Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fouracre44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Hi guys,

Firstly, let me say that I'm not flaming apple or any of it's fans, people that own apple products or am I deliberately trying to be negative. I don't expect or want any negative or spiteful comments. This is all my opinion based on my experience with apple products and other products.

Also, these prices are in Australia, where things are ridiculously expensive.

I originally wanted and still do want an iphone 5, after using an iphone 3gs, and an iphone 4s ( which was stolen at work ) I was looking around at which phone I would enjoy using, I went to the stores and tried out the samsung galaxy, htc one, and every phone I used, I missed the easy and fluid interface of IOS, I still enjoy that IOS the best, I think it's the most stable, its not fragmented and there's a great community for iphone apps & acessories for personal and business use.

I think it's an amazing device, which brings me to the price that apple is charging for their devices. I plan and simply won'y pay $800 for an iphone, nor will I go on a phone plan that sees me paying $2500 over two years. I can afford it, it's just that I don't think these devices are any where near worth what people are paying. Even in manufacturing, the markup on apple products is ridiculous. I looked at a few different iphone 5 options, and they are ridiculously priced.

I realised the iphone 4, a phone from 2010 is still 430 dollars prepaid, and the 4s still sells for 500+, I'm happy that apples products have high re sale value and everything but I fail to commit to two years paying a ridiculous amount for a piece of technology like the iphone when there are competitors who's hard ware is better and whos software is approaching the level of apple.

Samsung Galaxy s3 ( Yes, not the latest ) which easily holds its own compared to the iphone 5, I could get that for $350 on ebay, plus get a sim only plan for $30 - $40 a month. I am dissapointed, and I love apple but I really can't pay for it this year, especially with all the controvsery surrounding the build quality ( while more shock resistant than the gs3 ) the iphone 5 scratches incredibly easy. This is a MOBILE smart phone, why the hell are they putting this easy to scratch metal on there? I love the fact that samsung lets me remove the battery, insert sd cards and uses poly carbonate because I use a case anyway and it's tougher on the back.

I think Apple, a great company is actually loosing their edge on the competition, and I have decided to hop off the iphone bandwagon, and I'm going to settle with android, to get features that I miss like SD cards, removable and exchangeable batteries, and better prices. I believe that there is no value for money in the iphone and it's honestly, just too much of a PREMIUM consumer product.

I use my phone for my job & in my personal life, as a tool first & a media device second, I use it for calls, texts first, then things like a camera, gps, as I really dont have a need for a dedicated one of any of those things. Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me regarding iPhones over the past three years. Looking forward to seeing what apple brings out in the future. Not only jumping off the apple bandwagon but the " latest & greatest " bandwagon :) except for building a Haswell PC for home use when it comes out.

What do you guys think ? I actually still have an imac I use & I love their products. Anyone else decided not to get the iphone 5? Had the device been a little better, I think I would have gotten it.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I just pulled the trigger on a 64GB Black iPhone 5 (coming from a iP4) and loving it. All it needs is iOS 7 for the icing on the cake.
But i do agree that $1000 AUD is madness. I looked at the Nokia 920 and the HTC One but i realised that iOS 7 onwards Apple will lift their UI game.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Honestly, I felt like the post had a few contradictions. You say that you had a handful of iPhones already, but then that you don't believe the phones are worth the premiums. You point out you can afford it, but that you just don't want to; you can't justify it. Shortly after that, you state you can't pay for it this year, largely because of build quality. Huh? What am I missing here?

I agree that markups on the iPhone are heinous. But I feel like you are all over the place with this one.

Anyway, congrats on your galaxy s 3. I think you will like the phone. Have a look at android forums (phandroid) for some great information. It's basically MR for Android. :)

Fouracre44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Honestly, I felt like the post had a few contradictions. You say that you had a handful of iPhones already, but then that you don't believe the phones are worth the premiums. You point out you can afford it, but that you just don't want to; you can't justify it. Shortly after that, you state you can't pay for it this year, largely because of build quality. Huh? What am I missing here?

I agree that markups on the iPhone are heinous. But I feel like you are all over the place with this one.

Anyway, congrats on your galaxy s 3. I think you will like the phone. Have a look at android forums (phandroid) for some great information. It's basically MR for Android. :)

I agree with you actually haha. Like I said, I think I actually will miss IOS but I'm conflicted and the side that thinks " this is ridiculous " for the price got the better of me this time around. I can afford it, however I'm choosing not to pay what I consider to be too much. I understand the iphone 5 is built considerably well, somewhat better than other phones, although it's hardly good for a mobile device unless you use a case, with the easily scratched aluminum. And I'm not a tightass, nor do I particularly care about a few scratches, but with the surfaces I work around, or even on my desk the iphones back would quickly lose the paint job. I'm pretty careful with my phones too.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
I am planning on getting the 5s when it comes out this fall, but I'm in France so the monthly payments are relatively low (about 50euros for unlimited text, talk and data with French 4G). I can totally understand your frustration. I've always owned an iPhone, and would definitely consider the HTC One if I was you. The BEST Android phone I have had the opportunity to try over the years, the build quality on it is just ridiculously high.

