Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramenaddict

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Hi everyone,
I'm having a variety of issues with editing simple to complex projects in FCPX 10.0.8 and 10.0.7 on my 2012 iMac 24" 4GB RAM. (USB 2.0)

The drive will mount and appear fine in Finder. Importing into FCPX is usually fine. Then almost randomly, FCPX will freeze completely.

I've gone into Finder to make sure it's still mounted, and sometimes it is, sometimes you can see it under "Devices," but when you click to show contents it freezes Finder, forcing me to Relaunch Finder.

Does anyone else have similar problems? The only thing I can guess is that there is something up with the iMac USB 2.0 talking to the G-Drive USB 3.0 while using FCPX?

These issues are quite persistent. I'm a teacher, and we give these drives to all students taking the class, using these same iMacs. Many students are having issues like this and I can't figure it out. It's driving me insane!:mad:

zyr123

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
no problems at all

I have had zero problems with the g mini, while using my macbook pro. I connected it through thunderbolt to fw, since a plastic fw cord broke of in my fw port. So possibly your problem the problem is usb 3.0, try connecting the g mini through fw 800 instead of usb 3.0.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Not enough of a computer wiz to help properly, but you'd be better off plugging the drive into a FireWire port. USB is not good for video editing, especially USB 2.0. Plugging a USB 3.0 device into a USB 2.0 port (Or vice versa) will only give you the speed of the slower interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.