Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
I've had numerous 27" iMac replacements and now it seems as if I'm SOL. I've had to have quite a few iMac replacements for my 27" for a bad airport card, non functional bluetooth, cosmetic damage (imac had giant scratches on the front of it) and bad backlight bleeding. I've been on the phone with Apple and Applecare for these issues more than I would ever care to be on the phone with Apple for, diagnosing the DOA models took the longest.

Anyhow I emailed Tim Cook, which got sent over to the Executive Relations team (Apple Customer Relations in Austin, TX). They handled my newest iMac, which was the one with the wifi problem. Was on the phone with Applecare for around 2 hours trying to fix that. Well they don't want to send me another replacement, won't send me another replacement. Told me if I wanted to I could get it repaired, I said what was the difference" And I kept getting excuse after excuse. So after calling Applecare again they decided to issue me a replacement after I sent back my defective iMac. The replacement was supposed to arrive on Monday. Well, it didn't arrive. I called FedEx and they said Apple called to have it returned to them. So the guy who was handling my case had my iMac sent back to Apple because I wasn't supposed to get a replacement. That disgusts me, the iMac was no more than 15 miles from my house. Oh not only that but after he called me on the phone to tell me how furious he was because I "went behind his back" to get an iMac replacement, I am no longer allowed to shop at the Apple online retail store. I'm banned.

This is the biggest load of crap I've ever had to deal with. I think for $2500, I should have a computer that works properly. I do not know who else to contact because when I call the online store I'm directed back to Executive Relations. And when I talk to the guy handling my case at Executive Relations, I ask if I can speak to someone else or his superior. He tells me I am only allowed to talk to him. I call BS. Most people at Executive Relations are just kids... well mid 20's.

At this point I don't know if I want to own an Apple product and they don't seem to care. I guess me buying 12-13 computers, 4 ipads, 7 iphones, and 5 iPods (family) over the years doesn't mean anything.

This is probably in the wrong section, I don't know where else to post it. If anyone has any idea how to help, please let me know.

Last edited:

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
How bout you Man up and stop crying......

I received a new imac with a scratched up front and slightly bent ethernet port, you know what I did...... Enjoyed it.

Stop looking at life with the glass half full, there are many many more important things in life.

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010

I received a new imac with a scratched up front and slightly bent ethernet port, you know what I did...... Enjoyed it.

Stop looking at life with the glass half full, there are many many more important things in life.

I wasn't crying, I was complaining. And I'm glad you're happy with your scratched iMac, I'm not.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I find it strange that you had so many U /S replacements....One maybe, two sure, but I just can't see that many faulty Imacs winding up in your hands. If I were you I'd call upper tier support and explain calmly all issues.

The wifi problem might not even be Mac related...a router / modem etc.

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
I find it strange that you had so many U /S replacements....One maybe, two sure, but I just can't see that many faulty Imacs winding up in your hands. If I were you I'd call upper tier support and explain calmly all issues.

The wifi problem might not even be Mac related...a router / modem etc.

Executive Relations is the highest tier I believe. As for the wifi, I have an Airport Extreme and all my other devices worked fine on it. Was on the phone with Applecare upwards of 2 hours trying everything. Reset modem, router, changed settings, reset router with new settings, reset pram, smc, reinstalled OSX 10.8, moved the iMac to a different spot in the house. There were a few more things, but i don't exactly remember.

I blame FedEx more than Apple, one of my iMac boxes had a giant hole in the bottom of it, probably 4 inches wide. It went through both boxes (outer box and imac box). The computer would have had to have been dropped pretty high to have such force rip through both boxes. I mean those boxes are pretty sturdy/heavy duty.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Executive Relations is the highest tier I believe. As for the wifi, I have an Airport Extreme and all my other devices worked fine on it. Was on the phone with Applecare upwards of 2 hours trying everything. Reset modem, router, changed settings, reset router with new settings, reset pram, smc, reinstalled OSX 10.8, moved the iMac to a different spot in the house. There were a few more things, but i don't exactly remember.

