Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phaedarus

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2008
I've personally had my iPhone stolen and the first thing the thief did was turn my phone off. I used the "find my iPhone" app for days and the thief never once turned the phone on when I checked, basically making the app useless.

I think a 4 digit password should be entered every time you try to turn the phone off, this might buy you some time to actually put the "find my iPhone" app to use.

Just a suggestion, but it could be effective in helping to stop amateur thieves.

I've got an ancient 3G phone myself with only basic apps since it's too slow to play games or use any modern apps so I'm curious, how does the thief make use of the phone without turning it on? What procedures do they employ to disable security on a modern iphone?

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
I think a 4 digit password should be entered every time you try to turn the phone off

But surely that could be defeated if the thief just installed Google Now and let the battery drain to zero within a few seconds... :cool:

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I've personally had my iPhone stolen and the first thing the thief did was turn my phone off. I used the "find my iPhone" app for days and the thief never once turned the phone on when I checked, basically making the app useless.

I think a 4 digit password should be entered every time you try to turn the phone off, this might buy you some time to actually put the "find my iPhone" app to use.

Just a suggestion, but it could be effective in helping to stop amateur thieves.

Good idea, i wonder if there is a jailbreak tweak for that...hmmm

You may think this sounds cazy but I think Apple wouldnt implement a kill switch (unless it was reversible) for environmental reasons. Imagine, a bunch of bricked iphones would probably just end up in the bin. For a green company like Apple thats big on recycling, that would be a bad manoeuvre.

Last edited:

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
Other reason department

...some law enforcement authorities have begun pressing smartphone manufacturers to build a kill switch into phones.

;) And NOT because they are all that concerned with the theft of your phone or having it returned to you.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
If you're phone is passcoded, I think a passcode to turn the iPhone off would help too with would-be thieves turning the phones off till they get home or a pawn shop or wherever to reset/restore them.

I sure hope Apple does release a phone with a fingerprint scanner.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If you're phone is passcoded, I think a passcode to turn the iPhone off would help too with would-be thieves turning the phones off till they get home or a pawn shop or wherever to reset/restore them.

I sure hope Apple does release a phone with a fingerprint scanner.

Then the thief will press both the power and the home button to force reboot your phone and make it enter DFU mode so that it can be restored as a new phone. This feature is very important when your phone freezes or is overloaded with a buggy app that significantly heats up your phone and Apple will not disable it.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
If you live in a big city and use an expensive mobile device in public, your chances of getting robbed and/or assaulted for it are high.

If you live in a city you take your life into your hands every minute of every day! My little town is just like a Norman Rockwell painting, and we like it that way.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Again I'm going to say it; no technical solution is going to be enough, as there will always be some way to circumvent it, or some limit to how far a company can realistically go in adding anti-theft features to a device, when the number of phones stolen is in the minority so it's just not worth investing so much time in.

Also again; except in cases where the phone is stolen through burglary or mugging then the fault is entirely with the owner of the phone. There are so many simple steps to take to make sure your valuable gadgets are safe when you're out and about, but still people leave them hanging out of bags, or put them in pockets that don't have a fastener of any kind, or leave them in stupid places like resting on a table or in a bag on the floor.

It's been the deal with laptops for ages, the only difference is that phones are easier to steal and more people have them.

People need to do more to stop their own devices from being stolen in the first place; keep it in a pocket or bag with a fastener, don't leave it lying out anywhere, don't leave bags unattended or somewhere that is easy for a thief to get to.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Have is probably the correct word to use. It suggests Apple is a collective of people in a group, which is what a company is. Has suggests Apple is one thing, a singular, one mighty being overseeing all.

I am British.

For british it is the correct thing, but not over here! lol
It seriously sound VERY weird to me, just not used to it.

And for me Apple is a single corporation, it's a corporation where millions of people work at but it's still one company.

I am not judging you cause I know british is different in some ways, just saying^^

ronwasserman

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Los Angeles
What a surprise that Apple have no interest in stopping theft. My Iphone was taken to an Apple store after it was stolen and the phone was on the list. Apple did absolutely nothing even tho they knew stolen. Cheers Apple!

They look at the thief's as new customers who will buy apps and songs. Why shut the stolen phone down and lose revenue? (I am being sarcastic here.)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
well find my phone sure does not help if you lose it in a public place with every 2nd person having an iPhone

not sure why you'd say that since you can trigger the system to make a sound on your iPhone and only your iPhone. if you know the phone is there and on because the program found it, how hard would it be to look around for the chirping phone.

of course that presumes that the program will find your phone. Any smart iphone theft will immediately put it into Airplane mode so it can't be found and remotely locked and then kill find my iPhone. Or even just power it off until they can take it to a place with no wifi, pop out the active sim and put in a blank one then DFU restore it.

----------

Would it be that difficult to integrate Apple's Find my Phone service with their activation network?

IE if I have reported a phone as lost/stolen... that info should be pushed to the device even if it is wiped and tries to activate again.

They probably could do it (or something similar) but they would have to set up legal protocols to insure that the phone really was lost or stolen and it's not you getting back at an ex or such. If they required that you fill out a police report before they do anything they would weed a lot of that out due to folks being too lazy to go to that much effort or the risk of legal trouble if you are caught filing a false report.

