Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I have this mkv with .ass subs I made myself with Ageisub. The problem is when I use my go to app Handbreak to convert it into an mp4 the fade effect on the .ass subs gets dropped. Instead of fading they just disappear like regular subs.

I know I can do fade subs/tiles in iMovie, but I'd like to figure this out since I'm likely to come across other mkvs with styled subs (fades or whatever) that I haven't made myself and would like to know a good way to convert these while keeping the effects.

Ideas? Suggestions? I asked in another forum and they all mentioned Windows programs despite my saying I ran a Mac. Thus, I ask here.

Thanks in advance!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I have this mkv with .ass subs I made myself with Ageisub. The problem is when I use my go to app Handbreak to convert it into an mp4 the fade effect on the .ass subs gets dropped. Instead of fading they just disappear like regular subs.

I know I can do fade subs/tiles in iMovie, but I'd like to figure this out since I'm likely to come across other mkvs with styled subs (fades or whatever) that I haven't made myself and would like to know a good way to convert these while keeping the effects.

Ideas? Suggestions? I asked in another forum and they all mentioned Windows programs despite my saying I ran a Mac. Thus, I ask here.

Thanks in advance!

All you can do is burning the subs into the video stream. The MP4 container doesn't support SSA subs.

Are you sure you do need MP4's? Why not stick with the original MKV, where ASS subs are native? Do you need native Apple iOS / iTunes compatibility and the like?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
^^

As suggested, if you don't want the media to be available on an IOS or ATV device, then just retain the Matroska files and play / stream using mirroring via VLC ( free)

I have started doing this now, only using HB when I want a particular file on my iPad or ATV...I know they occupy space, but if you have an off Mac storage solution then you should be fine.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
^^

As suggested, if you don't want the media to be available on an IOS or ATV device, then just retain the Matroska files and play / stream using mirroring via VLC ( free)

BTW, on iOS, some third-party MKV players ( HD Player Pro, nPlayer) render ASS subs flawlessly, in addition to playing back MKV's in hardware, as long as they aren't Hi10p. (I've even written several articles on the matter; see for example https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1547504/ for more info. Note that, at the time of writing that article, nPlayer still didn't have ASS support. Now it has.)

BTW, XBMC also supports ASS flawlessly but I don't recommend that player any more - see my remarks at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1559304/ if interested.

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
^^

I have started doing this now, only using HB when I want a particular file on my iPad or ATV...I know they occupy space, but if you have an off Mac storage solution then you should be fine.

BTW, on iOS, some third-party MKV players ( HD Player Pro, nPlayer) render ASS subs flawlessly, in addition to playing back MKV's in hardware, as long as they aren't Hi10p. (I've even written several articles on the matter; see for example https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1547504/ for more info. Note that, at the time of writing that article, nPlayer still didn't have ASS support. Now it has.)

BTW, XBMC also supports ASS flawlessly but I don't recommend that player any more - see my remarks at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1559304/ if interested.

Thank you both for the feedback, but I'm not converting it to view on an iOS devices I agree that there are plenty of third-party apps for watching mkvs without converting. I have some of them on my phone.

The reason why I'm converting is to upload to tumblr/youtube. So converting from mkv is sort of needed. Thanks for the input though. ^^;;

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.