Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Customers fled Blockbuster for the mail rentals. Blockbuster didn’t have them at first. The problem was that Netflix started their mail rental service a year or two before Blockbuster did.
"A year or two?" Try 6 years before Blockbuster. Plus the geniuses running Blockbuster had the chance to buy Netflix back in 2000 for 50 million but turned it down. That was 4 years before they offered their mail service.

All that said, who the heck cares about "by mail" anymore? This thread is about on-demand, where everything is headed.

Michael

Antares

macrumors 68000
"A year or two?" Try 6 years before Blockbuster. Plus the geniuses running Blockbuster had the chance to buy Netflix back in 2000 for 50 million but turned it down. That was 4 years before they offered their mail service.

All that said, who the heck cares about "by mail" anymore? This thread is about on-demand, where everything is headed.

Michael

True. I didn't try out Netflix until 2002, myself. Anyway, I'm not paying $4.99 to watch a digital download rental. I would rather pay a flat price per month and watch all I can. I've watched more movies with Blockbuster mail and Netflix mail than I have ever rented per month in a store. I have Amazon Prime and Blockbuster mail for my viewing needs. I have no interest in the iTunes movie rental and Blockbuster's individual movie download models. Subscription works better for me.

If I had to pay per movie for a digital download rentals, my limit would be $1.99. No more than that. Just as I refuse to pay more than $5.99 for buying a digital copy of a movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.