Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 that share the same apple ID. Its an ISP email address that ends .net. I want to get away from using this address before I purchase my new iMac (when released). I have a mobile me account that I migrated to iCloud some time ago that ends @me.com. I want this to become my apple ID as its the only email address I use. The iPad is mostly used by my wife who uses the .net address. When I try to change my apple ID it says I can't change to a @me.com address. I have read quite a few threads on this and on apple's website. Is what I want to do possible? And if not why not?
To summarise this is what I want
1. iPhone (and new iMac) using @me.com apple I/d for iCloud and app store.
2. iPad using @me.com for app store purchases (but no iCloud on this device) but only receiving .net emails.
3. Both IOS and iMac able to share one synced calendar.

If this is possible can someone explain how to set it up in real simple terms. I guess I'm right in wanting to sort this before I get the iMac so I don't have to change it over after the initial set up.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well that sucks! Why does apple think we wouldn't want to use just one address? I think it could be much more simple if apple put their mind to it.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You can't change it to an @me account, but you can add your @me to your Apple ID and make it the primary email address. Just log in to appleid.apple.com and add it.

LVLady

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Ok, I finally got it!

I tried for days to update my Apple ID - nothing worked! I updated the ID online in iTunes, but I couldn't get it to update to my iPhone or iPad.

Finally, I found a solution (I guess you just gotta find the right message on Apple Supoort). Here's what I did:

Go to Settings, and scroll down to iTunes and App Stores
Tap the Apple ID field. An Apple ID screen will pop up.
Select Sign Out. Then just follow the screen prompts to enter the email address that you would like to be your Apple ID.
Tap the Done button.

As usual... It was Soooooo easy but so frustrating at the same time!

I'm no Apple Expert, but this immediately worked for me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
But I'm guessing you didn't just change to a @me.com did you? Changing the email address is easy enough as I've done it. It was that I specifically wanted to use my apple email address and you can't which is kind of annoying.

daytona

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
changing apple ID on the iPad

Yes, I have read and checked other posts. But I having no luck with accomplishing this task. Recently Apple asked to change my Apple ID....no problem except in my iPad when it first fires up it asks me for my Password BUT still has my old Apple ID. So I have to hit cancel. I have tried the "iTunes & App Stores" method and the "General" area fix and no luck there.
So any additional advice would greatly appreciated.

daytona

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
I have tried that but when I start the iPad again the old ID is still there. ALSO, I JUST noticed that I added to this thread. I apologize for jacking the thread, I thought I started a new thread.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have tried that but when I start the iPad again the old ID is still there. ALSO, I JUST noticed that I added to this thread. I apologize for jacking the thread, I thought I started a new thread.

Not a problem. It's an old thread anyway. Jack away!

Do you have an up to date back up of your iPad on your Mac or PC? If so could you do a factory restore and set up as new again with your back up? If you back up go the cloud, it should work the same way but obviously your going to have to trust all your info is there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.