I blame FedEx more than Apple, one of my iMac boxes had a giant hole in the bottom of it, probably 4 inches wide. It went through both boxes (outer box and imac box). The computer would have had to have been dropped pretty high to have such force rip through both boxes. I mean those boxes are pretty sturdy/heavy duty.

Do you have any USB 3 devices connected to the iMac, if so disconnect them, restart and try again, USB 3 interferes with 2.4 GHz Wifi.
Also, try a different router before calling again, and, many people complain about having issues with iMacs on 10.8.3.

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Do you have any USB 3 devices connected to the iMac, if so disconnect them, restart and try again, USB 3 interferes with 2.4 GHz Wifi.
Also, try a different router before calling again, and, many people complain about having issues with iMacs on 10.8.3.

I don't have the computer anymore, I sent it back and I can't get a replacement. The replacement was sent out to me by Applecare, but Executive Relations had it sent back to Apple because they (Executive Relations) didn't want me having another replacement.

And that was another thing they told me to do. Well, they never said anything about USB 3.0, they just said to unplug all devices from the unit.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I don't have the computer anymore, I sent it back and I can't get a replacement. The replacement was sent out to me by Applecare, but Executive Relations had it sent back to Apple because they (Executive Relations) didn't want me having another replacement.

And that was another thing they told me to do. Well, they never said anything about USB 3.0, they just said to unplug all devices from the unit.

So, a new one is on it's way now or are you having troubles with getting a new one.
USB 3 can interfere but it is mostly "solved" by moving the device away from the iMac.
Not all USB 3 devices will interfere, good shielding is important and cheap devices might not provide this.

As for the iMacs, nice and shiny but I think there's too much trouble with them, all of whom you had.

Btw, don't even respond to the first one which replied here, you have all the right to complain.

Oh yeah, tip, if you want a thread deleted, click on the report button and ask the mods to remove your thread, I did that already on your former 2 threads so no need to do this again.

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
So, a new one is on it's way now or are you having troubles with getting a new one.
USB 3 can interfere but it is mostly "solved" by moving the device away from the iMac.
Not all USB 3 devices will interfere, good shielding is important and cheap devices might not provide this.

As for the iMacs, nice and shiny but I think there's too much trouble with them, all of whom you had.

Btw, don't even respond to the first one which replied here, you have all the right to complain.

Oh yeah, tip, if you want a thread deleted, click on the report button and ask the mods to remove your thread, I did that already on your former 2 threads so no need to do this again.

A new one WAS on it's way, was supposed to be delivered to me on Tuesday. never came so I called FedEx, they told me Apple requested it shipped back to them. The guy at executive relations told me he "was furious" at me for going behind his back to get a replacement, he only wanted to give me a repair or refund option. So he told me he called FedEx and had the package sent back to Apple as I am not allowed to have another replacement and I'm now banned from the Apple Online Store for purchases.

Thanks for the thread delete tip, I never knew. Other forums I've been on just tell me to do what I've been doing. Thanks.

But yeah, the whole taking back the imac thing while it was in transit to my house? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

----------

21e989z.png

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
A new one WAS on it's way, was supposed to be delivered to me on Monday. never came so I called FedEx, they told me Apple requested it shipped back to them. The guy at executive relations told me he "was furious" at me for going behind his back to get a replacement, he only wanted to give me a repair or refund option. So he told me he called FedEx and had the package sent back to Apple as I am not allowed to have another replacement and I'm now banned from the Apple Online Store for purchases.

Thanks for the thread delete tip, I never knew. Other forums I've been on just tell me to do what I've been doing. Thanks.

But yeah, the whole taking back the imac thing while it was in transit to my house? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

----------

I understood that part, just wondering what's going to happen next?

Apple should get their act together, too many quality issues "lately".

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
I understood that part, just wondering what's going to happen next?

Apple should get their act together, too many quality issues "lately".

