Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Vox Music Player was originally created as a universal media player in 2007. Its simple design and its support for a wide range of file types led to a surge in popularity, but development stalled and it largely fell out of the public eye. Coppertino, an independent development studio that focuses on Mac and iOS software, has since adopted and redesigned the media player.

voxplayer.jpg
Vox 1.0 retains the minimalistic design of the original software, but comes equipped with a number of upgrades. It supports a wide variety of audio formats like MP3, FLAC, AAC, Musepack, Ogg Vorbis, WAV, and more, plus it integrates easily with iTunes.

The app supports a number of music sources including network drives, external hard drives, and VPN-connected storages and its built-in equalizer comes equipped with presets and adjustments to improve the listening experience.
- VOX 1.0 supports literally any source your Mac can access. Add music from external HDDs, network drives and VPN-connected storages.
- Supports multiple output devices using AirPort.
- Built-in equalizer with a variety of presets and adjustments.
- Transforms ordinary stereo source into 7.1 or 5.1 channel output.
- Bauer Stereo feature provides more realistic sound when listening to stereo music through headphones.
- Your music automatically pauses when your headphones are disconnected.
- Handy controls available from OS X main menu and VOX Dock icon.
- Full OS X gesture support including altering playlist height, switching music sources or adjusting volume.
Vox 1.0 will enter open beta next week, but MacRumors readers can sign up to download the beta version of the app immediately from the Coppertino website.

Article Link: Redesigned Vox Music Player 1.0 Offers Minimalistic Interface and Support for Multiple File Types

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Wow, very smooth and pretty on my rMBP. I've been getting really damn sick of iTunes lagging all over the place with my big library. Liking it.

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
Very neat

This is one of best designed Mac apps I have seen in a while.

If I remember correctly, the old Vox supported Audio Unit plugins. This seems to be gone in this version. Also, it can only show tracks grouped by Albums.

But still beats iTunes.

vividmethod

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
The whole reason for using this app is to avoid the dreaded memory hog that is known as iTunes. That said, OS 10.7 and 10.8 are guilty of being memory hogs as well.

That said, they REALLY need to make this 10.6.8 compatible!

Fantastic app, love the fact that they kept the option to load all music in a folder automatically. I'm still using version 0.2.8, and with that said, they need to add a few things;

- make it snap to corners of the desktop to move it to the very edge of a screen (just like Adium)
- Make it Snow Leopard Compatible!

Last edited:

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
I have some 5.1 encoded audio files that quit working in 10.8 on iTunes (DTS encoded lossless files).

My 4-channel FLAC files, which I can output properly via optical out on Windows just say "FLAC-HD" in this new Vox player, and don't come across as surround files on my receiver.

Where can we set up the mentioned surround sound settings?

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
It's a neat application, but it has some silly problems.

For one, the scrolling sucks. If you're using a magic mouse it slows down way too fast when you lift.

Also, they're including "The" when they sort. That's mildly annoying since I'm used to iTunes not doing that (plus its better this way).

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I've used the Vox player for a few months since moving to Mac. I had Vox recommended to me by someone on another forum and I think its a great music player. Its simple, but plays a lot of different formats. Its the only music player I use.

I look forward to seeing the redesigned player. :D

uncle.zed

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
The whole reason for using this app is to avoid the dreaded memory hog that is known as iTunes. That said, OS 10.7 and 10.8 are guilty of being memory hogs as well.

Fantastic app, love the fact that they kept the option to load all music in a folder automatically. I'm still using version 0.2.8, and with that said, they need to add a few things;

- EQ settings are missing
- make it snap to corners of the desktop to move it to the very edge of a screen (just like Adium)

There is a EQ when You click on volume button!

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....

Exactly!
I downloaded the app before I found out it doesn't work on SL.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
It seems to be limited to 2 different outputs (plus System Default).

I have an Apple TV and also run Air Server on my MBP. Only System Default, Air Server, and Built-in Output appear in the list in Preferences and Air Server and Built-in when I click the volume button.

If I quit Air Server then my Apple TV appears in its place.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Really like the concept and the visuals, but maybe I'm doing something wrong, but making playlists from within the app is a bit of a pain.

I can right click a song and add to playlist easy enough, but if you use the search feature to find a song in the iTunes library, I can't right click it. And double clicking actually opens the file, and starts to play it.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Does it have Resume Playback? Such essential feature (mostly to hear long playlists from head to toe, resuming playback when the Mac is rebooted) was available in SoundJam MP back in 2000 from where iTunes was developed.

thewolfro

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
Interesting concept but i am still struggling to find the playlists i have created in itunes.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
I can't see or play my itunes playlists? :confused:

Also I miss navigating with just a letter press. So that pressing letter "R" brings me to artists with R.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.