or would like too.
Certain Plug Ins would do that effect in FCP-X

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I wouldnt mind knowing how to do this as well TBH. Thats a dramatic transformation there!

Are there any specific filters or affects available? I tend to buy some effects from FCPeffects.com - maybe they have something?

MacBookProzak

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
So doing this in pictures is relatively easy

how would I easily do something similar to drab looking video?

any specific filters in premier or final cut pro that would really make video come to life and colors pop?

What you really want to try first is to punch up the saturation, yet FCPX does have some built in filters that may assist you.

Here is a good video that may show you how to get the results you are looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukOitEHPQYU

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
you probably don't need any special plugins for this kind of oversaturated look - the built in color correction tools in premiere or fcp should do just fine.

push up the saturation, increase contrast (push your blacks down and your whites up, don't use a "contrast" filter, if you can help it) and you're probably more than halfway there.

for more fine-control learn to read your video-scopes.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
If you want other software that specializes in color grading look up DaVinci Resolve Lite

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I know this thread is a little old, but just in case the OP, or anyone else, still has an interest in this, there is a HDR Filter over on FCPEffects for Final Cut Pro that I've found to be brilliant at getting nicer colours, like that in the first post.....
I personally use a number of the plugins from the below site and never had any issues. Makes editing so much smoother and easier!

FCPEffects.com

hsilver

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
New York
FCP7 or FCPX CC

Once you've boosted overall saturation in color correction and played with other overall correction, in FCPX you can create a color mask and eyedropper the color you want to effect. In this case you'd create a 2nd color correction and select the ground and broaden the effect so the house is included and boost the orange. Then you'd create another color correction and create a color mask with the eyedropper on the sky area and boost the blue.

In FCP7 there is an arrow to click on at bottom of 3 Way Color Correction to open secondary color correction. You'd have to create 3 separate color effects to do same as above –one for overall and 2 for each of the 2 secondary color corrections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.