Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I formated it in "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", I configured the partition into "Apple Partition Mac" (because I want to install for a PPC Mac), I formated, I did the restore function, and now, it doesn't work! The USB didn't take the name of "Mac OS X Install DVD", when I open it, I see hidden files, I don't see the background with the huge "X", and it doesn't seem to recognize it as a bootable drive. Did I made something wrong?

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I formated it in "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", I configured the partition into "Apple Partition Mac" (because I want to install for a PPC Mac), I formated, I did the restore function, and now, it doesn't work! The USB didn't take the name of "Mac OS X Install DVD", when I open it, I see hidden files, I don't see the background with the huge "X", and it doesn't seem to recognize it as a bootable drive. Did I made something wrong?

In disk utility, make sure you check the box that says "erase destination", in order to make the disk a startup disk. From the disk utility help section, step 4:

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I've booted Linux from a USB flash drive on my Sawtooth, MDD and iBook G4 more times than I can remember. It is my preferred method for testing new versions.

On my G4 towers, it is as easy as holding down the option key, and then choosing the USB flash drive from the drives/partitions that appear in the startup manager. (I think it's called the startup manager, or maybe it's the disk manager.)

For the iBook G4 (mid-2005 model), I must use the Open Firmware method. Hold down the Command-Option-O-F key combination while starting up. At the Open Firmware prompt, type one of the following lines, depending on which USB port you use:

boot usb0/disk@1:2,\\yaboot

or

boot usb1/disk@1:2,\\yaboot

Works every time.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Just to back up the truth here is a method I follow every time for my g4 http://blog.campodoro.org/?p=43 and for making the drive it should be the apple partition map and you restore the .DMG to the drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.