Oh, I have no idea. I am supposed to get a refund. And if I want to buy a Mac I have to either "buy it in an Apple store or from a 3rd party, but buying online isn't the solution for you". Just quoting what the rep told me. Btw it's a BTO so can't buy it in store, they don't have the same setup. :[

But I'm just so frustrated I'm about to go buy a PC, and I do not like using PCs. I haven't owned one in 11 or more years.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Oh, I have no idea. I am supposed to get a refund. And if I want to buy a Mac I have to either "buy it in an Apple store or from a 3rd party, but buying online isn't the solution for you". Just quoting what the rep told me. Btw it's a BTO so can't buy it in store, they don't have the same setup. :[

But I'm just so frustrated I'm about to go buy a PC, and I do not like using PCs. I haven't owned one in 11 or more years.

Build yourself a mackintosh would be a (much) better option than going to Windows.
Don't get it you got banned for this, are they so tight now, used to be the best service in the world.

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Build yourself a mackintosh would be a (much) better option than going to Windows.
Don't get it you got banned for this, are they so tight now, used to be the best service in the world.

Was thinking about that, but heard about a lot of problems with kernel panics, but others I've heard get theirs to run close to/or flawless. I don't know if we are allowed to talk about Hackint0sh on here. So if you have any suggestions please PM me, that would be greatly appreciated!!!

I mean if I really wanted to I could buy a gift card or give another family member money and they can buy it with their card and address, but don't want to impose. That and the fact that I'm banned? Why would I want to buy something there?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Was thinking about that, but heard about a lot of problems with kernel panics, but others I've heard get theirs to run close to/or flawless. I don't know if we are allowed to talk about Hackint0sh on here. So if you have any suggestions please PM me, that would be greatly appreciated!!!

I mean if I really wanted to I could buy a gift card or give another family member money and they can buy it with their card and address, but don't want to impose. That and the fact that I'm banned? Why would I want to buy something there?

We can refer to hackintosh here, that is no problem, even links to websites are not really a problem, but we don't talk on how to build your own and hack the OS.
Google "hackintosh", plenty of good sites.

Or, you could do the second part, order from family/friends accounts.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
So at this point you're waiting on a refund, correct?
FYI, they do carry some different variations of BTO Macs in Apple stores. It may not be exactly what you ordered but it might be pretty close that it may satisfy your needs.

Good luck!!

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Go to the store and order through them your spec you want. Have it delivered to the store and check it well before you leave.

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Go to the store and order through them your spec you want. Have it delivered to the store and check it well before you leave.

The store can order BTOs for customers? I mean I know when I first ordered it I had the option to ship to store or home. That may work. But I still want to get unbanned from the online store. Easier when new iPhones, iPads come out. Still frustrated over the whole matter.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
The store can order BTOs for customers? I mean I know when I first ordered it I had the option to ship to store or home. That may work. But I still want to get unbanned from the online store. Easier when new iPhones, iPads come out. Still frustrated over the whole matter.

No, that's not what I said. Some stores carry different configurations that are pre-built. You can't order a BTO but they may have something in stock that might fit the bill for you.

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
Since Apple have expanded the SSD options and had already carried the 1TB Fusion, max CPU and GPU BTO model, maybe they'll start carrying other BTO models.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Send the iMac back for a refund.

If you still "want Apple", get either a Mac Mini or a PowerBook.

That is all...

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
No, that's not what I said. Some stores carry different configurations that are pre-built. You can't order a BTO but they may have something in stock that might fit the bill for you.

You can order one as I have done it.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007

I suppose if Apple put a logo in a turd you'd be first in line to hand over your money.

Mitch619

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Here's what I think:

You can't expect a replacment for every little problem you spot. Especially backlight bleeding. They all have it. They already gave you replacements. If its just a wifi problem they can easily fix that. I'm not trying to be a dick but it just seems like you're abusing the return system because the machine isn't flawless. The bad part is that they offer to repair it and you refuse. I've had many issues repaired by them. I got a replacment only after they fixed one of my MacBooks 3 times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.