Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by The Verge, Intel late yesterday released details on its next-generation integrated graphics offerings arriving as part of the company's Haswell processor lineup. The new graphics options consist of three primary levels: an Intel HD Graphics 5000 to be packaged as part of 15-watt chips destined for ultrabooks, an Intel "Iris" Graphics 5100 to be paired with 28-watt mid-range chips targeted at larger ultrabooks, and an Intel "Iris Pro" Graphics 5200 for the highest-power chips.
The company claims its new Intel "Iris" Graphics, embedded in upcoming Haswell CPUs, can offer double or triple the performance of the Intel HD Graphics 4000 that comes with current Ivy Bridge processors. That's significant: typically each generation offers only a double-digit percentage boost.

That doesn't mean every new Haswell processor will come with quite that level of graphics performance, though.
haswell_iris_graphics.jpg
AnandTech has more, highlighting how ultrabooks, which would include Apple's MacBook Air, will see a lesser but still significant boost in graphics performance with Intel HD Graphics 5000.
Although Ultrabooks (now 15W) won't get full blown Iris performance, they should still see a healthy increase in GPU performance compared to where they are today (50% improvement in 3DMark) at a lower TDP. The move to a full speed GT3 part (Iris) should more than double performance in 3DMark.
haswell_ultrabook_graphics.jpg
Apple is expected to embrace Intel's forthcoming Haswell chips in its next-generation notebook lineup, which may be introduced as soon as next month's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Article Link: Intel Shares Details on New 'Iris' Integrated Graphics for Haswell Chips

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
It's funny how wattage used to never be a listed spec. My times have changed. ;-)

polymersayb

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
No Macbook Pro series?!

Ok now I am very confused. Would it be possible for a knowledgeable someone to make a quick table with new chips, the integrated graphics that come with it, and the expected Apple product these would go into? And maybe wattage? I would appreciate it a ton.

Specifically, I'm trying to gauge how good the integrated graphics will be in the Haswell 13" rMBP. I'd rather have the 13" form factor and I don't generally have much use for dedicated graphics, but this will be a very expensive, multi-year investment.

jlehman

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
Not as impressed as I thought I would be. Most people aren't going to buy a MBA or MBP with the top spec CPU. Most people buy the base model. All in all it's still better than 2012 models and probably better than some of the dedicated AMD models from 2011 (6630m mainly).

lucasrant

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
Ok now I am very confused. Would it be possible for a knowledgeable someone to make a quick table with new chips, the integrated graphics that come with it, and the expected Apple product these would go into? And maybe wattage? I would appreciate it a ton.

Specifically, I'm trying to gauge how good the integrated graphics will be in the Haswell 13" rMBP. I'd rather have the 13" form factor and I don't generally have much use for dedicated graphics, but this will be a very expensive, multi-year investment.

yes please!

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Blah blah blah, every year Intel produces a new CPU that's suppose to be faster and more efficient, as if the previous one was slow as molasses and every year people here fall for it and get in the mood of "Gotta have it, Gotta have it". And people say that Apple is the one trying to make all sorts of profits. ;)

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Blah blah blah, every year Intel produces a new CPU that's suppose to be faster and more efficient, as if the previous one was slow as molasses and every year people here fall for it and get in the mood of "Gotta have it, Gotta have it". And people say that Apple is the one trying to make all sorts of profits. ;)

How dare intel make progress! Its just awful, a pentium 4 was fast enough for everyone.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

:confused::confused::confused:

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Mac Pro

Looks like a good starting point for the new Mac Pro, or if the Mac Pro has to use Xeon just call the lower end machine a Mac. Either way I would buy a core i7 tower Mac today if it were available.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Well, they do release faster chips each year, no 'suppose' about it. It's the tick-tock cycle; they're not at all secretive about when they're releasing new chips. Even though the performance of their CPU absolutely blitz the likes of AMD, they continue to release better CPUs as and when they can -- and there's nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Unless you'd prefer they released new chips every 2 years, meaning you're paying 2013 prices for 2011 hardware? Now that's the Apple mentality. ;)

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I just want to know which one the MacBook Air is getting. That chart is confusing.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
So we know the total package (CPU+GPU) will be faster. But will it run cooler (and thus quieter) at the same time? My current 2011 15" MBP is so quick to rev it's fans, it's really put me off.

That's the biggest selling point for me.

Last edited:

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I'll get a new macbook pro retina in a few years. software updates are fixing the lag experienced in the current generation. more updates to come :)

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
Looks like a good starting point for the new Mac Pro, or if the Mac Pro has to use Xeon just call the lower end machine a Mac. Either way I would buy a core i7 tower Mac today if it were available.

What?.. a tower using an integrated graphics chip instead of a dedicated video card?

Talk about killing off the MacPro..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.