Then again there are ways to tweak phones and put in a different serial etc. So even if they created this 'blacklist' all someone would need is a good serial etc for that model phone and they could bypass that system

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010

Or they could have a remote way to turn your phone back on, even if just goes into a low power use 'find me' mode.

pooprscooper

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
What a surprise that Apple have no interest in stopping theft.

You're a dee de dee...

Apple has gone to some expense to develop the 'Find My iPhone' service and to encourage iPhone owners to activate the service during the setup process.

Google does not include any such service in Android

My Iphone was taken to an Apple store after it was stolen and the phone was on the list. Apple did absolutely nothing even tho they knew stolen. Cheers Apple!

:cough: BS

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I think that Find My iPhone is a nice little feature to help out if your phone is lost or stolen. However, It's not up to Apple to find our phones if we lose them or have them stolen. I find it somewhat funny when someone gets their phone stolen because they forgot it at a party but then complain at how useless Find My iPhone is. I've had my 1st gen iPod Nano stolen back in high school, so I know the feeling, and it's not a good one at all. However, you just gotta learn to keep a better eye on your stuff and not get pissed at Apple if you lose it or have it stolen.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
There could be a very simple solution.

Apple could add an I'm alive signal to the firmware of the iPhone, on par with a server authentification. That way the iPhone could send a signal with current phone number and location before booting to an apple server. If the phone is clear then it's good to go, if its not, then an email with location and current number could be sent to the email of the original owner.

That paired with imei blocking from carriers (in my country that is already done) would make it much more difficult for thieves to get it running.

Nonetheless the easiest solution is for people to ask for the original box of the device when buying an used one. That would kill almost immediately the market of stolen iPhones.

The policy for stolen devices should be the same as fake money. It doesn't matter if you did it or not. If an authority catch you with fake money, it will be confiscated.

omnimoeish

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Imagine if Apple could track the phone once it's been stolen. You would be able to catch every phone thief. You'd probably clean up half the criminals in the country within a few months.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
International = Ha

Well, so much for this idea... Well done Apple.. :p

All of this its useless, if the theft is smart enough to reset the phone, or keep it turned off before

and lets not forget, disconnecting from all networks... Or simply turn off iCloud . That's what i'd do, if i was a theft :) Preventive measure.

I actually find it more funny that people USE 'Find my iPhone' to track their stolen phone.. or the idea that in order to use it an Find my iphone app needs to be on the device........ Couldn't Apple have done better ?

Last edited:

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I suggest to have somebody develop a sleeve that goes over/around the iPhone and makes it look like and old outdated cellular flip phone.

Kind of like the wrap around labels you can buy to make a can look like Coke or Pepsi out of a beer can in public.

Seriously, this is not Apple's problem.

As some thinking posters mention, there are legal implications and other issues.

For now Apple tries with FindMyPhone.

Better than nothing!
apple could do better, among other, snatch a picture of who is using the phone, or at least of the surroundings.

for the iphone not activating it just makes it an iPod Touch. Which still cost a bit of money and I can see people using it that way.
an iPod touch can still be located as it connects to wifi. Less precisely than by using a GPS, but still possible. And it could surely snap pictures f surroundings

I read some silly comment here implying that it is not the police's job to retrieve stolen things. And whose job is it, really?

attiland

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
UK
This is a non-story. Find My iPhone is far better as far as anti-theft than anything anyone else has. You can lock, remote wipe, or send messages to your phone if it's stolen. What else does the New York Times want Apple to do, hire a police force to stop the thieves?

The media coverage of Apple is becoming absolutely ridiculous. I'm almost ready to unfollow MacRumors just for giving this stupidity even more attention.

The feature is not protecting the phone and not collecting information. The theft can wipe the phone which makes the feature unusable. Find my iPhone is not protecting against anything really, but lets you find your phone when you left it under the blanket at home.
I have had 2 iPhone stolen, both occasion the theft managed to disable the location services within an hour, and change my apple ID so I had no longer access to the phone.
Wipe my phone = I give you my phone mate, well done :(

Returned phone stories after displaying the message is only available in marketing materials. Apple should able to do something after some security checks, to locate the phone and pass information to the police.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Apple is not to blame for the theft of your phone. If you choose to leave your phone unattended it's on you. Apple can't act as law enforcement, which is what some want them to do.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
The feature is not protecting the phone and not collecting information. The theft can wipe the phone which makes the feature unusable. Find my iPhone is not protecting against anything really, but lets you find your phone when you left it under the blanket at home.
I have had 2 iPhone stolen, both occasion the theft managed to disable the location services within an hour, and change my apple ID so I had no longer access to the phone.
Wipe my phone = I give you my phone mate, well done :(

Returned phone stories after displaying the message is only available in marketing materials. Apple should able to do something after some security checks, to locate the phone and pass information to the police.

I'm sorry, but when Apple to date has the best system there is as far as theft (even though you don't seem to think it's that great) and are just about the only ones with a cohesive tracking tool, I refuse to blame them for iPhone theft. This is just click bait Apple bashing at its finest. Nothing to see here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.