Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Under the direction of Jony Ive, who took charge of Apple's user interface teams last October, iOS 7's redesign is said to be "flatter" with fewer skeuomorphic design cues and an interface that focuses on simplicity.

Skeuomorphism, a real-world design concept that was favored by former Apple senior vice president of iOS software Scott Forstall, is found in many of Apple's default iOS apps. For example, apps like Notes and Find My Friends both feature leather design accents and Game Center offers up a felt pool table texture. These are all elements that are expected to be removed in iOS 7, as AllThingsD points out in a new report covering the design changes.

skeuomorphism.jpg
With Scott Forstall -- an advocate for flashy, skeuomorphic design and its stitched-leather and faux wood grain flourishes -- now gone from Apple, and Ive in an expanded role, the current and former Apple employees I've spoken to say iOS 7 was destined for a new coat of paint. As one said, "Sounds like a much-needed 'deForstallization.'"
As noted by AllThingsD, Apple's iOS has not had a serious design overhaul since the original iPhone was released in 2007, making it long overdue for an update.
If the company has good ideas for design tweaks, it's about time it implemented them. With new mobile operating systems like BlackBerry 10 and Windows Phone proving that there's plenty of room left for innovation in the market, Apple can ill afford even the risk of the perception that iOS might be getting dusty.

Apple's challenge, then, is to overhaul the look and feel of the OS while retaining the intuitiveness that's made it so popular.
According to a report from Bloomberg earlier today, Apple has been forced to delay its internal timelines for iOS 7, but the company's engineers are said to be working overtime to get a preview ready for the upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference in June. Multiple sources have indicated that Apple is pulling engineers from OS X 10.9 to help the company stay on schedule with iOS 7.

Article Link: Apple Engineers Working Overtime on iOS 7's 'DeForstallization'

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
For the love of God, hire more damn engineers and stop being so greedy with your damn cash reserves.

So annoying.

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
To be honest I don't see what the big deal over getting rid of this 'skeuomorphism' is. I don't mind it. They can make other changes to make iOS 7 radically different.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I'm actually starting to get a little excited about an iOS release :) First time that's happened in a very *long* time!!

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
For the love of God, hire more damn engineers and stop being so greedy with your damn cash reserves.

So annoying.

This is called Tim Cook in charge:

- Listen to anal-ysts and follow them instead of leading on your own;
- Stop innovating;
- Turn a natural growth stock into Nestlé/Microsoft;
- issue debt when no debt is needed.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I just hope it's not boring looking like "Google Now" for iOS. Call me crazy but some of those skeuowhajimacallit actually gives it charm in certain cases. Not everything works with it of course, and some are damn right ugly. But just playing with Google app, I would hate iOS to have that clinical feel.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I hope they keep the Forstall version "just in case."

Forstall was pushed out because he emulated the behavior and detail oriented meme of Jobs, but that was less tolerated in anybody but Jobs. It was political. Jobs hired/promoted Forstall at NeXT. NeXT saved Apple.

Last edited:

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I'm hoping it has a more monochromatic look, like the original iPod or Kindles, with black text on white background.

Hate the gaudy colors (on black background) of Windows 8 & Android.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I am looking forward to a Forstalless iOS. I really hated game centre and all the bling. However what is more importance is that they overhaul the multitasking / app switching and get rid of the rows of icons looks, bring and in something fresh with widgets and a far better way of navigating the myriad of settings that iOS has such as a quicker way of turning off wifi!

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I hope they write a few more articles like this one that are exactly the same as the other ones they have posted.

Can't anyone find any new Mac Pro parts?

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I've spoken to Ive about Ive's ivory ivies while Ive had an ivied IV stuck in Ive's wrist.

Last edited:

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
So iOS is going to look bland and boring. Awesome.

If you are feeling uplifted by skeumorphic interfaces, you need to enrichen your life.

I for one think that the best interface is no interface. I'm not here to mess around with turning App Store bookshelves or whatever. I'm not here to manipulate the operating system in the first place. I'm here to use its apps. The rest? The less of it, the better.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
This is called Tim Cook in charge:

- Listen to anal-ysts and follow them instead of leading on your own;
- Stop innovating;
- Turn a natural growth stock into Nestlé/Microsoft;
- issue debt when no debt is needed.

Tim Cook is a pathetic fool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.