Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l0gikb0mb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
After a long day yesterday, my battery died. Came home, plugged it in and it was 9% before I went to bed. It was fully on.

Woke up to no alarm and iphone wouldn't wake from sleep. Didn't turn on either. It finally turned on when I held both lock and home button for 10 seconds.

Once on, it was 100% full charge. What happened??

l0gikb0mb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I thought I might have to. Could it be software though?

Is it common to get a worse "grainy" screen or other defects in the refurbs they give you for warranty replacements?

Edit: it seems after googling more, it looks like this is when iOS crashes so I'm guessing this is a totally software based problem.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
If it only happened once... I wouldn't stress yet. I've had my phone shut off occasionally. I'd just watch it and set a back up alarm for a few days.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure you just need a hard reboot. How many times does your PC/MAC just fail? Tons of times. No reason why a smart phone that is almost like a computer wouldn't.

canwe3

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
I made a thread on it too, average about once a month. rare but it happends. The hardware is fine, it's the OS that's crashing I think.

l0gikb0mb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I made a thread on it too, average about once a month. rare but it happends. The hardware is fine, it's the OS that's crashing I think.

So the phone dying and not responding to home or lock button is the crash still? I wouldn't think it's normal that a crash would stop the home and lock button from turning on the device.

Had to hold both down for 10 Sec which is a hard reset I think.

BigEm

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
The same thing happened to me twice. I noticed it after leaving it charging for too long (a couple of hours after 100%). It seems that it's not just responding to home button or power button presses immediately. I can wake it up by pressing the power button for 5 seconds or more. The screen will just light up then turn off for a split second. After that it will respond normally to home button or power button presses without even doing any hard resets.
It might be a software issue or it's just how it's supposed to work.

l0gikb0mb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
So this happened again, first time since the thread started. It was during the night like last time, although it wasn't charging all night this time. It was almost 100% before I went to bed again.

What's the deal? I woke up to no alarm again, iPhone wouldn't turn on unless I held both power button and home button for 10 seconds or whatever, a hard reset?

Is this still a software problem? Two times within almost 3 months. Should i get a replacement.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So this happened again, first time since the thread started. It was during the night like last time, although it wasn't charging all night this time. It was almost 100% before I went to bed again.

What's the deal? I woke up to no alarm again, iPhone wouldn't turn on unless I held both power button and home button for 10 seconds or whatever, a hard reset?

Is this still a software problem? Two times within almost 3 months. Should i get a replacement.

Try a restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.