Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mr_blood_drive_2013.jpg
MacRumors is pleased to announce the Fourth Annual MacRumors Blood Drive, running for the month of May 2013. Our goal is to increase the number of life-saving donations in real-world communities by encouraging everyone in our online community to step forward. While most blood drives are specific to a geographic location and a specific collection center, our blood drive is online and worldwide.

We ask that you:

1. Donate blood or platelets at any hospital or other donation center near you. Join the bone marrow registry in your country. Sign up for the organ donor registry in your state, province, or country.

2. Post in the MacRumors 2013 Blood Drive! thread. Show us your bandage/plaster after donating blood or tell us your story of registering as a bone marrow or organ donor. Let us thank you and help us thank other users who donate and/or register.

3. Share the message with other people you know.

For details see the MacRumors 2013 Blood Drive! thread.

Why donate blood or platelets?

Donated blood and platelets save the lives of people recovering from accidents, undergoing surgery, or struck by illness. These are people in your own neighborhoods who need your help to recover. Donated blood and platelets are needed every 2 seconds, not just when calamities such as hurricanes and earthquakes occur. An hour of your time could save up to 3 lives.

Why join the bone marrow registry?

With a simple cheek swab you are volunteering to donate stem cells or bone marrow if you turn out to match someone dying from a disease like leukemia. You might be the only person who matches them and can save their life.

Why join the organ donor registry?

Thousands of people die every year while waiting for organ transplants. Your donation of organs when your own life ends could save the lives of as many as 8 people.

The lives you save may belong to your friends, neighbors, relatives, or complete strangers. Someday you may receive the same generosity from others. A number of MacRumors members have already told us that the life of a loved one, or their own life, was saved by the donations of strangers. There's no gift more precious than the gift of life.

mr_blood_drive_2013_donor.jpg
This year's first blood donor: forum member "ComeAgain?"
Donor eligibility requirements vary by country. We provide links and general information in our guides to Blood and Platelet Donation and Organ, Tissue, and Bone Marrow Donation.

If you are eligible, please schedule a blood or platelet donation, register for the bone marrow registry, and register as an organ donor in the month of May. If you aren't eligible to donate blood, we still ask for your support in encouraging others to donate and thanking those who do, and we suggest that you check if you are eligible for the bone marrow and organ donor registries. If you think the blood donor eligibility rules in your country are unfair and discriminatory, speak up in the Blood donor eligibility discussion thread.

Apple has supported a number of health, relief, and charity efforts over the years, even though Steve Jobs was not known for personal philanthropy. See our new guide to Apple Support for Charity.

Article Link: MacRumors 2013 Blood Drive

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
You know... The best health care is bloodless or seeks to stop blood loss as a highest priority.

Renzatic

Suspended
You know... The best health care is bloodless or seeks to stop blood loss as a highest priority.

Well...yeah. Even mediocre healthcare prioritizes preventing blood loss due to severe trauma, but even the best in the world can't get an ambulance to the scene of an accident the moment it happens. If you've got a bunch of people involved in a particularly messy car crash that's resulted in a few deep wounds, you can't just vacuum up their old blood off the ground and put it back in them. You're gonna need a fresh supply immediately on hand.

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
Receiving platelets on a regular basis kept my mom alive for a couple of years after being diagnosed with a rare blood disease called myleofibrosis. She ultimately succumbed to the disease, but those blood and platelet transfusions were essential in helping her quality of life during her last years on this planet.

This stuff matters, and I always encourage folks to donate. When you stop to think about it, it really is crazy how something so simple and quick can impact the life of a total stranger in a positive light.

Kudos MacRumors.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Due to a genetic disease I'm not allowed to donate blood or marrow myself but I do commend the effort and hope that many take this opportunity to help save lives.

----------

Can gay people donate yet?

Where I'm from, no, and it's really ridiculous that they can't. As long as they are healthy I don't understand why not.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Due to a genetic disease I'm not allowed to donate blood or marrow myself but I do commend the effort and hope that many take this opportunity to help save lives.

----------

Where I'm from, no, and it's really ridiculous that they can't. As long as they are healthy I don't understand why not.

Wow, where do you live, Iran?

I've never donated blood before. Can someone give me a quick rundown of the side effects?

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I can't donate blood either as I'm on a load of meds (immunosuppressants mostly) that would mess with it, but I'm really happy to see this getting publicity.

Props to anyone who donates.

Renzatic

Suspended
I've never donated blood before. Can someone give me a quick rundown of the side effects?

It varies from person to person. Some people aren't bothered by it at all, while others feel a little sick and woozy for a little while afterwards. Usually they tell you not to do anything that could potentially dehydrate you for about 24 hours, give you cookie and a coke, and send you on your way.

I got a tiny bit woozy after my first donation, but it went away after 10 minutes or so. The second time didn't bother me at all.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Wow, where do you live, Iran?

Try the United States. If you're gay and a virgin, no problem but they will turn you away if you are male and have had sex with another man since 1977.

As far as what happens. It might be different depending where you are but the four times I've done it the process has been:

1) Get sample blood taken: They just give you a quick jab in the finger (honestly the most painful part of the process) and take a bit of blood out to be used for testing.
2) Fill Out Questionnaire: It's a big list of questions ranging from "Do you feel well today" through weird stuff like "Have you ever handled primate feces." Generally every answer except the above mentioned feeling well question is no: at least for me.
3) Nurse Station: The last few questions you get are done in person with a nurse, just slightly more private stuff, nothing major. She also takes your blood pressure and temperature.
4) Donation: Assuming everything is good to go you get hooked up to the machine and donate. Process takes, on average, 8 minutes. Longest one I've had was 10. Just keep moving your hand every once in awhile to keep the blood flowing and it's not bad at all.
5) Cookies: Best name for this step I could think you. After you donate you sit down for 10-30 minutes and basically just eat cookies / drink juice to get your blood sugar back up.

