Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Renowned Apple journalist Jim Dalrymple has confirmed earlier reports that Apple has pulled engineers off OS X 10.9 in order to finish iOS 7 on time with a one word post:
NewImage39.png
Jim Dalrymple (right) with rock guitarist Slash
A report from AllThingsD earlier today said that Apple was in a repeat of the scenario from 2007 wherein the company pulled engineers off the development of OS X Leopard to work on the first iPhone.

Apple sources told ATD that it's "not as much of a fire drill" and that iOS 7 "will ship on time". Apple hasn't actually announced a ship date for iOS 7, so "on time" is subjective at this point. However, Bloomberg said earlier today that the public launch of the software was on schedule for "as soon as September".

Article Link: iOS 7 to Ship 'On Time' as OS X Engineers Pitch In

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Just as an unannounced product can't be late or delayed, it also can't be on time.

Also, iOS 9 is on time at this point.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
It would sure be nice if in return iOS engineers pitched in getting OS X 10.9 out.

How late will 10.9 be now? Will we see it in 2013?

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Slash is wearing a Chang beer shirt. I happen to also own a Chang beer shirt. I'm gonna go grab a guitar. I'll report back if there are any other similarities between us.

Elvin77

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
Yawn

In another hour we'll get another post on how 100 new features had to be stripped out to make sure iOS7 is on time. All of this back and forth it's late, it's not late, it's late...etc is just nonsense. Until something official comes out this is all a waste of time.:cool:

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
I'm not sure I get the relevance of Slash, or is that the only available picture of Dalrymple?

I'm expecting iOS 7 to be a much bigger change from iOS 6 than any of the incremental changes that have gone before. Maybe not in features, but definitely in user experience. It HAS to take a step up to fend off Android. But I have faith in Jony - this will tell us if he has the same look 'n feel magic touch with software that he does with hardware...

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Too bad Apple doesn't have the cash to hire additional engineers. :rolleyes:

(yes, I understand it takes time to get new employees up to speed and productive, so it wouldn't help right now; but they've had years to work out this particular issue)

Gah, beaten by 2 minutes. :(

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Jim is about as controlled of a leak as you can get, unlike all of the speculation the so-called "experts" put out.

Ah poop, once again didn't read the article and concentrated more on making a snide remark. Sorry :eek:

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
If only apple had enough money to hire more engineers :(

It's not always about money. You can not just hire 100 people off the street, even if they have an engineering degree. Even if enough qualified people were available (maybe there are, maybe not), it takes a while to fit them in and get them to do what you want to do. In addition there is often a Visa problem when the most qualified candidates are not american citizens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.