Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

estorstenson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Some friends of mine and I are looking for a game to play. 3 of us are on Mac (2 of them can dual boot) and 1 is on PC. We tried Civ 5, but got tired of spending an hour to play 10 or 12 turns due to someone having to reboot or restarting the host. So, please no Aspyr junk;)

There was mention of Total War, but Steam doesn't show any mac versions, and I was under the impression that Empire: Total War isn't ready for Multiplayer yet.

So, any suggestions in this vein? We would prefer to spend the majority of our time playing, and not watching logos spin around, like we've found with Civ 5.

MasConejos

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Houston, TX
I host a bi-yearly lan party of mixed mac/pcs. We play
Left4Dead2 (steam)
Galcon Fusion (steam)
Babo: Madballs (steam)
Garrison Gang 2 (windows only, but plays well in crossover)
Armagettron (open source)

We've also done
Serious Sam (steam)
Dota (warcraft 3, requires rosetta, but patches to universal binary)

You might also look into
Minecraft
Terraria (plays in crossover, but can't host game from crossover)
League of Legends
Horde (steam)
Team Fortress 2 (steam)
AI Wars (steam, high learning curve)

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Quake 1/2/3 should do you fine.

UT2004 *should* be fine but I haven't tried it over a PC over LAN in ages. The original Power PC OS X version of the original UT could play over LAN against Cider-ized Windows versions under OS X, IIRC, but I think I recall some issue with it against a proper Windows version. And I think the proper Windows version vs Cidizered Windows versions under OS X worked fine.. I think, lol. If you follow all that.

Warcraft 3 goes fine last time I checked. Steam games *should* work fine if they're both on Steam official but then you've got Steam issues and it's not really your own LAN you're playing on so there can be issues, I *think*, I've only just got myself a decent Intel Mac again so I won't say more until I played around a bit more. Good times ahead :)

estorstenson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I should have mentioned that I don't enjoy FPS. I'll look through these suggestions tonight.

I think we would prefer strategy type games.

I saw that Total War Rome was available from Feral. I think that's multiplayer. If so, does anyone have any experience with it. Does it work well with 4 players of mixed OS?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I should have mentioned that I don't enjoy FPS. I'll look through these suggestions tonight.

I think we would prefer strategy type games.

I saw that Total War Rome was available from Feral. I think that's multiplayer. If so, does anyone have any experience with it. Does it work well with 4 players of mixed OS?

Due to how Creative Assembly designed the multiplayer code Mac<-> is not possible.

Sorry.

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.