Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

kindle_app_icon.jpg
Amazon has updated its Kindle app for iOS to provide a number of new features for users who are visually impaired. Most notably, the app now incorporates Apple's VoiceOver technology to implement read aloud capabilities for more than 1.8 million Kindle Store offerings.

The update also provides improved navigation and search tools and features like X-Ray, End Actions, sharing, highlighting, and bookmarking have become more accessible.
-Accessibility features make it easier for blind and visually impaired customers to navigate their Kindle libraries, read & interact with books, and more. Enable VoiceOver in your device settings to begin.

-Easily rate and review books by accessing 'Before you go...' directly from The 'Go to' menu

-Enhancements to 'Before you go...' including the ability to download a free sample and email yourself a reminder about recommended books.

-Additional Font Selection for Japan - Hiragino Mincho ProN (Serif)

-Bug Fixes/Stability improvements
Kindle is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Kindle App for iOS Updated with New Accessibility Features

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Now that there's VoiceOver, I'll actually "read."

No you won't. :D VoiceOver is a pain to deal with. As someone with poor vision, it's completely useless for me due to it making the device a complete nightmare to use. Your vision would have to be really, really, really impaired to get any benefit.

I would have rather them set the option in the actual app, like they have on the Kindle Keyboard. But oh well, the audiobooks are mostly discounted when you buy the Kindle Editions, so I can't really complain.

Last edited:

NeroAZ

Suspended
Jun 23, 2009
Phoenx, AZ
I'm not visually impaired, and i think audible would be a better choice. I like it myself during my drives to and from work.

reltm

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Does anyone have an easy way to delete personal documents from the cloud? Instapaper does a wonderful job if sending articles to my Kindle, but after a few weeks (let alone months or years!) it's a pain to use the web interface at amazon to delete them. I keep hoping the iOS app will let us do this with a simple swipe, but alas....

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Does anyone have an easy way to delete personal documents from the cloud? Instapaper does a wonderful job if sending articles to my Kindle, but after a few weeks (let alone months or years!) it's a pain to use the web interface at amazon to delete them. I keep hoping the iOS app will let us do this with a simple swipe, but alas....

To my knowledge, you can't.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Cool!

...now where's the Mac App Store update, you bastards! I want to be able to read on my rMBP without wanting to stab myself in the eye.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.