Keep us posted on the decisions you make ! :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Agree, IP5 not that compelling for OP, as your other post specifies a fairly basic requirement, no games, no apps. Enjoy your Galaxy.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Good luck with your new phone.

I was curious to see how much $800 Australian is in British pound it works out to be £521.

So a new iPhone 5 sim free in UK 16 gig version is £529. So people in UK are paying more than people in Australia. That's crazy.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Look before you leap!

I had a Ip4 and was seduced by the screen size of the Galaxy S3. It was a good phone, but had some problems with bluetooth in my car, so when the Ip5 came out I switched back. I am very glad to be back in the Apple Eco System. If you have a problem you can bring your phone in to Apple or call them up. You can't do that with Android. Yeah, the Apple products are more expensive, but just look at it on a monthly basis, it's not that much more. Try an android phone for a couple of weeks and then you will probably bring it back and maybe pay a restocking fee. Good luck.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
There's a chance that after you've been using Android for a while, you'll miss iOS.

But if that doesn't happen, then good for you :)

And by a while, i'd give it 3-4 months. You don't start android for long, been there myself lol

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Good luck with the S3, its a lovely phone. I sold mine in favour for the iPhone 5 and its worked for me. Like yourself I just prefer iOS, but in my case I could justify the premium. Just get what you are happy with. There is no right answer and no phone is better than the other in all reality. They all do much the same thing but in different ways and are designed to suit different people. :)

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
All my I devices are a business expense and a tax right off, 2 iPhone 5's, 2 iMacs, mbpr and 2 iPads.

The iphone 5 for me is how i earn my living, have my free call no's diverted to it and don't have any land lines.

The op has a point a 1k 64gb which i have is a expensive toy for facebook and twitter. And a 2.5k contract (which is what i pay) is madness unless it is for a business.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I would't either if i had to pay so much out of pocket. In my area, Verizon is the only carrier with a decent service, so they get my business. They offer subsidized phones for the same overall price and rate and thus i have an iPhone 5.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Hi guys,

Firstly, let me say that I'm not flaming apple or any of it's fans, people that own apple products or am I deliberately trying to be negative. I don't expect or want any negative or spiteful comments. This is all my opinion based on my experience with apple products and other products.

Also, these prices are in Australia, where things are ridiculously expensive.

I originally wanted and still do want an iphone 5, after using an iphone 3gs, and an iphone 4s ( which was stolen at work ) I was looking around at which phone I would enjoy using, I went to the stores and tried out the samsung galaxy, htc one, and every phone I used, I missed the easy and fluid interface of IOS, I still enjoy that IOS the best, I think it's the most stable, its not fragmented and there's a great community for iphone apps & acessories for personal and business use.

I think it's an amazing device, which brings me to the price that apple is charging for their devices. I plan and simply won'y pay $800 for an iphone, nor will I go on a phone plan that sees me paying $2500 over two years. I can afford it, it's just that I don't think these devices are any where near worth what people are paying. Even in manufacturing, the markup on apple products is ridiculous. I looked at a few different iphone 5 options, and they are ridiculously priced.

I realised the iphone 4, a phone from 2010 is still 430 dollars prepaid, and the 4s still sells for 500+, I'm happy that apples products have high re sale value and everything but I fail to commit to two years paying a ridiculous amount for a piece of technology like the iphone when there are competitors who's hard ware is better and whos software is approaching the level of apple.

Samsung Galaxy s3 ( Yes, not the latest ) which easily holds its own compared to the iphone 5, I could get that for $350 on ebay, plus get a sim only plan for $30 - $40 a month. I am dissapointed, and I love apple but I really can't pay for it this year, especially with all the controvsery surrounding the build quality ( while more shock resistant than the gs3 ) the iphone 5 scratches incredibly easy. This is a MOBILE smart phone, why the hell are they putting this easy to scratch metal on there? I love the fact that samsung lets me remove the battery, insert sd cards and uses poly carbonate because I use a case anyway and it's tougher on the back.

I think Apple, a great company is actually loosing their edge on the competition, and I have decided to hop off the iphone bandwagon, and I'm going to settle with android, to get features that I miss like SD cards, removable and exchangeable batteries, and better prices. I believe that there is no value for money in the iphone and it's honestly, just too much of a PREMIUM consumer product.