As far as side effects go there's not much. Some people experience a bit of bruising where the needle went in but personally I've never noticed any. You may feel a bit light-headed after but step 5 above fixes that pretty quick. Most of the time after I donate I'm fine to drive home within half an hour without feeling dizzy or anything. Just make sure not to drink any alcohol for at least 24 hours. They take enough blood out that even 1 beer will hit you a lot harder than it normally would.

Probably a bit longer of a post than you were looking for but having a quick rundown of the process is good for inexperienced people.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Huh! My friend is a Jehoviahs Witness, and he just had quite a talk about donating blood. Apparently it's a mortal sin, because some essence of your spirit is in your blood, and certain ancient scriptures say it should not be tampered with. ...also, there are many examples of people who received blood from someone else and were never the same afterward, and took on negative personality traits of the donor. ! The things I never knew... & medical science either...

I'm off to get some cookies with the rest of you sinners!

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Try the United States. If you're gay and a virgin, no problem but they will turn you away if you are male and have had sex with another man since 1977.

As far as what happens. It might be different depending where you are but the four times I've done it the process has been:

1) Get sample blood taken: They just give you a quick jab in the finger (honestly the most painful part of the process) and take a bit of blood out to be used for testing.
2) Fill Out Questionnaire: It's a big list of questions ranging from "Do you feel well today" through weird stuff like "Have you ever handled primate feces." Generally every answer except the above mentioned feeling well question is no: at least for me.
3) Nurse Station: The last few questions you get are done in person with a nurse, just slightly more private stuff, nothing major. She also takes your blood pressure and temperature.
4) Donation: Assuming everything is good to go you get hooked up to the machine and donate. Process takes, on average, 8 minutes. Longest one I've had was 10. Just keep moving your hand every once in awhile to keep the blood flowing and it's not bad at all.
5) Cookies: Best name for this step I could think you. After you donate you sit down for 10-30 minutes and basically just eat cookies / drink juice to get your blood sugar back up.

As far as side effects go there's not much. Some people experience a bit of bruising where the needle went in but personally I've never noticed any. You may feel a bit light-headed after but step 5 above fixes that pretty quick. Most of the time after I donate I'm fine to drive home within half an hour without feeling dizzy or anything. Just make sure not to drink any alcohol for at least 24 hours. They take enough blood out that even 1 beer will hit you a lot harder than it normally would.

Probably a bit longer of a post than you were looking for but having a quick rundown of the process is good for inexperienced people.

No, it was great, thank you. And to the guy above.

ironpw

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
I just did mine this past monday. 3 units of platelets

only proof I have is my foursquare check in and facebook post and the receipt tracking barcode the Red Cross gives each donor after the platelet donation. does that count?

themachugger

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Let me ask if one of my straight, frat boy friends who has drunken bareback sex with girls tens of dozens of times a year can donate for me. I am unfortunately gay, only have safe sex and remain STD free therefore I don't qualify.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
only proof I have is my foursquare check in and facebook post and the receipt tracking barcode the Red Cross gives each donor after the platelet donation. does that count?
Definitely. You're a veteran of last year's drive too. Please post about your platelet donation in the MacRumors 2013 Blood Drive! thread.

Although we tally the donations people post about, we salute all donors out there and hope that we can bring additional attention to the subject. Most people are eligible to donate but only approximately 3% to 4% of the population chooses to donate blood. We want to see that percentage increase!

kartikthapar

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2013
Baltimore
Why doesn't MacRumors invest in something like this? Delegate work to people in different states/cities and contribute in a much more significant way.

Asking people to post their pics, surely encourages people; no doubts about that. But I would suggest doing much more than that.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Do I regenerate blood? o_O don't want to run out of blood.
I am too young anyway, but I am curious about it.

And I read this gay thing^^ it's seriously hilarious :D
How do they know you are gay, just don't tell them! :confused:

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Do I regenerate blood? o_O don't want to run out of blood.
I am too young anyway, but I am curious about it.

Yes. Assuming you don' t have a blood disease, you will make more blood. People can give blood every six months with no problems.

And I read this gay thing^^ it's seriously hilarious :D
How do they know you are gay, just don't tell them! :confused:

That's what I would do.

...also, there are many examples of people who received blood from someone else and were never the same afterward, and took on negative personality traits of the donor. ! The things I never knew... & medical science either...

I think your friend is confusing reality with a Twilight Zone episode. Either that or the "examples" conveniently ignored the head trauma that may have made them "never the same afterward" and not the blood transfusion.

Nokaoi1959

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013
Hawaii
Did all three

I just gave my 83rd pint on Monday, the 29th. Don't have a bandage to show, but I'll show the new donation pins I got from the Blood Bank of Hawaii, gallons 1 - 6.

So long ago I can't remember when, I signed up for both the Bone Marrow Registry and as an organ donor. Count me in on your blood drive!

And, thanks for spreading the good word about donations. A minority of people donate most of the blood. If more new donors got started and became lifelong donors, many lives could be saved. Every time I give, it feels great because that pint could save someone's life. One day, it may be your own or a loved one's life at stake. It may hurt a little, but it'll feel so good afterwards.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 177
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.