Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Great hardware, it'll be used by Apple eventually if there's a market.

Problem with Samsung much like Sony is they have fantastic hardware engineers but their software is way behind or dependent on outside sources. Almost seems like an afterthought.

They're also stuck in the sell em new hardware and little if any support for last years model.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
When this is an actual shipping product Apple have something to be worried about. Until then not so much.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
How are they in trouble? Apple doesn't make screens or any other technology that's in their devices... they just know when to use the right technologies to make the best devices. If flexible displays hit the market and are something worth using, you'll see it in iOS devices too.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Watch this apple better step up their game
http://youtu.be/N3E7fUynrZU

After looking at the video, I can't help but wonder what your getting excited about. As someone who has seen and used the previous Samsung offerings, which seem to stutter every time I pick them up. It is hard to get excited about Flex anything, when they can't seem to even support the products they are offering now.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Great hardware, it'll be used by Apple eventually if there's a market.

Problem with Samsung much like Sony is they have fantastic hardware engineers but their software is way behind or dependent on outside sources. Almost seems like an afterthought.

They're also stuck in the sell em new hardware and little if any support for last years model.

Agreed. In today's market, you need more than just great hardware. There must also be a software fabric and services and content to tie everything together. In this regard, Apple excels. Nothing alone can match the combined offerings of iCloud, iTunes, etc.

Aristotle once said the whole is greater than the sum of it parts. Apple is more than just iTunes or just iPhone or just iPad. It's everything that works together.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
Agreed. In today's market, you need more than just great hardware. There must also be a software fabric and services and content to tie everything together. In this regard, Apple excels. Nothing alone can match the combined offerings of iCloud, iTunes, etc.

Aristotle once said the whole is greater than the sum of it parts. Apple is more than just iTunes or just iPhone or just iPad. It's everything that works together.

I wish that was the case I think Apple is now way behind Google Cloud services, I have to manually make sure my iPad, iPhone and my Mac sync together properly even then it's not everything. With Chrome and Android it's only 1 sign in and they are all synced, I saw my friend setup his and I must admit I did wish mine did all that. I have to use Chrome now for browser syncing and WTF is up with not being able to sync mail rules!

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Ipad still have people choice for Tablet, of course. But i think people are starting to fall for those little s pen to use for drawing and note taking as well.

I dont think the problem with Samsung is the software part but its because they use so much PR budget that is almost double of what apple and htc combined. As result, the quality of their handset is low, built with cheap plastic. U know, i would prefer a glass back/front mediocre spec phone than a superb spec cover with all plastic.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I wish that was the case I think Apple is now way behind Google Cloud services, I have to manually make sure my iPad, iPhone and my Mac sync together properly even then it's not everything. With Chrome and Android it's only 1 sign in and they are all synced, I saw my friend setup his and I must admit I did wish mine did all that. I have to use Chrome now for browser syncing and WTF is up with not being able to sync mail rules!

Yea, there's definitely room for improvement on both. Google cloud services doesn't have anything like iTunes Match. But Google has more fine tune controls versus iCloud which is very invisible. And etc. This is good because Apple and Google are pressuring the other to do better.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
iPad had the benefit of being the first successful tablet, at some point Apple's competitors would find a combination of design, features and price that would effectively compete.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Get a clue. Apple has been doing R&D and design using flexible and curved displays for several years. This isn't new.

Here's betting Apple design team does okay in this area.

Regarding iPad, look at consumer preferences and wish lists...people want iPads as their first choice.

Apple has stronger competition but it doesn't mean they're in trouble.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Watch this apple better step up their game
http://youtu.be/N3E7fUynrZU
No, because these displays are bought by companies like Apple. It's not like Samsung developed this technology exclusively for themselves.

In fact, Samsung is really 'split up' in lots of small companies. The folks working on this display, may have no contact at all with the folks working on the Galaxy phones or tablets. The Galaxy folks have to buy these screens from the display folks - and they get little to no priority over other companies like Apple or HTC.

Also, what they show you in the video "phone to tablet" (one single device) and such, do not exist yet.

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011

Really?Enabled iCloud on my iPad and iPhone,everything synced except for apps obviously,messages,contacts,photos and safari.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Yea, there's definitely room for improvement on both. Google cloud services doesn't have anything like iTunes Match. But Google has more fine tune controls versus iCloud which is very invisible. And etc. This is good because Apple and Google are pressuring the other to do better.

I'm guessing you have never heard of google play. It was out before itunes match. I think it's alot better than itunes match in execution and the ability to take my music anywhere I go. I had a ton off issues with itunes match destroying my entire library. I had songs that I have never even owned added to my library.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
After looking at the video, I can't help but wonder what your getting excited about. As someone who has seen and used the previous Samsung offerings, which seem to stutter every time I pick them up. It is hard to get excited about Flex anything, when they can't seem to even support the products they are offering now.

If Samsung's crack at Android even remotely resembles the crappy Internet features on my TV, I can't believe people would actually choose a Galaxy. Thankfully I'm pretty sure the phones are more user friendly than my TV.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I meant to say it synced messages,contacts,photos and safari and did not sync apps.

oh right. :)

Well Apple does allow auto download on apps and some apps include iCloud sync. Needs to happen on more though. Especially games.

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
oh right. :)

Well Apple does allow auto download on apps and some apps include iCloud sync. Needs to happen on more though. Especially games.

Developers need to implement it but i think Apple was changing how the syncing works so not a lot of developers have done it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.