I use my phone for my job & in my personal life, as a tool first & a media device second, I use it for calls, texts first, then things like a camera, gps, as I really dont have a need for a dedicated one of any of those things. Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me regarding iPhones over the past three years. Looking forward to seeing what apple brings out in the future. Not only jumping off the apple bandwagon but the " latest & greatest " bandwagon :) except for building a Haswell PC for home use when it comes out.

What do you guys think ? I actually still have an imac I use & I love their products. Anyone else decided not to get the iphone 5? Had the device been a little better, I think I would have gotten it.
so your will to buy a used S3 but not a used iPhone 5? No scratches on my phone yet but u can buy a case. The iPhone 5 is awesome does not need to be a little better( its just a phone) nothing in this world is perfect.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I have both, used Galaxy S3 exclusively for 2 weeks and it already had me running back to iOS. The battery life...is terrible. You're in for a surprise, my S3 will lose 30%+ battery in standby while I'm asleep. Iphone loses 1 or 2%. That's just one example, I can name 30.

It takes forever to charge up too, i once compared with my iphone 5 drained to 42% and S3 with 67% plugged in at the same time, iphone not only got to 100% first but it did a full hour before the Galaxy which had an advantage. Camera? iPhone. S3 does have cool settings but photos look better on the 5.

I do think the S3 is better for watching movies on and I wanna say surfing the web, except the touchscreen sensor works smooth as butter on iOS but I always hit the wrong link on MR when I browse on the S3. Also the difference in build quality is obvious. It is nicer to have a bigger screen, but at 4.8" it's not easy one handed use.

Last edited:

jaenicky

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
I'm from Australia too and brand new S3 are now sold for $390AU where as iPhone 5 is still more than $750. I love my iPhone 5 but I think it's little overpriced.

Fouracre44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
I'm not even biased towards a galaxy at this point, I'm literally just looking around at next generation smart phones that seem to all be quite well priced, except iphones of course, to me my mobile is a tool first, I don't know why I'd need all these features on a phone and honestly, it's too much here, I know people don't mind, but my money is REALLY important to me, I don't necesarrily care about money nor is it a motivation for me, but I think it'd be wasteful ending up paying around $2400 for an iphone 5 over two years, when after two years the phone will have been surpassed.

It's honestly not worth it, and I don't want to waste money going from ios, to android, to wp, to blackberry trying out all the operating systems. I don't want to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars of a primarily communication device, but I'm still going to get a smart phone, I'm looking at last generation and seeing where I can get great deals. Man, if only the iphone 5 had GOOD plans in Australia that offered a good value in terms of performance / price rather than just charging really high for a good service.

I don't think I'll be " running " back to ios soon, I'm not leaving because I didn't like it, I'm leaving because the premiums are too much, I don't think its fair on consumers to put such bs prices on these products. I feel that the iphone 5 doesn't have the same durability and build as past iphones, sure it's pretty, sure it beat the gs3, but the competition is closing in, and price is a major factor for some people.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Interesting. In the States, the price difference is next to nothing. A 16Gb S4 is the same $199 as a 16Gb iPhone 5 on ATT. Even the unsubsidized prices are within $100 of the same. Correction: the 16Gb unlocked iPhone 5 is $649 from Apple, no contract. Same price as S4:$649. The 32Gb is $749 unlocked, no contact.

Maybe it's the carrier that is ripping Aussie consumers off,

Last edited:

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Interesting. In the States, the price difference is next to nothing. A 16Gb S4 is the same $199 as a 16Gb iPhone 5 on ATT. Even the unsubsidized prices are within $100 of the same.

Maybe it's the carrier that is ripping Aussie consumers off.

In the UK as well prices vary massively between top end android and iPhones (on contract).

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Good luck with your new phone.

I was curious to see how much $800 Australian is in British pound it works out to be £521.

So a new iPhone 5 sim free in UK 16 gig version is £529. So people in UK are paying more than people in Australia. That's crazy.

Yep, but consider that our Goods and Services Tax (GST) is only 10%. Your VAT is 20% no?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I'm not even biased towards a galaxy at this point, I'm literally just looking around at next generation smart phones that seem to all be quite well priced, except iphones of course

If I were you (an iPhone user migrating to Android), I would wait for the next GED device to be announced (Google Experience Device - usually, but not always Nexus). This is rumoured to be at Google I/O, May 15-17.

These devices have the following benefits

1. Pure Android experience, devoid of OEM and carrier bloat.
2. First devices to get software updates which come directly from Google.
3. Highest app compatibility as they are frequently used as developer devices.
4. Unlocked bootloader
5. Trivially easy to root.
6. As Google is involved in the hardware development of these devices, they have the highest degree of "vertical integration" found in the Android world.
7. Very small profit margin and are extremely good value for people who buy unsubsidised.

Former iOS users are less likely to notice deficits in areas they previously took for granted (eg software updates).

It all depends on if you like the hardware they release later this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.