Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
MSFT isn't actually a bad investment. The dividend is actually pretty good. And W8 is not as bad as people make it out to be. Can't help people are so stupid they can't understand a new interface that is easy to use with a mouse or touchscreen. Anyway, W8 will have a boot to desktop mode in the next patch/update to silence those critics.

BTW MSFT is up about 23% YTD...not bad if you bought near the bottom.

Yes, but I honestly thought Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 were going to usurp much of Android's market share and squeeze Google. I thought this hinged on an awesome touch version of MS Office. I have heard rumors that there is still such a version of Office coming, but the fact that the Surface RT needed a desktop just so it could run Office made me lose faith in Microsoft's ability or desire to redesign Office for touch. Despite its lack of market share and some power features, iWork provides a far better touch interface on iPad than Office does on Surface. I thought MS was going to show Apple how an Office app should be done, but instead they gave users "touch mode" which just meant bigger buttons and more spacing between them.

As far as Windows 8 goes, its not the usability that matters to me but the adoption rate. Right now, PCs are in decline and Windows 8 is riding that wave since tablet sales for Windows have not really picked up yet (largely I think due to the lack of a killer touch version of Office).

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
MSFT isn't actually a bad investment. The dividend is actually pretty good. And W8 is not as bad as people make it out to be. Can't help people are so stupid they can't understand a new interface that is easy to use with a mouse or touchscreen. Anyway, W8 will have a boot to desktop mode in the next patch/update to silence those critics.

BTW MSFT is up about 23% YTD...not bad if you bought near the bottom.

I actually sold AAPL at $485 before it took that big dump, and transferred it over to MSFT when it was below $27.

Right now, MSFT is near its 52 week high. AAPL is near its 52 week low.

MSFT is a good stock. It's never gonna double its market cap like AAPL could, but MSFT has some major long-term return drivers - tablet/PC convergence (which it's pioneering and INTC is also pushing for), XBox 720, and WP8 becoming that 3rd mobile OS (which NOK is also pushing for).

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Right now, MSFT is near its 52 week high. AAPL is near its 52 week low.

MSFT is a good stock. It's never gonna double its market cap like AAPL could, but MSFT has some major long-term return drivers - tablet/PC convergence (which it's pioneering and INTC is also pushing for), XBox 720, and WP8 becoming that 3rd mobile OS (which NOK is also pushing for).

There's no way I would ever consider buying stock in a company sitting at a 52 week high. It's too late to invest. I did buy another 50 shares of AAPL last week. I only buy low and sell high.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just curious... is there any other company you'd feel comfortable putting a lot of money into?

It seems like the consumer electronics market is a fickle market.

I sold AAPL at 675, wish some of those shared I'd purchased sooner at a lower price, but I still netted for my son's future about a year's worth of take-home pay. GOOG seems to be doing really well right now, wouldn't be an awful place to drop some $.

Jedi Master

macrumors regular
Buy Dell

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

With Apple's stock price at its lowest levels since 2011, Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov -- one of the main investors behind the Digital Sky Technologies investment group -- has purchased $100 million of Apple stock, reports Bloomberg.

Usmanov is estimated to be Russia's richest man with a fortune worth $19.8 billion.

Article Link: Russian Billionaire Buys $100 Million in Apple Stock

He should Dell

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
There's no way I would ever consider buying stock in a company sitting at a 52 week high. It's too late to invest. I did buy another 50 shares of AAPL last week. I only buy low and sell high.

The infallible stock market system at work. You heard it first here folks. Patent pending.

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
There's no way I would ever consider buying stock in a company sitting at a 52 week high.

Why? A company at a 52-week high can still be at an excellent value point. For example, you could have bought Priceline at a 52 week high 5 years ago and today would be looking at a 10 bagger. My prediction is right now you could probably do the same thing with Linked In. Buy it at a 52 week high today and forget about it for 5 years and then enjoy the gains.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Should have invested 1 Billion. Now we're talking :cool:

Jumped about 10 points today. Nice :apple:

He invested however much was right for him. That it went up doesn't mean he went in too light.

Good move. That's a lot of money invested in one company. :eek:

It sounds like a big number, but it's probably a small fraction of his total investments.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
in a few month this news item will be Russian Billionaire Dumps $70 million in apple stock after massive losses... Unless this iWatch thing really is a "must have" (And i doubt that, i haven't worn a watch since my phone told the time, it was a nokia 3310)

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Don't be fooled, he just wants you to dig up his garden for free, so he can plant potatoes ;)

That's an old joke. For those who haven't heard it, it goes like this:

Freddie the Fish is a wiseguy serving 10 years for being the wheelman in an armed robbery. He gets a letter from his father telling him how hard things are on the family farm, and that the tractor has broken down, so he can't plow the back acres.

Freddie writes his father back saying, "My God, Dad, whatever you do don't dig up that acre! Just trust me. You don't want to do that."

A couple of weeks goes by and Freddie gets another letter from his Dad saying that out of the blue more FBI agents than he could count came by with a warrant and started digging all over the back acres. After spending hours, the lead FBI agent said, "Sorry for troubling you," and they all left. He closed asking his son, "So... what should I do?"

Freddie wrote back, "Go ahead and plant now. You're welcome."

raythemoneyman

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
Tucson, Az. USA Earth
Has Apple Lost Its Way?

Most people here are so connected to Apple products emotionally that investing in Apple can be tough to do with a clear mind. In a recent Bloomberg news poll, 71% of investors believe Apple has become less innovative.

Has Apple lost its way? Check out our short five minute video, we will be examining Apple stock (NASDAQ:AAPL) and investigating what drives the price. We’ll look to see what pushed Apple’s stock price over $700 and what caused Apple to crash below $400 in such a short period of time.

Watch "Has Apple Lost Its Way"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.