Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImpKali

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
I'm looking into buying one of the Apple branded Smart Covers for my iPad 2 in conjunction with a nice transparent shell. (I wanna show off this sexy beast!)

I have a protective case on it with a swivel cover attached, but I find that sometimes gets in the way and would like something removable. My first and foremost question is are they interchangeable? Do I need to buy one specifically made for the iPad 2 or are the ones that work with the 3rd and 4th gens compatible? I heard that the Retina display added a slight bit more thickness to the newer models.

Also, assuming I buy one, how sturdy is it as a stand in both modes, both propping it up and tilting it at a slight angle? Is it easy to tip over or knock down? When typing on it at an angle, will it stay folded up?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
In the portrait position (viewing videos and such) its stable enough not to be an issue.

In the folded typing position its very stable, it will not collapse on you if thats what you're thinking. The smart cover isn't one of the most successful and brilliant covers on the market for nothing.

cagcody

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
The Smart Cover is compatible with the iPad 2/3/4. When you use the cover to prop up the iPad in landscape viewing, it does its job at keeping it propped up. If you tap too hard, however, it will more than likely fall back, especially when you have a snap on case for the back. But that's just what I've found to be true when using mine.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
First off, I would post this thread in the iPad Accessories section of the forum. Might get more feedback that way. Coming from a person who has used a smart cover on an iPad 2 and an iPad Mini, I absolutely love the Smart Cover. I found mine very sturdy and does the job very well when in both modes. Just be sure not to press too hard or it can fold like others have said.

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
As someone that just bought the Smart Cover I have to say I really like it. I had a leather case from encase but I didn't really like how much bulk it added. The smart case seems sturdy enough and fits the iPad nice and snug.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
The Smart Cover has crap viewing angles. I've been using one for 6 months and while the portability is great, landscape angles are an issue. I more-or-less use it to cover the screen and prop it up in the typing mode only.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I would not buy an iPad without a Smart Cover. It's one of the most ingenious accessories I've seen in a while. Love it. For the back, I just put on a frost Caudabe Shell which has served me very well in the past half year. Transparent and looks/feels great.

ImpKali

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Uh, no. i 'm not getting a transparent case because I'm a smug hipster who wishes to flaunt wealth. Rather, I just think that I have a beautiful device and would like to enjoy looking at it instead of forgetting what it looks like under a case. It was the exact same when I used a Xoom.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
I had the smart case for less than a week and returned it.
The typing angle was nice , but I wasn't keen on landscape. Too steep an angle with the lip of the case.
Might not be an issue with the cover though. The case didn't fit great either but again a non issue on the cover.
I didn't do the cover alone because the magnet only thing bothers me. I could see it falling off or moving around on me and voted against it

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I like using a transparent case because I have a vinyl sticker on my iPad and want to show it off while still protecting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.